Christan Griego shows you how to clean a slide

ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

This is a 7 minute video from Edwards Instruments on how to clean a slide.  Demonstrated by Christan himself.  I'd embed it here, but I couldn't find the information so you'll have to go there.

http://www.edwards-instruments.com/blog/2009/02/edwards-videos-on-youtube/

ttf_BFW

Post by ttf_BFW »

Quote from: BGuttman on Feb 18, 2009, 09:50AMI'd embed it here, but I couldn't find the information so you'll have to go there.
Click on the video while it's playing, and you get to the YouTube page, where you can grab the embedding information.

Embedded:

http://www.youtube.com/v/0-5qYuIlrh0&hl=en&fs=1
ttf_Joshua Brown

Post by ttf_Joshua Brown »

Thanks, Bruce.  There are many more on the way.
ttf_Exzaclee

Post by ttf_Exzaclee »

which kind of glass cleaner should i use?  is windex fine (blue) or should i find something clear.  i figure one of you guys would know which to avoid...'

Z
ttf_bob tromboneguy

Post by ttf_bob tromboneguy »

I use slide o mix on my Edwards slide and it works great. I clean it once about every 3 or 4 months. It goes just great. Maybe my slide is a freak. Image
ttf_john sandhagen

Post by ttf_john sandhagen »

I vote Freak Bob... Image

What Christian says about SOM goes for all slides...just not all people.
ttf_bob tromboneguy

Post by ttf_bob tromboneguy »

Bad dog, no biscuits.
ttf_john sandhagen

Post by ttf_john sandhagen »

Would never have considered the spike without the set... Image
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I've always had the impression you should only lube the stockings..........I'm looking forward to trying Christian's advice to lube the entire inner slide.

And I've always used lighter fluid to clean the outer slide and the inside and outside of the inner slide, because it's a solvent and dissolves all kinds of lubricating products, not to mention the crud that gets inside the inner slide.  Glass cleaner seems worth a try, but I've been very happy with the results of lighter fluid.  Must admit I've never seen anyone else use it!

I'm a bit puzzled that the video doesn't address cleaning the inside of the inner slide. I don't think dry cloth would cut it.
ttf_JBledsoe

Post by ttf_JBledsoe »

Quote from: bonehead37 on May 02, 2009, 05:10PMI'm a bit puzzled that the video doesn't address cleaning the inside of the inner slide. I don't think dry cloth would cut it.

Dry cloth cuts it absolutely. If you arent leaving your horn sitting for long period of time, whatever is growing inside your inner slide is going to stay pretty moist. I clean the inside of the inners with the same method Christian shows for the outers, just with a smaller width piece of cloth and no spray.
ttf_sfatbn07

Post by ttf_sfatbn07 »

I've always heard of, and use, cheese cloth when cleaning my slides but I've got a fellow student who uses the Slid-O-Mix brand cleaning cloth that you slide over the cleaning rod. Anyone have any opinions about that product?
ttf_Francis

Post by ttf_Francis »

Quote from: sfatbn07 on May 03, 2009, 09:35AMI've always heard of, and use, cheese cloth when cleaning my slides but I've got a fellow student who uses the Slid-O-Mix brand cleaning cloth that you slide over the cleaning rod. Anyone have any opinions about that product?

It's real easy to use. Easier than wrapping the rod. Works about as well.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: sfatbn07 on May 03, 2009, 09:35AMI've always heard of, and use, cheese cloth when cleaning my slides but I've got a fellow student who uses the Slid-O-Mix brand cleaning cloth that you slide over the cleaning rod. Anyone have any opinions about that product?

I addition to Dan's comment I would like to add that even though I use SuperSlick, I would not be without the Slide-O-Mix cleaning cloth for quick weekly buffing of the inside of the outer slide. No matter what slide lubricant you use it is really nice to have.
ttf_SilverBone

Post by ttf_SilverBone »

I think the Slide-O-Mix cleaning rod is great.  I have it in both sizes.  Much easier to use than wrapping cheesecloth around a standard cleaning rod - I clean my horns more frequently because of it.

It's not just for cleaning Slide-O-Mix off - I use Trombotine.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Anyone got an opinion about some new yamaha slide stuff that came out? My trombone teacher, Rusty Mckinney got some and uses it on his edwards, says it works great. i use it on my horns too, i just dont know how much it will build up junk. Anyone know?
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Does anyone know of any methods to clean the crook? Would a snake brush be dangerous?
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: tobias02134 on Jul 31, 2009, 06:21PMDoes anyone know of any methods to clean the crook? Would a snake brush be dangerous?

