ttf_ISAB

Water coming out of bell?

Post by ttf_ISAB »

There is water coming out of my bell every time I practice

Why??? Image
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: ISAB on Jan 27, 2017, 12:49PMThere is water coming out of my bell every time I practice

Why??? Image

It's natural.

You are blowing warm, moist air into the trombone.  The trombone acts as a cooling coil.  The warmer the trombone is, the firther toward the bell the condensation point of your breath is.

Wipe it down with a towel.  Or play in rooms with relatively warm temperatures -- it won't happen if the air is 98.6 F (38C).
ttf_bonenick

Post by ttf_bonenick »

Quote from: BGuttman on Jan 27, 2017, 12:57PM it won't happen if the air is 98.6 F (38C).
It still may, depending on the humidity of the place, especially outdoor near the sea.
ttf_Blowero

Post by ttf_Blowero »

Quote from: BGuttman on Jan 27, 2017, 12:57PMIt's natural.

You are blowing warm, moist air into the trombone.  The trombone acts as a cooling coil.  The warmer the trombone is, the firther toward the bell the condensation point of your breath is.

Wipe it down with a towel.  Or play in rooms with relatively warm temperatures -- it won't happen if the air is 98.6 F (38C).
If you're drunk, does that mean alcohol is coming out of the bell?
ttf_bonenick

Post by ttf_bonenick »

Quote from: Blowero on Jan 27, 2017, 01:09PMIf you're drunk, does that mean alcohol is coming out of the bell?

That would be awesome!!!  Image Image Image
ttf_uncle duke

Post by ttf_uncle duke »

I'm having the same water problem.  I just started playing this month after 32 years of not being around a horn.  That may have something to do with it right there but I don't ever remember having the water problem I have now back then.
  I'll put getting back into playing shape as half the cause but the cheap looking Allora brand mouthpiece could be some of the problem along with the low grade horn I'm using.  I'm thinking the mouthpiece is too small and maybe slotting issues causing me to apply more air and in return leaving water after playing, yes, it's running out of the bell end here too............ but I'm having fun regardless of the mess.   I haven't found my old mouthpiece yet though I know it should be around here somewhere Image .
ttf_jedrph

Post by ttf_jedrph »

It means you're putting lots of warm air through the horn----this is a good thing !! It happens more to me if I'm playing in a cold room/basement etc. perfectly natural. If you're not getting a least a little, your not using enough air IMO.
ttf_Tbonedude

Post by ttf_Tbonedude »

Like others have stated, it's just your warm, humid breath condensing in the bell. If you are able to use warm enough air, and it's cold enough, you get a strange phenomenon- the carbon dioxide in your breath will condense into a vapor cloud. It looks pretty freaky, it happened to me a few times during marching band season.
ttf_Taytay051

Post by ttf_Taytay051 »

Quote from: BGuttman on Jan 27, 2017, 12:57PMit won't happen if the air is 98.6 F (38C).

Darn right it wont! I'll be too busy panting to even think about playing Image
ttf_ISAB

Post by ttf_ISAB »

Thanks for all the replies!
The explanations were helpful
BTW the room temp in Chicago is around 50°F so I know what's happening now Image
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: ISAB on Jan 28, 2017, 12:17PMThanks for all the replies!
The explanations were helpful
BTW the room temp in Chicago is around 50°F so I know what's happening now Image

Too bad you can't bottle this up and save it for the summer when the room temperature is around 80. Image
ttf_back2bone

Post by ttf_back2bone »

I was studying with a new teacher when I was 18 and noticed water "leaking" from the bell. I mentioned it to my teacher and he said, "That's good. It means you're moving enough air through the horn and supporting the tone." Hadn't noticed it in the 9 previous years I'd been playing.
ttf_bonenick

Post by ttf_bonenick »

Quote from: BGuttman on Jan 28, 2017, 12:28PMToo bad you can't bottle this up and save it for the summer when the room temperature is around 80. Image

Good thinking, BG. One can try, though. However, I wouldn't drink it.
ttf_afugate

Post by ttf_afugate »

Quote from: back2bone on Yesterday at 12:34 AMI was studying with a new teacher when I was 18 and noticed water "leaking" from the bell. I mentioned it to my teacher and he said, "That's good. It means you're moving enough air through the horn and supporting the tone." Hadn't noticed it in the 9 previous years I'd been playing.

I said this very thing to a student yesterday.  I told him, "Congratulations!  Get used to it.  When you play with good air that can happen."  He went from concerned to happy.  Image

--Andy in OKC
ttf_lou2cv

Post by ttf_lou2cv »

Yep, i remember when i started working seriously on my breathing and support techniques. I've never had water before and after one week, it was coming out of the bell  Image
ttf_lou2cv

Post by ttf_lou2cv »

Yep, i remember when i started working seriously on my breathing and support techniques. I've never had water before and after one week, it was coming out of the bell  Image

Return to “Repairs, Modifications, and Maintenance”