Case for a straight small bore

ttf_JLivorsi

Post by ttf_JLivorsi »

I'm sure this has been brought up before, but in my short research I couldn't find what I'm looking for. So here it goes...

I'm looking for a case that has a decent amount of storage, but also is somewhat slim. I want it to protect my horn really well. Some of the cases I've found seem to protect large bore tenors and there's not a lot to choose from for a straight tenor.

I play a King 3b and have a BAM softpack jazz case, and from a protection standpoint it's great, but the lack of storage is getting annoying. Plus the case has cracked by the bell and one of the pegs have fallen out. It's only a matter of time until a 2nd one falls out too.

Cases I've looked at:

Eastman - Doesn't seem to protect the horn as much as I'd like. Bell and slide seem to shift inside the case.
Protec - Seems like the next best option, but is pretty bulky. Has the storage I am looking for, but is more for large bores
BAM Classic - some friends of mine have these and I was not impressed with how the bell as stored. It moved around too much.

I do a lot of traveling with my horn, tossing it in and out of cars, trailers, and airplanes. I find it weird that the cases with storage don't protect the horn as well. The Protec contoured case seems to be the best of all worlds, but I wish it was made specifically for a straight small bore horns.

Any ideas of cases, that I might not have checked out? I feel like for what I do, I would need a hard case, but I'm willing to check anything out.

Thanks!
ttf_Posaunus

Post by ttf_Posaunus »

What to you want to "store" in your case?  Just a mouthpiece and a spray bottle, or lots of other stuff? 
ttf_greenbean

Post by ttf_greenbean »

Quote from: Posaunus on Sep 26, 2017, 03:42PMWhat to you want to "store" in your case?  Just a mouthpiece and a spray bottle, or lots of other stuff? 

I agree.  Wanting to carry a PB&J and a can of beer is different than needing to carry a stand and 3 or 4 mutes.  For example.
ttf_hyperbolica

Post by ttf_hyperbolica »

If you are going to be particular about protection, storage in the case has to be secondary. Get a backpack or a gym bag for your extra stuff. Storage space will be very expensive (and heavy) in a hardshell case.

This Protec has a modular inside so you can put padding where you want it. Plus it has a big outside pocket, might fit a wire music stand or a small instrument stand. This is probably the best compromise of function that you're looking for. https://www.hornguys.com/collections/trombone-cases/products/protec-ip306ct-ipac-tenor-trombone-case

This BoS seems suited for smaller horns https://www.hornguys.com/collections/trombone-cases/products/bags-of-spain-tenor-trombone-case-ev-ii-l

These SKBs seem popular among people who travel  http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/skb-skb-462-pro-universal-trombone-case?cntry=us&source=3WWRWXGP&gclid=Cj0KCQjw9afOBRDWARIsAJW4nvw4oSV24_SJkhCgAboAIsL-vakbALo2faEcQWg7S0MrYpobbMSduQ4aAmF9EALw_wcB&kwid=productads-adid^221925979422-device^c-plaid^323968336783-sku^544717000000000@ADL4MF-adType^PLA

I think these are the ones you see recommended most around here for travel, and they look sturdy.  https://www.hornguys.com/collections/trombone-cases/products/eastman-catb-16-tenor-trombone-case-2
ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist

Post by ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist »

I’ve been looking at the Protec Platinum. It looks like it’ll hold everything I usually bring to a rehearsal except mutes. For a gig I’d still have to carry my non-wire music stand. I’m currently just carrying all my mutes and stands ( except the full music stand ) and lights and accessories in a hard case about the size of a trumpet/flugel double case. That’s not so bad and you get to put your horn in the slimmest hardest case you can find. Like an SKB.

If you need a cup and plunger and a wire stand and all that in one trombone case maybe one of those heavy King coffin cases.