You have to grab the snake just behind the head ...

Oh, you mean that  snake. Image

It's intended for the crook.  That's part of the extended cleaning you can find on the Online Trombone Journal article "Keep it Clean", which covers the bath and the brush out.

ttf_KingMan

Post by ttf_KingMan »

Instead of the typical cleaning rod, I bought a couple of rifle/shotgun cleaning kits at Wal-Mart for $10 each. The cleaning swabs that screw onto the end of the rod come in several diameters. I've used everything from a dry swab to water to Brasso to clean the inside of both the outer and inner slides.

The advantage is that you don't have to mess with cheese cloth. Clean the swab, let it dry and you're good to go.

Joel
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: KingMan on Sep 03, 2009, 03:06PMInstead of the typical cleaning rod, I bought a couple of rifle/shotgun cleaning kits at Wal-Mart for $10 each. The cleaning swabs that screw onto the end of the rod come in several diameters. I've used everything from a dry swab to water to Brasso to clean the inside of both the outer and inner slides.

The advantage is that you don't have to mess with cheese cloth. Clean the swab, let it dry and you're good to go.

Joel

Just be careful.  I also use a shotgun rod.

Always twist the rod in a clockwise direction, whether inserting or withdrawing.  You never want to turn counterclockwise, unless you have a good repairman handy to remove the mop or patches that are stuck inside.

ttf_ncmike1

Post by ttf_ncmike1 »

I had my slide done by the Slide Doctor (John Upchurch), and I watched as he just used old sheets, ripped them into strips and wrapped that around the rod to clean the outer slide.  He's the expert, so I don't think it's necessary to use cheesecloth or fancy SOM cleaning cloth.  I've been using ripped sheets, or buy bulk muslin and they work just fine.  I usually run the wrapped rod through the outer slide before every rehearsal or performance, wipe my inner slide with a microfiber towel, and apply SOM.  Spray a little water, and smooth as silk every time.  Takes me less than 5 minutes to do this.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: BGuttman on Feb 18, 2009, 09:50AMThis is a 7 minute video from Edwards Instruments on how to clean a slide.  Demonstrated by Christan himself.  I'd embed it here, but I couldn't find the information so you'll have to go there.

http://www.edwards-instruments.com/blog/2009/02/edwards-videos-on-youtube/

Bruce, Shouldn`t I buff the inside of the outer slide with silver polish, liquid Wrights or Weiman? Thanks
Bill

<Edit: Quote fixed by Moderator>
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

The inside of your outer is brass or nickel silver (which is a copper alloy as well).  Christan didn't expressly suggest polishing the inside of the outer because most newer instruments won't need it.

Incidentally, I wouldn't use silver cream; I'd use brass polish.

ttf_captscotty

Post by ttf_captscotty »

Here's Watrous in 1999 doing same...I've actually improved my crappy Jinbao alto slide quite a bit doing this daily...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4CljIvt4Pw
ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist

Post by ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist »

Recently did this to ALL of my Bones, the action is better and I haven't found any problems with my Slide-O-Mix and Fast combo. The Cleveland Superior I bought a few days ago really needed it, the most disgusting stuff came out of that slide... I'm so happy this Trombone fell into the hands of someone who likes to care for their instruments.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I've followed his method and though it is smoother than ever my slide is still making a gritty sound. I live in florida and march near beach so i have obviously checked it for sand and dirt but it looks ad feels as clean as it can get, any ideas why its still gritty sounding?  Image
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

First, are there any dents in the slide?  Really small dents that don't even seem to be a problem?  They can cause that.

Second, do you have a light weight nickel silver slide?  They tend to be a little "grittier" than pure brass.

Finally, even though you wipe your slide down, if you are on the beach you will get grit back on almost immediately.  Make sure you wipe down before you put it away.  Both the outside of the inner slide and the inside of the outer slide.

Good luck.

ttf_FPCSoloist

Post by ttf_FPCSoloist »

No dents, just had it sent for that as a matter of fact, and we dont march directly on the sand, but I live in palm coast which is two ish miles from the beach so rather than dirt its sand AND dirt. I do though have a lightweight slide so im gonna take a guess and say thats my problem, anyway to fix that gritty sound? It's very noticable in solos and leads. Image
ttf_hurry

Post by ttf_hurry »

I am using Zippo Lighter fluid for clean slides
almost every month.

