Best Gig Case For a Rath?

ttf_SKAzz

Post by ttf_SKAzz »

ok. i took the bait and bought a Rath R1.  great deal on my trade ins...etc etc etc.

Now the question, for you Rath owners, what is a good small case for the Rath?  I don't have an F attachement, but I do have a concern with the thumbscrew catching in the SKB that has held my 2B for over a decade.

Any suggestions for a case under $200?

thanks.
ttf_SilverBone

Post by ttf_SilverBone »

This Eastman case works well for me on small bore horns:

https://www.wwbw.com/J-Winter-CE-176-JW-Eastman-Series-Fiberglass-Trombone-Case-H75530.wwbw?source=TWWR5J1BB&cntry=us&currency=usd&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIs_K9pt301gIVV7jACh3HeAIJEAQYASABEgJwGPD_BwE

I've paid significantly less than the price on that web page (ca. $170).
ttf_vegasbound

Post by ttf_vegasbound »

Why buy a custom horn for thousands of dollars and then put it in a cheap gig bag??
ttf_Pre59

Post by ttf_Pre59 »

I used a SKB with my R10 and would remove the "Fawcett" after use and store it in the m/p pocket. Dang stupid design IMO..
ttf_Alex

Post by ttf_Alex »

Quote from: Pre59 on Yesterday at 06:19 AMI used a SKB with my R10 and removed the "Fawcett" after use and stored it in the m/p pocket. Dang stupid design IMO..

Yes, very stupid of SKB to design a multipuropse case that doesnt take all instruments.  Image
ttf_Pre59

Post by ttf_Pre59 »

Quote from: Alex on Yesterday at 07:21 AMYes, very stupid of SKB to design a multipuropse case that doesnt take all instruments.  Image

I accept that the SKB 360 is a skinny case made for a specific type of horn, it's the Rath that is at fault.
ttf_Alex

Post by ttf_Alex »

Quote from: Pre59 on Yesterday at 08:18 AMI accept that the SKB 360 is a skinny case made for a specific type of horn, it's the Rath that is at fault.

I think you will find the fault lies with the person who bought a case that doesnt fit the instrument they wish to use it with. I am sure there are plenty of other cases which, for whatever reason, fail to fit plenty of other trombones. Open wrap, thayers, hagmanns, bell size etc all cause problems with various after market cases. The instrument is not to blame. It is what it is. However, you are entitled to your viewpoint and can blame the wing nut if you so wish.
ttf_Keith

Post by ttf_Keith »

I've used an Eastman case for an R10 and an R1 with no problems.

ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

I'm pretty sure he had the skb and got a rath. He's just saying the raths wingnut is the reason it won't fit. Not that Michael Rath is a bad designer for not making a horn that can fit in a particular case
ttf_Pre59

Post by ttf_Pre59 »

Quote from: Matt K on Yesterday at 12:34 PMI'm pretty sure he had the skb and got a rath. He's just saying the raths wingnut is the reason it won't fit. Not that Michael Rath is a bad designer for not making a horn that can fit in a particular case

Yes, the wing nut could have been better designed to fit at a different angle and/or shape. I had already owned a SKB 360 case because I was flying to meet cruise ships and sharing cars etc. I didn't want to have to have a bulkier case to fit a smaller instrument because of a simple fixing.

A bigger issue though, is that it's ok to criticise a feature of a product if it doesn't suit you, and I did voice my opinion to Rath management at the time.

ttf_TimS

Post by ttf_TimS »

A little more than $200, but the smaller model BAM Softpack works great for my R1.
ttf_SKAzz

Post by ttf_SKAzz »

Thanks for the suggestions.  I've had the SKB case for at least a decade.  It housed my 2B all those years.  Now that I purchased a Rath (with a few trade ins) I found it odd about the wing nut. (or whatever the English to 'Merican translation for it is)

Has anyone used the cordura cronkhite gig bags?  Do those have bell support?

I'm looking at getting one of those.

Thanks.
ttf_Alex

Post by ttf_Alex »

Quote from: Pre59 on Oct 16, 2017, 02:10PMYes, the wing nut could have been better designed to fit at a different angle and/or shape.

A bigger issue though, is that it's ok to criticise a feature of a product if it doesn't suit you, and I did voice my opinion to Rath management at the time.

Pre59, my initial reply was meant in jest.
However, purely for no reason other than to split hairs, by your reasoning you could just as easily take issue with SKB and criticise their product that no longer suits you.
Has Rath been using their system longer than the SKB 360 has been in production ?
I own an Rath too, and after market cases are a nightmare. It seems easier to try a trombone before you buy than try a case, given the limited range most stockist hold.
It would seem to be to more in SKB's interest to make their case take a Rath, rather than the other way around.
Anyway, I was just messin'.

To the OP, Rath now offer cases and I believe they are on their website.

ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Quote from: SKAzz on Oct 17, 2017, 07:09AMThanks for the suggestions.  I've had the SKB case for at least a decade.  It housed my 2B all those years.  Now that I purchased a Rath (with a few trade ins) I found it odd about the wing nut. (or whatever the English to 'Merican translation for it is)

Has anyone used the cordura cronkhite gig bags?  Do those have bell support?

I'm looking at getting one of those.

Thanks.

