Mouthpiece wobble

ttf_bigbandaxes

Mouthpiece wobble

Post by ttf_bigbandaxes »

I repaired band instruments for 40 years and never ran into this problem! Now that I'm retired and only working on my own horns I have to solve it!
I just bought a NOS Jet Tone Buddy Morrow model 1 mouthpiece. I like a lot, bit it wobbles in my 20H. My other mouthpieces do not. What's the best way to get rid of the wobble?
Thanks in advance for any and all advice!
ttf_vegasbound

Mouthpiece wobble

Post by ttf_vegasbound »

Buy a conn 3 mouthpiece  Image
ttf_BGuttman

Mouthpiece wobble

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

i keep a roll of Teflon (R) tape.  A couple of wraps should fix it.
ttf_Doug Elliott

Mouthpiece wobble

Post by ttf_Doug Elliott »

Something about the taper doesn't match the receiver.  Maybe the shank was repaired and flared out.
ttf_john sandhagen

Mouthpiece wobble

Post by ttf_john sandhagen »

Coat the shank of the mpc with dykem and remove the high spots until it fits.
ttf_svenlarsson

Mouthpiece wobble

Post by ttf_svenlarsson »

The Jet Tone Buddy Morrow is a nice mpc, but it does not fit in any horn. Did Budd Morrow have a special leadpipe? I did have the same problem, I just gave up. I think I gave it away.
ttf_BGuttman

Mouthpiece wobble

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Wonder if it was set up for the smallish Olds receiver?
ttf_bigbandaxes

Mouthpiece wobble

I finally got my courage up, chucked it up in my lathe with a live center, and went to work. It was too large at the very tip of the shank. I slowly took it down with 500 grit paper, followed by 1200 grit, and 2000 grit till it didn't wobble anymore. Then a light polish. Not sure if I will re-plate it yet. That might just make the problem re-occur!

It was interesting to find out others have had the same problem.

No problem now. And I'm really liking the way it plays!
ttf_BGuttman

Mouthpiece wobble

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

If the end of the shank plates up too much, that's a problem of improper anode placement.  If you were down to brass, somebody forced something into the end of the mouthpiece (maybe bad chucking).

I wouldn't bother replating the end of the shank.  Doug Elliott doesn't plate his shanks and they work fine.  The place you really need the plating is on the rim and cup.
ttf_anonymous

Mouthpiece wobble

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hello everyone
Mike from instrumentinnovations . If it was damaged do to someone trying to repair it . All could have been avoided if the person who fixed it would have used one of my mouthpiece repair sleeves . They are designed to match the taper on the O.D. Exactly so when you insert the repair tool you cannot flair the end of the mouthpiece . Any one can use them they are quite fool proof. You simply tap the sleeve onto the damaged mouthpiece  then insert the repair tool. Do not hammer the end of the tool into the mouthpiece as it will lock the tool together and will make it difficult to remove the stuck tool. What you need to do is strike the tool on the side opposite of the dent . Towards the dent and the dent is repaired the mouthpiece stays or is returned to round. A sleeve for tenor or bass trombone sells on my website for twelve dollars each. We have a year end special for the whole repair system for sixty bucks that includes the repair tool Delrin dent hammer and nine sleeves . French horn ,flugelhorn ,euphonium ( doubles as a trumpet sound sleeve),cornet, trumpet, tenor trombone ,bass trombone,small bore tuba, large bore tuba..
Thank you all for your support and Merry Chistmas
Mike O
ttf_Pre59

Mouthpiece wobble

Post by ttf_Pre59 »

Quote from: svenlarsson on Dec 22, 2017, 07:55AMThe Jet Tone Buddy Morrow is a nice mpc, but it does not fit in any horn. Did Budd Morrow have a special leadpipe? I did have the same problem, I just gave up. I think I gave it away.

My '80's Buddy Morrow had a perfect fit on my Bach 12.
ttf_vegasbound

Mouthpiece wobble

Post by ttf_vegasbound »

And my 70's one fits my 2B plus fine too

ttf_bigbandaxes

Mouthpiece wobble

Quote from: BGuttman on Dec 23, 2017, 12:36PMIf the end of the shank plates up too much, that's a problem of improper anode placement.  If you were down to brass, somebody forced something into the end of the mouthpiece (maybe bad chucking).

I wouldn't bother replating the end of the shank.  Doug Elliott doesn't plate his shanks and they work fine.  The place you really need the plating is on the rim and cup.

I think you are right. Probably a plating problem. I'm surprised they didn't have better quality control! But now it's fine and this mouthpiece is a keeper!
ttf_bigbandaxes

Mouthpiece wobble

Quote from: BGuttman on Dec 23, 2017, 12:36PMIf the end of the shank plates up too much, that's a problem of improper anode placement.  If you were down to brass, somebody forced something into the end of the mouthpiece (maybe bad chucking).

I think you are right. Probably a plating problem. I'm surprised they didn't have better quality control! But now it's fine and this mouthpiece is a keeper!

Return to “Repairs, Modifications, and Maintenance”