My friend advised me that  Image
cheap and easy to use.

I do not use Zippo lighter
but use matches for cigar Image

hurry,

ttf_Offbass

Post by ttf_Offbass »

On cleaning rods: indeed rods that come with small bore rifle-cleaning kits work very well (.22, .243); the one I have used come in segments that thread together, thus store conveniently, and the thread-in tip for swabs is plastic and could be safer for trombone slides, although I still don't poke it in with abandon.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I use those window cleaning wipes on the rod that came with my horn. Cloth & solvent all in one! Image
ttf_TNTBONE

Post by ttf_TNTBONE »

I recently bought this slide cleaner on amazon.. I can get into a lot of places on the trombone quickly and safely. It's very easy to use and seems to do a good job keeping the tubing clean.

HW Products UBSTB Brass-Saver Trombone Brush Set
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002OVCYW/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
ttf_HouBassTrombone

Post by ttf_HouBassTrombone »

Another great resource is the Slide Dr. website. It shows what to use to polish the slide and they have a great product that does that and speeds up the slide. Check it out!
ttf_billepstein

Post by ttf_billepstein »

Trombotine even smells like Ponds!

The Cleveland Orchestra used it, everyone at school, camp, University and community orchestra used it. Both my section mates when I did a year in England used it; from my first lesson in 1954 to my last concert back in the early Eighties, no one used anything but Ponds and water.

The horn I recently acquired to relive my childhood came with a squeeze bottle of Yamaha goo that's pretty good but it drips. Let's not mention what it looks like, okay?

I ordered the Trombotine to try what was done in the Edwards video plus I took someone's advice here after a search and drowned the slide in the stuff, then let it sit over night. Wal Mart had the unbleached cottom muslin (I don;t think you want cheesecloth) and there was Windex (hey lighter fluid guy, get VM&P Naptha at a paint store, it has less garbage in it) under the sink so I went to work. After working the Muslin covered rod in the tubing, only the first few inches were really soiled so I snipped that bit off and re-did that tube. For the other tube I just turned the cloth around so the former handle end was now the business end with the same 2 applications, same result. I wasn't being cheap, except for the dirty few inches, the cloth was really quite clean and dry.

Windex really did a nice job on the inner slide tubes. I noticed a bit of schmutz as I bore-sighted the inner slide tubes so with a fresh piece of muslin, I cleaned those as well.

I had learned to apply a good dab of Ponds to the stockings only, extending it just onto the slide proper then working it on each tube, spraying, working it then wiping off everything except what covered the stockings. Even so, I followed the video and rubbed a dab over the entire slide, beginning on the stockings. Worked the slide, applied the water spray and, HEY!!!, it's brilliant!

60 years farther down the road and I have my Ponds back!
ttf_jmtheob

Post by ttf_jmtheob »

Quote from: HouBassTrombone on Mar 15, 2013, 09:00AMAnother great resource is the Slide Dr. website. It shows what to use to polish the slide and they have a great product that does that and speeds up the slide. Check it out!

I have used the Dr's slide cleaner and I can vouch for it.  You would not believe the black *#()&#$ that came out of the Bach 50 slide that I recently bought. After two treatments I can't imagine a slide being any better.  It practically slides off when the slide is pointing up!  Image
ttf_Strussman

Post by ttf_Strussman »

Even a small amount rubbed all over the inner tubes is too much just the stockings is necessary.  I like the Bill Watrous technique of doing it twice. After cleaning rod, once to put it on the outer slide walls (one tube at a time, and then put each on the wrong way and work it) then wipe it off, put an even smaller amount on the stockings and water thoroughly. I have tried the windex for getting it super clean. That works!

ttf_Posaunus

Post by ttf_Posaunus »

Of course Christian Griego’s slide-care method is fine - he is truly an expert. 

A few comments:

• I also endorse the H.W. Products "H.W. Brass-Saver" brush.  This plastic ribbon snake with a gentle fabric brush will completely clean the inside of both the inner slides and the outer slide [pulls clear through the outer, including the crook, removing any material, lubricant, or liquid inside the slide; no sharp edges or rigid surfaces to damage the slide]. 