Cronkhite are the only gig bags I'd consider for a botique. (Though I primarily use hard cases because I'm clumsy).  I have one for alto, although I don't own an alto anymore and a double for a bass + tenor. I'd avoid the "G" style cases (Where the slide compartment is stiched to the side). He stopped selling them because they were being sent in for warranty work a lot.  The "O" style bag, which has the slide in a small foam case inside the bag itself is fantastic though.  The flight case, where the slide compartment is on the outside, but attached with some kind of cloth straps is sturdier than the "G" style bag and can be separated for an easier time stowing away in an airplane overhead. (Or other similar tihgt fit.  The "flight" case is convenient because it does mean you can put the two parts away separately.
ttf_SKAzz

Post by ttf_SKAzz »

Great responses all.  The skb was a great case for little cash, for a horn I spent barely $700 on.  And I still think its great because it fits into every plane Ive ever been on. 

I'll have to check out the cronkhite.  One question, is there any support for the bell?  Like a piece of plastic or wood to provide any rigidity?   

Is there also any rigidity for the slide in these cases?  I have an old reunion blues bag that houses my 88H, but there's too much room in there for the new horn.  The thing I liked about those is the rigid component to the slide sleeve.  The thing I didnt like was that it feels very squishy around the bell.

Also, can the poster about the BAM case tell me more?  I've only seen pictures of those, not one up close.

Thanks.
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

There is a disc that you can put in the case that is around the same diamter as the interior of the case. It has foam and cloth but it appears to be made of something rigid but I don't know what. I wouldn't run over the bell with it but it should help the bell if you accidentally butt up against something. Your bell bead wouldn't get hit, it woudl be the disc.

I don't know if comparable cases in the Reunion blues lineup have them but every Cronkhite case I've had has had one of those.

The slide comparment is a big piece of foam. The double cases have a rigid piece of material going down the center but otherwise the slides are surrounded by foam and held in place by two velcro straps.  To be perfectly honest, I'd trust the huge piece of foam over something rigid since it keeps it very immobile. It almost floats.
ttf_Pre59

Post by ttf_Pre59 »

Quote from: Alex on Oct 17, 2017, 03:21PM
However, purely for no reason other than to split hairs, by your reasoning you could just as easily take issue with SKB and criticise their product that no longer suits you.
Has Rath been using their system longer than the SKB 360 has been in production ?

There are countless horns that will fit in an SKB 360 case, and trombone cases are a minuscule part of their business. For them to produce a new case for a specific brand may not be worth their while, but for Rath to make a small change to their design may be worth theirs.
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Eh, I mean my favorite cases (Eastman) don't really fit Shires or Edwards horns as far as I'm aware.  Case manufacturers make their money on their bread & butter... stock factory horns. Small cases need to fit YSL354, King 606 and maybe some of the pro horns... Bach 16 and King 2B/3B.  That's probably 75%+ of the market.

The Eastman have to fit Bach 42 and Conn 88.  Probably not so much Yamaha even because they come stock with great cases (which can explain why the Sullivan Xeno has such a difficult time with like, every 3rd party case).

Likewise, when you get to the botique level, you're really making something that is at least nominally 100% optimized for sound.  ("Quality without Compromise"!)  That may mean compromising what cases will fit.  Would it be ideal as consumers for that not to be the case? Maybe. But then someone would be needing to do everything well.  I think there are enough options out there that we can figure it out. Its a heck of a lot better than it was 50 years ago!

ttf_SKAzz

Post by ttf_SKAzz »

yes. this is what i was getting at.  My old reunion blues doesnt have any of that.  Its just foam.  So i'm always cautious about wearing it on my back. taking it on the subway.. .etc.

Quote from: Matt K on Oct 18, 2017, 07:10AMThere is a disc that you can put in the case that is around the same diamter as the interior of the case. It has foam and cloth but it appears to be made of something rigid but I don't know what. I wouldn't run over the bell with it but it should help the bell if you accidentally butt up against something. Your bell bead wouldn't get hit, it woudl be the disc.

I don't know if comparable cases in the Reunion blues lineup have them but every Cronkhite case I've had has had one of those.

The slide comparment is a big piece of foam. The double cases have a rigid piece of material going down the center but otherwise the slides are surrounded by foam and held in place by two velcro straps.  To be perfectly honest, I'd trust the huge piece of foam over something rigid since it keeps it very immobile. It almost floats.

ttf_Alex

Post by ttf_Alex »

Quote from: Pre59 on Oct 18, 2017, 08:35AMThere are countless horns that will fit in an SKB 360 case, and trombone cases are a minuscule part of their business. For them to produce a new case for a specific brand may not be worth their while, but for Rath to make a small change to their design may be worth theirs.

OK, now I am curious.
In your opinion, what would the benefit be to Rath of adjusting the position of the wing nut ?
The most likely outcome of such an adjustment would be that the instrument may well fit the SKB, but then may not fit a different manufacturers case. Either way there is no benefit (that I can think of) to Rath, financial or otherwise.

Have you asked Mick to reposition the wingnut on your instrument ?
ttf_Alex

Post by ttf_Alex »

Quote from: Pre59 on Oct 18, 2017, 08:35AMThere are countless horns that will fit in an SKB 360 case, and trombone cases are a minuscule part of their business. For them to produce a new case for a specific brand may not be worth their while, but for Rath to make a small change to their design may be worth theirs.

OK, now I am curious.
In your opinion, what would the benefit be to Rath of adjusting the position of the wing nut ?
The most likely outcome of such an adjustment would be that the instrument may well fit the SKB, but then may not fit a different manufacturers case. Either way there is no benefit (that I can think of) to Rath, financial or otherwise.

Have you asked Mick to reposition the wingnut on your instrument ?

Return to “Accessories”