What do you do to clean the laquer / outside of your trombone?

ttf_harrison.t.reed

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

I am great at keeping the inside of my horn clean, my slide fast, and my rotor working like new. But I don't think I've ever done anything to my laquer! My silver trombone I don't worry about - tarnish doesn't bother me!

Usually laquer for me just accumulates water spots on the bell that I try to wipe off with a soft cloth and this just scratches the finish. That, and the usual flaking of the laquer on the neckpipe. I don't want this to happen to my nice T-396A!

What do you do to keep the laquer shiny and new?
ttf_Graham Martin

Post by ttf_Graham Martin »

SLIDE-O-MIX Big Splendour Laquer Polish & Protection.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Slide-Mix-Splendour-Lacquer-Protection/dp/B002SZ170M

However, I find that my locally relacquered trombones do not need anything, which was not the case with the original manufacturers finish (Conn, King and Bach). Simply wash with detergent in luke warm water, rinse well and dry with a very soft towel keeps the present laquer in prime condition - certainly no flaking or anything like that. I experience just a slight loss of lacquer on the piping that touches your neck - I guess from perspiration - and where I prefer not to add a guard because it affects your tone.

ttf_hyperbolica

Post by ttf_hyperbolica »

I think it was John Coffey who used to take his mouthpiece and put a dent in his students new horns. "Now you can stop worrying about how it looks and just play it."

I don't do anything for the outside except wipe it down from time to time in the shower with dish soap.
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Quote from: hyperbolica on Dec 19, 2017, 09:10PMI think it was John Coffey who used to take his mouthpiece and put a dent in his students new horns. "Now you can stop worrying about how it looks and just play it."

I don't do anything for the outside except wipe it down from time to time in the shower with dish soap.

Point taken, but if John Candy or Jimmy Dean did that to my horn, he wouldn't have a horn left after I was done going to work on his - not with my mouthpiece, but with the blunt end of his own trombone case.

I'm asking the question not as an 18 year old beginner in college who doesn't practice, but as a 30 year old who wants to protect a $5500 investment and source of my livelihood. My 88H had the neck pipe nearly worn through because, for 10 years, I didn't care to take care of it. I want to not have that happen again! I want to be good!

So, dish soap and a soft cloth is all I need? Should I worry about corrosion from water getting in the bead on the bell?
ttf_boneagain

Post by ttf_boneagain »

Quote from: hyperbolica on Dec 19, 2017, 09:10PMI think it was John Coffey who used to take his mouthpiece and put a dent in his students new horns. "Now you can stop worrying about how it looks and just play it."

His second phrase was slightly different but, yeah, that's pretty much what he said Image
ttf_afugate

Post by ttf_afugate »

I use this stuff on my personal horns. http://www.beeswaxpolish.com/ 
Note: It's available here locally for a lot less than I'm seeing advertised online. Image

Cheap dollar store furniture wax on the student horns owned by the kids I help with general repairs.

--Andy in OKC

ttf_bonearzt

Post by ttf_bonearzt »

All I use and recommend is lemon furniture polish and a soft cloth like an old t-shirt or a well washed terrycloth towel.

Eric

ttf_John the Theologian

Post by ttf_John the Theologian »

Jubilee kitchen wax.  Takes of dirt and water spots and leaves a protective wax shine.  I also put it over raw brass after cleaning with brass polish and it protects the raw brass from tarnishing much longer than leaving it unprotected.

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=jubilee+kitchen+wax&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=182127418958&hvpos=1t1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5893748132881392532&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9018505&hvtargid=kwd-2256640962&ref=pd_sl_9hsamg0zud_e_p20
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Do the wax products not leave residue on the bell? Seems like it would build up?
ttf_John the Theologian

Post by ttf_John the Theologian »

Quote from: harrison.t.reed on Dec 20, 2017, 06:42AMDo the wax products not leave residue on the bell? Seems like it would build up?

Never had any problem with it.
ttf_BillO

Post by ttf_BillO »

Dare to compare?

Jubilee in Canada vs. Jubilee in the US

what the heck!  Image  Image
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: BillO on Dec 20, 2017, 08:17AMDare to compare?

Jubilee in Canada vs. Jubilee in the US

what the heck!  Image  Image

Are we talking Imperial gallons vs. US Gallons?  How much of the stuff are you getting?  Those prices look like they are per case.
ttf_BillO

Post by ttf_BillO »

Quote from: BGuttman on Dec 20, 2017, 09:17AMAre we talking Imperial gallons vs. US Gallons?  How much of the stuff are you getting?  Those prices look like they are per case.
Yes, 12x15 fl.oz.  Your fl.oz. is the same as ours - things start changing at the pint level.

Similar price difference appear at the one bottle level too.

It's sad.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

There must be a heck of an import tariff for that stuff.  Even with NAFTA. Image
ttf_Stretch Longarm

Post by ttf_Stretch Longarm »

I think I've wiped my horns down with a cloth maybe three dozen times in 40 years, and they still look pretty good...but then King lacquer is what they should have painted battleships with, for protection.  Image

I remeber as a youngster, being horrified by how awful one older, experienced player's horn looked - but it was that way because he put so much face time into it, instead of fretting about the looks.

But I understand your wanting to protect a large investment. Just remember that the more you wipe it over time, regardless of what you use, you're scratching/wearing the surface, so tread lightly.
ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist

Post by ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist »

On the only lacquered trombone I play often I just use an old t shirt or cloth. After I play I wipe the neckpipe and where I hold it with a chamois I have in my case.

My unlacquered horns get a dusting every time I play them. I like to make sure there are no water spots or anything.
ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist

Post by ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist »

On the only lacquered trombone I play often I just use an old t shirt or cloth. After I play I wipe the neckpipe and where I hold it with a chamois I have in my case.

My unlacquered horns get a dusting every time I play them. I like to make sure there are no water spots or anything.

Return to “Repairs, Modifications, and Maintenance”