Always a compromise.
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

The Eastman case has a foam thing that you put the end of the slide around. When the compartment is closed, it really can't move.  If you order a new one, it comes with a modestly thick foam pad that you can use to cushion it.  The bell too can't really go anywhere because the contour of the flare portion of it prevents it from moving. You could theoretically also put washcloths or something under it but I've not had that problem even with a Bach 6 I used to have.  If you're really wanting to immobilize it, you can stick a styrofoam christmas tree in it like you would if you were flying.

But take that recommendation with a grain of salt. I'm a huge Eastman case sycophant.  They're light, protective, and watertight.  The biggest weakness to them is they don't specifically have a mouthpeice compartment, but I use a double pouch for storing mouthpieces.  That turns some people off.  I wish they'd take some of that foam in the part next to the bell flare and make a pouch out of it.
ttf_John the Theologian

Post by ttf_John the Theologian »

Some of the older Yamaha cases might work.  I bought a used one for my Blessins B88, but it also works well on my Conn 48H which is a small bore with 8 inch bell and would be similar in size to a King 3B.  They are sturdy, light in weight and have nice clasps.  They float around in eBay occasionally and seem durable so most are in good shape compared to other used cases.

Here are a couple of pics.  Neither has the flap on the accessory area that mine has, but they are similar.

http://www.used-trombones.com/2017/08/yamaha-ysl-354-trombone-with-case-plays-well-200/

http://www.used-trombones.com/2017/09/yamaha-ysl643-ii-fattachment-trombone-excellent/
ttf_Pre59

Post by ttf_Pre59 »

It sounds like you're looking for a case that's bigger on the inside than on the outside.
ttf_Dukesboneman

Post by ttf_Dukesboneman »

When ever I travel with a small bore horn I use one of the old French style Bach cases. I do play Bach`s.
Not a lot of storage but they fit in all the over heads. And when flying that`s what really counts
ttf_TromboneMonkey

Post by ttf_TromboneMonkey »

SKB all the way. 

Cheap, fairly durable, protective, and able to fly in any overhead bin.
ttf_JLivorsi

Post by ttf_JLivorsi »

Quote from: Posaunus on Sep 26, 2017, 03:42PMWhat to you want to "store" in your case?  Just a mouthpiece and a spray bottle, or lots of other stuff? 

Currently here's what I'm storing in my BAM case, and there's really not enough space for even this stuff.

2 mouthpieces
spray bottle / yamaha slide oil
IEM's
earplugs

Usually on a gig I'll bring the following in a separate bag:

auxiliary percussion (cowbell, tambourine, shaker)
iPad + iPad holder (way better than music stand and sheet music)
trombone stand

I'm just looking to consolidate everything. But maybe having an extra bag would be worth it to keep the compact case I'm looking for. But Pre59 might have hit the nail on the head

Quote from: Pre59 on Sep 27, 2017, 01:39AMIt sounds like you're looking for a case that's bigger on the inside than on the outside.

ttf_SilverBone

Post by ttf_SilverBone »

Quote from: Pre59 on Sep 27, 2017, 01:39AMIt sounds like you're looking for a case that's bigger on the inside than on the outside.

TardisCase®™! 
ttf_BillO

Post by ttf_BillO »

The Protec Max MX306CTS is small and light.  I can put my XO1632 (about the size of a 3B), lube, water bottle, mouthpiece in a Protec pouch (comes with the case) (could put 2 as there ate 2 internal MP compartments), cleaning rag, my playing glasses in a sturdy case, and a M&W 14990 trombone stand.  I have even put in an M&H wire stand too, but that is pushing it a bit.

They sell for about $90 or so.
ttf_BillO

Post by ttf_BillO »

The Protec Max MX306CTS is small and light.  I can put my XO1632 (about the size of a 3B), lube, water bottle, mouthpiece in a Protec pouch (comes with the case) (could put 2 as there ate 2 internal MP compartments), cleaning rag, my playing glasses in a sturdy case, and a M&W 14990 trombone stand.  I have even put in an M&H wire stand too, but that is pushing it a bit.

They sell for about $90 or so.

Return to “Accessories”