Cronkhite (Torpedo) Bag thoughts.

ttf_SKAzz

Post by ttf_SKAzz »

ok boners...

after my SKB cracked at the hinge, its now out of commission while I get some ABS and plasti-weld to fix it.  So it became time to buy something to gig with.  I used the x-mas offer that was on the cronkhite website and bought a Single Small Tenor bag, in blue cordura. Yes, i miss having a solid component on the outside of the case.  But the old school reunion blues bag that my 88H has been in for years has protected it well, so I figured I"ll give this a try, and if I don't like it, I can sell it.

Things I like so far...
It looks great. 
It fits my Rath without having to remove the thumbscrew. 
The bell area has wood or something in it to protect it should I knock it.
The slide foam sleeve has a hard backing on one side to protect it, and a slip sleeve to keep it on the slide.
It's ridiculously heavy duty, for a bag of cloth and foam.
The dual (backpack style) straps are heavy duty.  They'll certainly outlive the bag foam, and the cockroach.

Things i'm not a fan of so far...
Dual backpack straps are not removable. so i loosened one to fit on my body, and tightened the other so it wouldn't catch on passersby (or would be thieves) on the subway. So it's a little awkward to wear like a normal gig bag as a sling across your body. I haven't found the adjustment yet to where it sits comfortably on my commute yet.

There's only stiff support at the flat of the bell, and one side of the slide.  I wish there was a set of wood or plastic laminar between the foam and cordura on the side opposite of the slide, to prevent any sort of knock in addition to the thick foam.  (laminar, is a series of thin curved flexible overlapping plates... think Roman Armor) 

I wish there was a small strip of fabric to keep the zipper from coming in contact with the horn. Currently I keep a golf towel in the bag to put over the neck pipe so it won't rub.

ok. that's my $0.02 for those considering buying one.  Once i've used it a few more weeks and taken it on a plane i'll report back. 

Cheers.

ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

I believe the designs are identical.to his most recent designs which means you can unclip one or both straps and store it under the zipper compartment (so the strap is still attached but just hidden)
ttf_SKAzz

Post by ttf_SKAzz »

interesting, i'll have to look after my gig tonight, but i think the straps are riveted in place on the small tenor bag.  So they're either clipped or not.  but always attached under the bottom of the bag.  (there's only one large zipper compartment on my bag.  its the small tenor bag.)
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

It's not intuitive in my opinion for sure. I didn't realize it until maybe the 5th Cronkhite case I owned where the pwerson I bought it from had stowed them away during shipment. I was a little disappointed it didn't have them, but I loved the horn it came with so I thanked the person I got it from and mentioned that if it was the only downside I was exceedingly happy.  At that point they mentioned all I had to do was unzip it and pull them out  Image  Granted, that was on a bass case so very possibly different.  Also for what it's worth, the alto case (at least used to be) like yours but with only one shoulder strap.  I totally love my alto case --- and it was the last alto case ever ordered from him to my knowledge at least according to Glenn. 

Point being that if they're still trying to get re-established as a brand after their aquisition they're probably looking to keep people very happy and embrace feedback at the moment.  I can guarnatee there are others that are in your situation, afterall, it was really designed for people who live in the city and commute the same way you do.  If you mentioned it to them they may well make the alterations basically in exchange for goodwill. 
ttf_mr.deacon

Post by ttf_mr.deacon »

Quote from: Matt K on Jan 25, 2018, 08:37AMI believe the designs are identical.to his most recent designs which means you can unclip one or both straps and store it under the zipper compartment (so the strap is still attached but just hidden)
Those are RB bags. Glenn's bags never had that feature, though I really wish they did!

Also the brand new foam they started using this winter. Holy sweet baby Jesus that stuff is amazing. Far better then what Glenn was using on his bags.

With the upgrade in foam I honestly think the torpedo bags are better then what Glenn was producing. Though this is just comparing nylon bags to nylon bags. I have not had a chance to see the leather used in the torpedo bags.
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

D'oh! Yes you're right it was an RB bag!

