Valentino Directors Fix Kits for Brass

ttf_Zandit75

Post by ttf_Zandit75 »

Just wondering if anyone has experience with the Valentino Directors Fix Kit for Brass instruments?
I think it would be a good addition to our band, just wondering about the quality of the tools and accessories.

http://www.hickeys.com/music/brass/trombone/accessories/other_bass_trombone_accessories/products/sku084477-valentinodirectors-fix-kit-brass.php
ttf_Zandit75

Post by ttf_Zandit75 »

No one has ever dealt with these kits??!
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Never seen that brand.  Kits like that are common and usually a good idea for a band to keep in the cupboards.
ttf_JohnL

Post by ttf_JohnL »

The concept is good, but it all comes down to the quality of the tools and parts. Valentino is part of JL Smith and Company (http://www.jlsmithco.com/). They seem to be more focused on woodwinds (particularly flutes), so you might want to query some woodwind people as to the quality of their products.
ttf_Zandit75

Post by ttf_Zandit75 »

Found a distributor here in Australia finally. Not a cheap kit, and according to the tech guy I was talking to, they are top of the line tools and spare parts. 99% of the Valentino tools are made in house.
The store I spoke to use the tools in their own workshop.
I was quoted $1,050 AUD for the kit including delivery.
Sure, it's expensive, but for minor repairs, it could end up paying for itself.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Even better, when you are out on a contest or the like and somebody needs a new water key cork or valve spring.  Ten minutes and it's playable again.
ttf_Driswood

Post by ttf_Driswood »

I used to buy their woodwind pads and corks, mainly for emergencies. Like Bruce said, it’s saved a couple performances when I was teaching.

Not sure if I would invest in an entire kit. Of course, after many years of teaching, I had accumulated quite an inventory of tools and parts.

Jerry Walker
ttf_timothy42b

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

I have no experience with a brass repair kit.

But when I became a handbell director, I bought a spare parts kit for our bells. 

You would not believe the number of times a bell breaks ten minutes before a performance - or the week before and the ringer tells you ten minutes before a performance.  Having spare springs, washers, pins, and all the other little pieces you need or will drop and lose as soon as you disassemble:  priceless. 
ttf_timothy42b

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

I have no experience with a brass repair kit.

But when I became a handbell director, I bought a spare parts kit for our bells. 

You would not believe the number of times a bell breaks ten minutes before a performance - or the week before and the ringer tells you ten minutes before a performance.  Having spare springs, washers, pins, and all the other little pieces you need or will drop and lose as soon as you disassemble:  priceless. 

Return to “Repairs, Modifications, and Maintenance”