Lemon Pledge

ttf_Geordie

Lemon Pledge

Post by ttf_Geordie »

Having read on the forum about the benefits of Lemon Pledge for slides I tried it and found the spray to be really helpful.  Recently moved back to UK to discover that it is no longer sold here  Image.  Import costs are prohibitive.  So, can anyone suggest an alternative product with similar benefits?
ttf_Steven

Lemon Pledge

Post by ttf_Steven »

Try searching on "food grade silicone spray". 
ttf_Euphanasia

Lemon Pledge

Post by ttf_Euphanasia »

From their website:

4. FIRST AID MEASURES
Eye contact : No special requirements
Skin contact : IF exposed or concerned: Get medical advice/ attention.
Inhalation : No special requirements.
Ingestion : IF exposed or concerned: Get medical advice/ attention.

7. HANDLING AND STORAGE
Handling
Precautions for safe
handling
: Avoid contact with skin, eyes and clothing.
For personal protection see section 8.
Use only as directed.
KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN AND PETS.
Do not handle until all safety precautions have been read and
understood.

I don't know about you, but I'd prefer to not put something on my slide that wasn't meant to be put on a slide unless it's Trombotine, which was meant to be put on skin. There are so many toxic propellants in aerosol pledge that I can't imagine it would be anything but harmful to your health. And despite that "no special requirements" for inhalation, I wouldn't want that stuff in my lungs.
ttf_Stewbones43

Lemon Pledge

Post by ttf_Stewbones43 »

Quote from: Euphanasia on Sep 22, 2017, 08:28AMFrom their website:

7. HANDLING AND STORAGE
Handling
Precautions for safe
handling
: Avoid contact with skin, eyes and clothing.
For personal protection see section 8.
Use only as directed.
KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN AND PETS.
Do not handle until all safety precautions have been read and
understood.

Are these precautions for the silicone spray or the trombone Image

Cheers

Stewbones
ttf_LowrBrass

Lemon Pledge

Post by ttf_LowrBrass »

Quote from: Stewbones43 on Sep 22, 2017, 02:49PMAre these precautions for the silicone spray or the trombone Image

Cheers

Stewbones

rotfl! Image
ttf_Euphanasia

Lemon Pledge

Post by ttf_Euphanasia »

Quote from: Stewbones43 on Sep 22, 2017, 02:49PMAre these precautions for the silicone spray or the trombone Image

Cheers

Stewbones

I've had neighbors threaten to violate the "not to be taken internally" warning on my trombone.  Image
ttf_jmtheob

Lemon Pledge

Post by ttf_jmtheob »

I use a combo of trombotine and food grade silicon.  Works great, but don't get any of the spray silicon on the floor or you will slip and break your neck.
ttf_sterb225

Lemon Pledge

Post by ttf_sterb225 »

The Pledge you should use is the old non-aerosol version - not made anymore.  The propellant cans have so much garbage in them that I don't know anyone the advocates the use.  I missed the Pledge liquid until I discovered the Reka slide lube.  A little pricey, but not nearly as prone to build up and lasts a day or more without any need to spray with water etc ...
ttf_bonearzt

Lemon Pledge

Post by ttf_bonearzt »

Seriously!!!

We have some of the best slide lubes available now!!
WHY mess with anything else that might or might not work just to save a buck or two??

Be it Reka,  Slide-O-Mix, Trombotine, whatever!!!!
No one can tell me that there isn't a commercially available lube that doesn't work on his or her slide.

Lemon Pledge is good to clean the outside of the bell...

Sorry for the late night rant!

Eric

ttf_Posaunus

Lemon Pledge

Post by ttf_Posaunus »

Quote from: bonearzt on Sep 22, 2017, 08:38PMSeriously!!!

We have some of the best slide lubes available now!!  {Designed, formulated, and sold for the specific purpose of lubricating trombone slides!}

WHY mess with anything else that might or might not work just to save a buck or two??

ttf_Blowero

Lemon Pledge

Post by ttf_Blowero »

ttf_JBledsoe

Lemon Pledge

Post by ttf_JBledsoe »

If you're looking for something that has a similar effect on slide action to that of the Pledge, you could use Hydroslide from Hetman. I used Hydroslide for a time and found that it worked quite well.
ttf_Geordie

Lemon Pledge

Post by ttf_Geordie »

Thanks everyone. I'd found the regular use of usual lubricants and the occasional use of Pledge to be a great combination, with no ill effects. Food grade silicon spray and hydroglide  are new to me. Will check them out.
ttf_Matt K

Lemon Pledge

Post by ttf_Matt K »

If you want silicone, you should try the Yamaha stuff. You're only out 8 smackers if you don't like it.  I will use it on top of Trombotine but I've used it alone and its great. It doesn't last as longa s trombotine but its much smoother on the Shires slides I use it on.
ttf_afugate

Lemon Pledge

Post by ttf_afugate »

Quote from: bonearzt on Sep 22, 2017, 08:38PM
Lemon Pledge is good to clean the outside of the bell...

I've actually found that dollar store aerosol wax is pretty good for this purpose when cleaning up school horns.

--Andy in OKC
ttf_Geezerhorn

Lemon Pledge

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

I have been in the habit of wiping my horn(s) down after each use with it. How can it hurt to remove the oil and corrosive compounds left from the hands?