Didn't know about the foam.  Would like to look into it at a tradeshow maybe.  I doubt I'll find another newer used alto gig bag in any time soon  Image
ttf_mr.deacon

Post by ttf_mr.deacon »

Check out the foam! It's amazing. A tuba player friend just picked up a bag from torpedo and I'm blown away but how nice it is. The bags are just as good as my Glenn made bag and they now have the extra dense foam!
ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist

Post by ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist »

Does Torpedo offer the same color options Glen did? I’d just like them to match my red and black case Image
ttf_mr.deacon

Post by ttf_mr.deacon »

I think they offer even more! Their website has a ton if colors listed and I think they have some stuff not on their site too.
ttf_Le.Tromboniste

Post by ttf_Le.Tromboniste »

Quote from: SKAzz on Jan 25, 2018, 07:37AM

I wish there was a small strip of fabric to keep the zipper from coming in contact with the horn. Currently I keep a golf towel in the bag to put over the neck pipe so it won't rub.

Strange. I have the same model (but made by Glenn, and leather) and there is an overlap of the padding across the zipper.

Quote from: Full Pedal Trombonist on Jan 25, 2018, 08:37PMDoes Torpedo offer the same color options Glen did? I’d just like them to match my red and black case Image
Quote from: mr.deacon on Jan 25, 2018, 09:14PMI think they offer even more! Their website has a ton if colors listed and I think they have some stuff not on their site too.

I don't see two-tone options listed. Maybe they do it on request (they say they are cut and sewn after order so there's no reason they couldn't do it). I don't know if that would cost extra though. That was one of the nice things with Glen. Two-tone was offered by default at no extra cost, which was much cheaper than the new price list too. I still can't believe I got my leather gig bag from him for 412$, which was cheaper than an identical RB and not that much more expensive than other far inferior bags. The same bag is now 548$ (granted, that new foam is a nice upgrade)
ttf_mr.deacon

Post by ttf_mr.deacon »

When did you buy your bag new? The leather bass trombone bags were $400-500+ before he retired... From what I remember hornguys had them priced at...

I think I paid $320ish for a brand new nylon bag from Glenn about 3 years ago.

A nice thing about torpedo is if you follow them on Facebook they have sales quite frequently with 10-20%ish discounts off their bags.
ttf_Le.Tromboniste

Quote from: mr.deacon on Jan 25, 2018, 11:50PMWhen did you buy your bag new? The leather bass trombone bags were $400-500+ before he retired... From what I remember hornguys had them priced at...

I think I paid $320ish for a brand new nylon bag from Glenn about 3 years ago.

A nice thing about torpedo is if you follow them on Facebook they have sales quite frequently with 10-20%ish discounts off their bags.

Sorry that was a typo. I paid $412, in October of 2014.
ttf_Mark Beal

Post by ttf_Mark Beal »

Would love to see some pictures!
ttf_SKAzz

Post by ttf_SKAzz »

update.

no those straps are not removable.  in fact i asked the company, and they sent me very detailed instructions into what to tell a cobbler to do to make it a single sling bag instead of a backpack.  totally unexpected.  Nice folks at cronkhite.

and yes, user error.  flip the slide to the other side of the bell section.  all of a sudden the padding covers the zipper. 

ttf_Le.Tromboniste

Quote from: SKAzz on Jan 26, 2018, 12:01PMupdate.

no those straps are not removable.  in fact i asked the company, and they sent me very detailed instructions into what to tell a cobbler to do to make it a single sling bag instead of a backpack.  totally unexpected.  Nice folks at cronkhite.

and yes, user error.  flip the slide to the other side of the bell section.  all of a sudden the padding covers the zipper. 

Aah yes, slide has to be to the right when looking at the case with the bell end towards you.

Also true about the straps, but I prefer that - I always wear as a back pack and the permanent straps make it more comfortable than if they were detachable.
ttf_wayne88ny

Post by ttf_wayne88ny »

after my SKB cracked at the hinge, its now out of commission while I get some ABS and plasti-weld to fix it.  So it became time to buy something to gig with.  I used the x-mas offer that was on the cronkhite website and bought a Single Small Tenor bag, in blue cordura. Yes, i miss having a solid component on the outside of the case.  But the old school reunion blues bag that my 88H has been in for years has protected it well, so I figured I"ll give this a try, and if I don't like it, I can sell it.

SKB cases have a lifetime warranty.  They will replace a broken case.
ttf_wayne88ny

Post by ttf_wayne88ny »

SKB cases have a lifetime warranty.  They will replace a broken case.

Return to “Accessories”