Yamaha 356R slide fix

ttf_Mark Beal

Yamaha 356R slide fix

Post by ttf_Mark Beal »

I recently acquired a Yamaha 356R which is in mostly good condition except for the inner slide tubes, which have the worst wear I've ever seen (like, big chunks of chrome missing). I'm guessing replacing the tubes would be prohibitively expensive, although I really don't know what the cost would be. I'm leaning towards finding a replacement slide. Does anyone know if a 354 slide would work? Lots of those to be had.

Other suggestions?
ttf_BGuttman

Yamaha 356R slide fix

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Moving this to repairs and modifications.
ttf_griffinben

Yamaha 356R slide fix

Post by ttf_griffinben »

A 354 will only work on the upper tube.  The 356 is a dualbore, .500 - .525 instrument.  In either case, slide tubes are probably the same cost.  Rather than installing used tubes (and inheriting whatever problems come with it), check on a new set of tubes. 
ttf_Matt K

Yamaha 356R slide fix

Post by ttf_Matt K »

I believe the 446 slide might fit as well. Its a straight 525 slide. Quite a bit rarer than the 354 but at least gives you the potential for another option. 

You could potentially do a 354 upper inner (maybe outer too if the specs are too different, won't add too much, the outer slide isn't very expensive compared to the inner).  And then replace the lower with one from another. But then again, you're making a frankenhorn to fix up a student model horn that, whiel it does play very well, you may also for less time and similar money just get another horn for the amount you'd spend doing that.  I've seen 3BFs, 3BF+s for under $400 if you're patient with half decent slides for example.  Ditto for Yamaha 446s.
ttf_pedrombon

Yamaha 356R slide fix

Post by ttf_pedrombon »

Mike from M&K Drawing can help you  Image
ttf_Mark Beal

Yamaha 356R slide fix

Post by ttf_Mark Beal »

Well, I found a 3530R for a reasonable price so I'll take the slide off that and try to sell the bell section.
ttf_Mark Beal

Yamaha 356R slide fix

Post by ttf_Mark Beal »

Well, I found a 3530R for a reasonable price so I'll take the slide off that and try to sell the bell section.

Return to “Repairs, Modifications, and Maintenance”