3BF conversion

ttf_klimchak

3BF conversion

Post by ttf_klimchak »

I am looking for someone (a tech) that might have a 3B neckpipe in stock for a conversion of a 3BF into a straight 3B.  I have had issues with my local tech taking forever to get parts for me, and was hoping there was someone who had the part or easy access to the part so that I can get this done in a timely manner.  It will also need some slide work, but debating other options for that right now.

ttf_Blowero

3BF conversion

Post by ttf_Blowero »

You do realize the bell brace/ receiver assembly will need to be replaced or modified,  right?
ttf_klimchak

3BF conversion

Post by ttf_klimchak »

No, I did not.  I thought they used the same bell receiver since the brace is in the same place due to over-brace trigger placement.  The inside of my thumb rests on the bell brace to operate the trigger.  I have had this done previously and do not think there were any issues.  I know for most instruments this is not the case since the bell brace is placed further back to accommodate the trigger.
ttf_Matt K

3BF conversion

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Lengths are still different for the receivers. I did the reverse of this to a project and had to order a new slide receiver or else the tube wouldn't have made it all the way to the receiver.  Its possible it isn't like that on all King 3BFs, but the ones I've had, the rotor was placed lower than the start of the straight tube.  Image
ttf_BGuttman

3BF conversion

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

For what it's going to cost I'd bet just buying a straight 3B bell will be more cost effective.  You can sell off the F-attachment one if you like.
ttf_RichEKelly

3BF conversion

Post by ttf_RichEKelly »

I had this done on a 50's 3b. Pretty sure all that was added was a new neck pipe. Make sure to get all of the parts back in case you ever want to switch back or sell.
ttf_harrison.t.reed

3BF conversion

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

I don't get it. The F attach isn't really a hinderance is it?
ttf_klimchak

3BF conversion

Post by ttf_klimchak »

There is a huge crack in the rotor knuckle.  I bought it as a project.  I already have a 3BF in decent shape.
ttf_harrison.t.reed

3BF conversion

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

Ah, got it. I'll be quiet now...  Image
ttf_Michael Medrick

3BF conversion

Post by ttf_Michael Medrick »

Chris,
I have been thru a similar process with have Eric Edwards make 36b bells convertible. The front braces are in different places for 36 straight and F attachment bell sections. Eric has a couple of cases(F attachment and G attachments) rotated the valve section out of theway and installed a back brace. I am it that sensitive a player about bells and solders and such, but I would say that reducing the number of contact pooints has a better feel or resonance than a section soldered to the bell. This has been my experience with convertible setups for both 36 and 50 models. Obviously I think Eric does great work. I am lucky to be ihere in the Dallas area with him. He is very easy to work with and does not have a chip on his shoulder or any inclination to offer up “No one does that” opinions.
ttf_Blowero

3BF conversion

Post by ttf_Blowero »

I have done these conversions. If memory serves, I believe the 3BF has a longer receiver. I had to cut the receiver and ream out a step inside to accept the neckpipe. That's if you want it to be the same as an actual 3B. I suppose you could use the 3BF receiver as is and cut the neckpipe down, but I don't think that's as good a solution.
ttf_Blowero

3BF conversion

Post by ttf_Blowero »

It might not be your tech's fault that it takes a long time to get parts. If they are out of stock, Conn-Selmer can take a long time to deliver parts.
ttf_klimchak

3BF conversion

Post by ttf_klimchak »

I did not mean to blame my tech for the length of time getting parts from Conn Selmer.  I was just hoping that someone may have one for some reason or another that would be able to do the conversion in a timely manner.
ttf_gregs70

3BF conversion

Post by ttf_gregs70 »

I have both a 50s 3B straight and a 70s 3B-F I can take dimensions off of if that will help.  Just tell me what you want.
ttf_BGuttman

3BF conversion

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Have you considered patching the knuckle with some sheet brass?
ttf_bonearzt

3BF conversion

Post by ttf_bonearzt »

Quote from: Michael Medrick on Jan 23, 2018, 01:10PMChris,
I have been thru a similar process with have Eric Edwards make 36b bells convertible. The front braces are in different places for 36 straight and F attachment bell sections. Eric has a couple of cases(F attachment and G attachments) rotated the valve section out of theway and installed a back brace. I am it that sensitive a player about bells and solders and such, but I would say that reducing the number of contact pooints has a better feel or resonance than a section soldered to the bell. This has been my experience with convertible setups for both 36 and 50 models. Obviously I think Eric does great work. I am lucky to be ihere in the Dallas area with him. He is very easy to work with and does not have a chip on his shoulder or any inclination to offer up “No one does that” opinions.

I love this guy!!  In a brotherly kind of way....8)

Eric

ttf_bonearzt

3BF conversion

Post by ttf_bonearzt »

Quote from: Michael Medrick on Jan 23, 2018, 01:10PMChris,

I love this guy!!  In a brotherly kind of way....8)

Eric

Return to “Repairs, Modifications, and Maintenance”