• Slide-O-Mix has worked very well for me, used as prescribed, with no noticeable build-up or deterioration.  But I do follow Bruce Belo’s protocol of cleaning the slide (nearly) daily [wipe with dry cloth, interior slide brush, cleaning rod with cloth] and putting it back in the case "dead dry." 

• Yamaha slide lubricant (newer stuff, white liquid with applicator tip) also works well.  I just use a small amount on the slide stockings and work it in with the slide (though sometimes I cheat and spread a miniscule amount up the slide), and spritz with R.O. or distilled water.  No build-up if wiped clean with a dry cloth after playing. 

• I'm so old that I still have a jar of Pond's cold cream in the closet, and a small original Conn Super-Slick.  For modern slides and care techniques, these are just out of date.  The newer stuff really does work better for most of us (though it's hard to argue with Bill Watrous). 

• What doesn't work: Ultra-Pure trombone slide lubricant.  For me, and many other trombonists that I know, the result is a gritty, grabby slide.  Don't understand why, but it's a loser for us.  Anyone want a small bottle? - I'll send it to you for the cost of shipping! 

• I recommend staying away from Windex and other glass cleaners.  It's really not useful if you're otherwise keeping your slides clean, and the ingredients (including ammonia) can damage your lacquer.  Not a happy outcome! 

• Same would apply for WD-40, carburetor cleaner, lighter fluid, or other solvents and oils.  I'm also skeptical about brass polish, etc. inside a slide.  Your trombone isn't an internal combustion engine - the only things that should enter the instrument are your breath (mostly air and water, a little saliva) and very small amounts of special-purpose slide lubricants. 

ttf_harrison.t.reed

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

The best material I've found to use on a cleaning rod is stretchy medical gauze. You can buy it on the CHEAP and it comes pre cut into the perfect shape. Because it's stretchy, you can wrap it "too" thick on the rod and be confident that it will hit every spot and not get stuck.

Did I mention that it's dirt cheap?
ttf_Driswood

Post by ttf_Driswood »

Quote from: harrison.t.reed on Jun 12, 2015, 05:35AMThe best material I've found to use on a cleaning rod is stretchy medical gauze. You can buy it on the CHEAP and it comes pre cut into the perfect shape. Because it's stretchy, you can wrap it "too" thick on the rod and be confident that it will hit every spot and not get stuck.

Did I mention that it's dirt cheap?

Where do you get it?

Jerry Walker
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Quote from: Driswood on Jul 06, 2015, 04:43AMWhere do you get it?

Jerry Walker

Oh, just in the health section at any old grocery store. It'll be near the bandaids in a small box. They come in rolls. Make sure its a roll, not the patches. Gauze is nice because its mesh structure is very mildly abrasive (against gunk).

Like this:

http://www.walgreens.com/q/gauze-rolls
ttf_Driswood

Post by ttf_Driswood »

Quote from: harrison.t.reed on Jul 06, 2015, 05:41AMOh, just in the health section at any old grocery store. It'll be near the bandaids in a small box. They come in rolls. Make sure its a roll, not the patches. Gauze is nice because its mesh structure is very mildly abrasive (against gunk).

Like this:

http://www.walgreens.com/q/gauze-rolls

Thanks!
ttf_2olbones

Post by ttf_2olbones »

Call me crazy but I use alcohol, which works great to clear out any Slide-o-mix residue, and clean inside the inners as well as the inside of the lead pipe (which is usually unspeakably dirty).   I clean every two weeks, follow up with a Brass Brush to get any lint residue out, relube with SOM and go play!  Never use anything but distilled water, even in the bone bottle.
ttf_BillO

Post by ttf_BillO »

I use alcohol too.  Usually a shot-glass full of single malt to sip while I get to cleaning my slide. Image

For that, I use a method very similar to Christian's, except I use a 1/4" wooden dowel with a nice rounded tip on it instead of the metal rod.  I also use 'J'-cloths instead of the cheese cloth.  Very similar fabric and they cost me nothing.  My wife buys them for cleaning purposes.  Image  But I like the medical gauze idea.  I usually do a full cleaning once a month or more frequently if the slide gets sluggish.  I do an inner slide wipe down before each lubrication.

For lubricant, I have just about everything (coldcream, SuperSlick (old and new), Trombotine, SoM, SoM Comfort) and I switch back and forth with them from time to time between cleanings.  They all work great, but I have used something better (more on that later).  I have never had a problem with any build-up of any kind.

