Just Dented My First Slide

ttf_zarkosis

Post by ttf_zarkosis »

5 Years Playing, I've dropped my slide a numerous amount of times- but today I dropped it on my mute bag with my straight mute sticking out. Huge dent on the slide.  Image
Hey, at least its only one dent!  Image

I've never had to deal with such disappointment! But now I can't play anything but jazz until tomorrow afternoon.

Should I keep the outer slide on the inner slide while I wait for the music store to open? Or will that damage the slide?

Does anyone remember stories of denting their slides? (Any interesting ones anyway?)
ttf_HouBassTrombone

Post by ttf_HouBassTrombone »

Keep everything put together until you bring it in.
ttf_Piano man

Post by ttf_Piano man »

Quote from: zarkosis on Jun 15, 2017, 05:48PMDoes anyone remember stories of denting their slides? (Any interesting ones anyway?)

Here's a nasty one from over 40 years ago. Carrying my relatively new 3BSS. Bumped into a Manhasset stand on the bandroom riser and reflexively tried to stop it by stepping on one of the feet. It snapped up and the desk dented my slide all the way through to the inners.
ttf_zarkosis

Post by ttf_zarkosis »

Yikes! That sounds terrible! Glad I've never had to deal with that!  Image
ttf_Roscotrombone

Post by ttf_Roscotrombone »

When I was at school I was cleaning my trombone - 88H. I had just finished the slide and was standing at the bathroom door which is at the top of the stairs....I turned the slide upside having forgotten to put the slide lock on and the inner went shooting straight down the stairs like a bat out of hell!

Miraculously there was no major damage... just needed a little realignment!

Ross
ttf_timothy42b

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

Quote from: HouBassTrombone on Jun 15, 2017, 06:43PMKeep everything put together until you bring it in.

Depends.

It sounds like his outer slide fell off and landed on a mute, without denting the inner.  I'd be real careful reassembling.  But if you've already done it, don't touch it any further.
ttf_Euphanasia

Post by ttf_Euphanasia »

Quote from: Piano man on Jun 15, 2017, 06:47PMHere's a nasty one from over 40 years ago. Carrying my relatively new 3BSS. Bumped into a Manhasset stand on the bandroom riser and reflexively tried to stop it by stepping on one of the feet. It snapped up and the desk dented my slide all the way through to the inners.

You know there's a guy at the Manhasset factory whose job is sharpening the edges of the desks, right?
ttf_zarkosis

Post by ttf_zarkosis »

Quote from: timothy42b on Jun 16, 2017, 08:10AMDepends.

It sounds like his outer slide fell off and landed on a mute, without denting the inner.  I'd be real careful reassembling.  But if you've already done it, don't touch it any further.

Yeah I put it back on after I realized I didn't want my inner and outer slide laying on my rug separately and more prone to damage. It made a slight scratching sound when going over the stocking, but it wasn't deep enough of a dent to mess with any of it. It went over the stocking with ought much trouble though, better than a lot of my colleagues slides normally!  Image

I'm taking it in in a few minutes, it looks to me like something fixable in one to two minutes as it is right past the over sleeves (not sure though haha)! Now I can also finally fix my g&w mouthpiece as well (guy I bought it from shipped it to me with ought packaging and it ended up with a dented shank, but it mostly fixed itself though insertion)... Glad I have a reason to go to the repair shop!
ttf_zarkosis

Post by ttf_zarkosis »

Thanks for the help guys! These stories are always fun, too!  Image
ttf_zarkosis

Post by ttf_zarkosis »

All fixed up! Horn slots much better with a non dented mouthpiece! Haha! There is still a bit of a scar from the dent, but it slides like a dream!
ttf_timothy42b

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

There is probably nobody here who hasn't bashed a slide at some point.

Glad it worked out so well! 

Actually it doesn't hurt to let  a tech have a look at it from time to time, sometimes they notice something else that can be improved, like missing slide felts or a worn spit cork. 
ttf_wgwbassbone

Post by ttf_wgwbassbone »

Welcome to the party!!
ttf_Orffbone

Post by ttf_Orffbone »

Quote from: wgwbassbone on Jun 17, 2017, 08:16AMWelcome to the party!!

Thank you, wgw!    Image
ttf_Alex

Post by ttf_Alex »

Quote from: zarkosis on Jun 15, 2017, 05:48PM5 Years Playing, I've dropped my slide a numerous amount of times

I would try to chvange this statistic.
If you can't then you will become very friendly with your repair tech.

Alex (playing 38 years and dropped my side once)
ttf_zarkosis

Post by ttf_zarkosis »

Well I haven't dropped it in the past three years, until now! The other times were with my horn with an iffy slide lock that kept coming undone with ought my knowledge.  Image
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Not that I want to try and top it, customer brought in today for repair their trombone which they drove over the top of with their 4wd by mistake.

Wish it was just a dented slide.

Good to see yours was fixed to your satisfaction.

Steve
ttf_bubbachet

Post by ttf_bubbachet »

Quote from: Euphanasia on Jun 16, 2017, 09:06AMYou know there's a guy at the Manhasset factory whose job is sharpening the edges of the desks, right?

This might be the best post I've ever seen on the forum. Thank you for the laugh!
ttf_FlamingRain

Post by ttf_FlamingRain »

HS marching band, two days before a festival, my marching horn took a flag straight to the slide... Slide was unable to move and had to play my next two days (got it back the day of the festival) with my Bach 42...
ttf_tbathras

Post by ttf_tbathras »

Quote from: FlamingRain on Today at 12:26 PMHS marching band, two days before a festival, my marching horn took a flag straight to the slide... Slide was unable to move and had to play my next two days (got it back the day of the festival) with my Bach 42...

Same deal here... I was stupid in HS... marched my Conn 100HSP... those flags are like slide magnets.  It was a horrific scene, but it was repaired with little to no evidence.

(Don't worry, it was a crappy late 90's Conn, not a real Minick)
ttf_tbathras

Post by ttf_tbathras »

Quote from: FlamingRain on Today at 12:26 PMHS marching band, two days before a festival, my marching horn took a flag straight to the slide... Slide was unable to move and had to play my next two days (got it back the day of the festival) with my Bach 42...

Same deal here... I was stupid in HS... marched my Conn 100HSP... those flags are like slide magnets.  It was a horrific scene, but it was repaired with little to no evidence.

(Don't worry, it was a crappy late 90's Conn, not a real Minick)

Return to “Repairs, Modifications, and Maintenance”