...Geezer
ttf_BGuttman

Lemon Pledge

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Big problem with all aerosols and particularly waxes like Pledge is overspray.  This is the aerosol that goes into the air and does not land on the target.  Some gets inhaled (particulate danger) and much of it winds up on the floor.  It makes the floor VERY slippery.  Pump sprays have a lot less overspray, which is why I advocate them.
ttf_Geezerhorn

Lemon Pledge

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Quote from: BGuttman on Sep 23, 2017, 06:57AMBig problem with all aerosols and particularly waxes like Pledge is overspray.  This is the aerosol that goes into the air and does not land on the target.  Some gets inhaled (particulate danger) and much of it winds up on the floor.  It makes the floor VERY slippery.  Pump sprays have a lot less overspray, which is why I advocate them.

When applied directly to a cloth, held at point blank range?

...Geezer
ttf_BGuttman

Lemon Pledge

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: Geezerhorn on Sep 23, 2017, 07:02AMWhen applied directly to a cloth, held at point blank range?

...Geezer

That is a partial solution to the overspray problem.
ttf_bonesmarsh

Lemon Pledge

Post by ttf_bonesmarsh »

Just apply liquid automobile paint polish. Six or seven coats of microthin Mother's carunuba wax sealed my vintage worn out slides.

It did nothing to improve the slide action, as the metal was worn, but it did allow the lube like trombotine, to do it's job a lot better. Lube lasted longer, scratchy sound was almost eliminated.
The only improvement to further improve those slides done in quality auto polish was a realignment or dent removal.

Pledge is the easiest way, but car polish with quality WAX does a better more long lasting job, I've tried both.
ttf_kbiggs

Lemon Pledge

Post by ttf_kbiggs »

I find it fascinating--it's part of the human condition, I know--how (a) despite warnings from professionals, (b) legitimate health reasons to avoid using something, and (c) the presence of products specifically designed for the purpose, people continue to use products like Pledge. It's like an old wives' tales, or a modern "hack." It reminds me of peope who use pennies to replace an old household fuse. It works, but it has its dangers. Do the advantages--marginally improved slide action--truly outweigh the health risks? Is the slide action truly better with Pledge than with any other product?
ttf_Posaunus

Lemon Pledge

Post by ttf_Posaunus »

This reminds me of another (rural) "legendary" substitute - using Skin So Soft as an insect repellent.  Very popular folklore when we lived in mosquito-infested New England a few decades ago. 

(Hint: It doesn't work!) 
https://www.consumerreports.org/insect-repellents/avon-skin-so-soft-review-bug-spray/
ttf_Geezerhorn

Lemon Pledge

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Oh, c'mon now guys. Everything we make either stinks or makes noise. And all products will ultimately lead to our demise. But perhaps there are bigger issues in our lives than a little Lemon Pledge usage?

...Geezer
ttf_kbiggs

Lemon Pledge

Post by ttf_kbiggs »

Quote from: Geezerhorn on Sep 23, 2017, 02:20PMOh, c'mon now guys. Everything we make either stinks or makes noise.

I try to make music when I play the trombone. And in my day job, I help people overcome problems.

Quote from: Geezerhorn on Sep 23, 2017, 02:20PMAnd all products will ultimately lead to our demise.

Not necessarily. Even if it were true, why deliberately choose something that may hasten that demise, or directly lead to a decreased quality of life? I want to enjoy my life and play trombone, and not have to choose between a product that might be bad for me just so I can play music. 

Quote from: Geezerhorn on Sep 23, 2017, 02:20PMBut perhaps there are bigger issues in our lives than a little Lemon Pledge usage?

Of course there are. Live well, eat well, do well, be nice, share, take no more than your fair share, do no harm... to yourself or others...
ttf_Geezerhorn

Lemon Pledge

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Quote from: kbiggs on Sep 23, 2017, 06:11PMI try to make music when I play the trombone. And in my day job, I help people overcome problems.

Not necessarily. Even if it were true, why deliberately choose something that may hasten that demise, or directly lead to a decreased quality of life? I want to enjoy my life and play trombone, and not have to choose between a product that might be bad for me just so I can play music. 

Of course there are. Live well, eat well, do well, be nice, share, take no more than your fair share, do no harm... to yourself or others...

Okay. I have a list of things I try to avoid as well. I believe some have a large list while others blissfully enjoy having no list at all. I sometimes envy the former who can keep that balance while I secretly admire the latter. lol

At my age, my list is shrinking. I am almost to the place where I wouldn't hesitate to do some select HAZMAT work with very little, if any protection - like asbestos removal. By the time I get cancer, I will probably be dead anyway. I believe the elderly Japanese who went in to clean up Fukushima felt the same way.  Image

Consequently, "life-time warranties" don't mean nearly as much to me as they used to.  Image

If Lemon Pledge is on your list or you think it should be on others' lists, I'm fine with that - as long as I can still buy it if I want to for MY use.  Image

...Geezer
ttf_Geordie

Lemon Pledge

Post by ttf_Geordie »

FWIW Lemon Pledge worked fine for me. I perceived an improvement when I used it. While accepting there may be potentially harmful ingredients in it I've heard nothing convincing that demonstrates that occasional use, in quantities FAR smaller than would be used in polishing household items, is harmful. If we always avoided all risks we would do nothing.  Mitigation through moderation is what I prefer in this situation.  Obviously there are some large risks with small benefits and most reasonable people would not take them. The odd dab of lemon pledge is not one of those. 
ttf_Geordie

Lemon Pledge

Post by ttf_Geordie »

FWIW Lemon Pledge worked fine for me. I perceived an improvement when I used it. While accepting there may be potentially harmful ingredients in it I've heard nothing convincing that demonstrates that occasional use, in quantities FAR smaller than would be used in polishing household items, is harmful. If we always avoided all risks we would do nothing.  Mitigation through moderation is what I prefer in this situation.  Obviously there are some large risks with small benefits and most reasonable people would not take them. The odd dab of lemon pledge is not one of those. 

Return to “Repairs, Modifications, and Maintenance”