As for the best lubricant ever?  Well, back in school I used to use a Johnson product called Clean 'n' Shine on the advice of our band director to clean our instruments.  I once tried it on the slide, and wow!  Insanely good!  A tiny spritz would last for about 20 hours of playing (about a week or so back then).  Although a tiny amount was all you needed, it was almost impossible to put too much on.  Unfortunately Johnson stopped making it back in the early '90s. So sad.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Best way I have found to clean my slide is to soak it in lukewarm water. I put a towel in the bottom of the tub and run my water about a 1/2 in over the slide so it's submerged and let it fill up with water. Then I let is soak about 15 minutes. Then I take my snake and while it's still underwater and run the snake through it a few times until it's clean. then I wash the inner slide with a mild dish detergent (I use Palmolive) to remove any excess oil build up. Then I rinse it off and set it out to dry. Then I just put some new slide cream on it and it's as smooth as new.
ttf_bigbandaxes

Post by ttf_bigbandaxes »

New to this dicussion. What surprised me about Christan's video was that he didn't address the inside of the inner slide tubes and the inside od the crook! That's where all the beer and pretzels end up! Also where the red rot starts! You would be surprised at what comes out! The first thing I do every week is put a "spit ball" through the assembled slide section. Several times! Then I proceed pretty much as in his video.
ttf_bonearzt

Post by ttf_bonearzt »

Quote from: bigbandaxes on Dec 27, 2017, 05:21AMNew to this dicussion. What surprised me about Christan's video was that he didn't address the inside of the inner slide tubes and the inside od the crook! That's where all the beer and pretzels end up! Also where the red rot starts! You would be surprised at what comes out! The first thing I do every week is put a "spit ball" through the assembled slide section. Several times! Then I proceed pretty much as in his video.
A quick blast with a garden hose works well too!
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Quote from: bigbandaxes on Dec 27, 2017, 05:21AMNew to this dicussion. What surprised me about Christan's video was that he didn't address the inside of the inner slide tubes and the inside od the crook! That's where all the beer and pretzels end up! Also where the red rot starts! You would be surprised at what comes out! The first thing I do every week is put a "spit ball" through the assembled slide section. Several times! Then I proceed pretty much as in his video.

You can just use some dish soap and one of those snake brushes. To rinse, you just need a funnel.
ttf_billepstein

Post by ttf_billepstein »

Quote from: bonehead37 on May 02, 2009, 05:10PMI've always had the impression you should only lube the stockings..........I'm looking forward to trying Christian's advice to lube the entire inner slide.

And I've always used lighter fluid to clean the outer slide and the inside and outside of the inner slide, because it's a solvent and dissolves all kinds of lubricating products, not to mention the crud that gets inside the inner slide.  Glass cleaner seems worth a try, but I've been very happy with the results of lighter fluid.  Must admit I've never seen anyone else use it!

I'm a bit puzzled that the video doesn't address cleaning the inside of the inner slide. I don't think dry cloth would cut it.

Never tried lighter fluid, not a fan of solvents on soft metals like brass. If lighter fluid seems appropriate, I would counsel using VM&P Naptha from the paint store. Lighter fluid is Naptha but VM&P (varnish makers and painters) is filtered of contaminants. It's the choice of conservators at the Smithsonian to safely clean the crud of time from antique wooden furniture.

Several years ago I had the privilege of visiting The Slide Doctor and watched him spend several hours vigorously burnishing the inners of the outer slide with brass polish using an ordinary cleaning rod and white cotton muslin wrapped around the rod. Frequent rinsings as the work progressed. With the slide crook removed I was able to see the glistening inners and the final result, a slide that just wanted to escape to the Moon.

That is my method ever since. The burnishing and Super Slick cream and oil make poor slides free and easy. https://youtu.be/uMrUxLKMRQ8
ttf_timothy42b

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

I watched that video with John Upchurch.

What was the little bottle he put on after the Superslick? 
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Superslick sells a silicone drop that can be used to make SuperSlick work "better".  The small bottle of Slide-O-Mix does about the same thing.  Also works on Trombotine and cold cream.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Superslick sells a silicone drop that can be used to make SuperSlick work "better".  The small bottle of Slide-O-Mix does about the same thing.  Also works on Trombotine and cold cream.

Return to “Repairs, Modifications, and Maintenance”