Apple discontinues ipod nano and shuffle

ttf_altoid

Post by ttf_altoid »

Both models have been removed from the the web site, but can still be found in stores - for a short time only according to the kid I spoke to in my local store. I just picked up two shuffles. Fyi.
ttf_bigbassbone1

Post by ttf_bigbassbone1 »

Huh... it was my understanding that Apple were not making any new models of the iPod or continuing anything they have produced in the past from the "ipod" range. I thought the only way to but one that wasn't second hand was to just hope stores had new old stock.

I am confused by this though, I love my iPod and don't really see what could replace it. I don't drive so my iPod has saved me on countless long public transport trips and long walks. A friend told me recently that everyone now just stores their music on their phone and listens to it from there. Surely doing that though would drain precious battery life that is in short supply on smartphones anyway? Not to mention my iPod has more space that any phone I have seen offered.

The moral of this is that this is sad news for me  Image
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

It doesn't use much battery power to play mp3s on a smartphone wuth headphones. I imagine Apple would rather sell $700 iPhone 9s than $60 shuffles.

Not saying a tiny mp3 player doesn't make complete and total sense.
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

If you go with an Android, a lot of the phones let you put an SD card in. I have 256GB + the internal 64GB at the moment on my phone. Nice thing about Android is you literally click and drag the music to your phone like it's an external hard drive and its just there. Don't have to sync it with iTunes or other proprietary software!
ttf_altoid

Post by ttf_altoid »

Quote from: Matt K on Jul 28, 2017, 05:48PMDon't have to sync it with iTunes or other proprietary software!

This is my biggest issue with ipods. I'd also like to be able to play FLAC files (non-proprietary). The last model shuffle will play ALAC files, so I make do with that when ripping CDs.
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Quote from: altoid on Jul 28, 2017, 06:04PMThis is my biggest issue with ipods. I'd also like to be able to play FLAC files (non-proprietary). The last model shuffle will play ALAC files, so I make do with that when ripping CDs.

I did that too when I had an iPhone. I basically had a second copy of all my music that I converted to alac. Now that I have this I just went ahead and deleted it since I can natively run flac now. I do use media monkey but it isn't necessary!
ttf_altoid

Post by ttf_altoid »

I also have a duplicate FLAC set for use with my gnu/linux system, dac and home stereo. Works great.
ttf_fsung

Post by ttf_fsung »

quote author=Matt K link=topic=101372.msg1205380#msg1205380 date=1501289288]
If you go with an Android, a lot of the phones let you put an SD card in. [/quote]

But you're stuck with Android.  Image Image Image

QuoteI have 256GB + the internal 64GB at the moment on my phone.
iPhone 5s and 1TB Samsung T3 SSD. Image Just need a Lightning-to-USB C cable. Appears as another folder on the home screen.

QuoteNice thing about Android is you literally click and drag the music to your phone like it's an external hard drive and its just there. Don't have to sync it with iTunes or other proprietary software!

You can play directly from the external drive on an iPhone. Just tap on an audio file in a supported format and it automatically opens in the Music app: don't even have to copy it to your phone.

Quote from: harrison.t.reed on Jul 28, 2017, 03:59PMIt doesn't use much battery power to play mp3s on a smartphone wuth wired headphones.

FTFY. Bluetooth headphones are a whole nother story.
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

But can you use bluetooth headphones with the iPod shuffle?
ttf_altoid

Post by ttf_altoid »

Quote from: harrison.t.reed on Jul 28, 2017, 08:36PMBut can you use bluetooth headphones with the iPod shuffle?

Shuffle is wired only. The last nano can be used with bluetooth devices.
ttf_fsung

Post by ttf_fsung »

Quote from: harrison.t.reed on Jul 28, 2017, 08:36PMBut can you use bluetooth headphones with the iPod shuffle?

A) Irrelevant since the correction was specific to your statement about power consumption when playing mp3s on smartphones;

B) You can if you use the Shuffle as an external storage device on a jailbroken iPhone.  Image
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

QuoteiPhone 5s and 1TB Samsung T3 SSD. Image Just need a Lightning-to-USB C cable. Appears as another folder on the home screen.

You carry around an external hard drive just to listen to music? Yikes, I'll stick with Android. Which also has that capability if you want lol
ttf_fsung

Post by ttf_fsung »

Quote from: Matt K on Yesterday at 05:00 AMYou carry around an external hard drive just to listen to music? Yikes, I'll stick with Android. Which also has that capability if you want lol

Of course not, silly. When you're the IT and Multimedia Director of a 1000+ member church and you carry around a live backup of the church's entire multimedia library, sometimes I listen to sermons and lectures, or watch videos.  Image
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Quote from: fsung on Yesterday at 06:17 PMOf course not, silly. When you're the IT and Multimedia Director of a 1000+ member church and you carry around a live backup of the church's entire multimedia library, sometimes I listen to sermons and lectures, or watch videos.  Image

I see! well, I'll still stick to not carrying around a hard drive with me everywhere  Image
ttf_fsung

Post by ttf_fsung »

Quote from: Matt K on Jul 29, 2017, 06:25PMI see! well, I'll still stick to not carrying around a hard drive with me everywhere  Image

Yeah, 'cuz  it's SUCH a chore to lug around a 1.8 oz. SSD.  Image
ttf_Todd Jonz

Post by ttf_Todd Jonz »

fsung writes:

> it's SUCH a chore to lug around a 1.8 oz. SSD.

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean.  I have to lug around *three* of the damn things (my backup array, pictured below) when we travel.  The strain is unbearable -- albeit less unbearable than the three WD HDDs, power supplies, and cables they replaced.  Image

ttf_Driswood

Post by ttf_Driswood »

Quote from: Matt K on Jul 28, 2017, 05:48PMIf you go with an Android, a lot of the phones let you put an SD card in. I have 256GB + the internal 64GB at the moment on my phone. Nice thing about Android is you literally click and drag the music to your phone like it's an external hard drive and its just there. Don't have to sync it with iTunes or other proprietary software!

I recently moved from Android to an iPhone 7. I do miss having an SD card. What an inexpensive way to add storage. Drag and drop is good.

But that's the only thing I miss. Since I have a Mac and an iPad, syncing is pretty seamless.

Jerry Walker
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Quote from: Todd Jonz on Jul 30, 2017, 08:50PMfsung writes:

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean.  I have to lug around *three* of the damn things (my backup array, pictured below) when we travel.  The strain is unbearable -- albeit less unbearable than the three WD HDDs, power supplies, and cables they replaced.  Image

Well, I carry mine around with me when I'm walking around in town, between classes, work, etc.  My phone fits nicely in my pocket; three hard drives, even small ones, would be a stretch! (And I buck the millenial trend of skinny jeans  Image )

ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Quote from: Todd Jonz on Jul 30, 2017, 08:50PMfsung writes:

Well, I carry mine around with me when I'm walking around in town, between classes, work, etc.  My phone fits nicely in my pocket; three hard drives, even small ones, would be a stretch! (And I buck the millenial trend of skinny jeans  Image )

Return to “Technology”