Wireless/clip-on mic set up for bone & euph

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I'm in the market for something that will work for each horn! I'm primarily playing euph in a band where I absolutely need a wireless set up, so something that works for a euph is probably a priority. However for my (many more) gigs on bone I'm starting to get tired of playing into a mic, so it would be great to have one that will work there as well.

Affordability would be nice, but I'm willing to spend more for a mic setup that will work for each instrument.
ttf_BillO

Post by ttf_BillO »

I recently bought an Apex 565 clip on condenser mic (needs a phantom supply) for about $100 US.  It sounds great and will work on pretty well any brass instrument or saxophone.  Might eve work on a few of the clarinet family.
ttf_gregs70

Post by ttf_gregs70 »

http://www.fullcompass.com/prod/263291-Apex-Electronics-Apex565 $80 shipped.
"The Apex Electronics Apex565 is particularly suited for many different types of instruments including sax, trumpet, trombone, woodwinds, acoustic (especially classical) guitars, cello, Double Bass and drums.  It has also been successfully utilized (with user modifications to the clamp assembly) on violins and violas, accordions and ducilmers."
It is a condenser mike, so probalbly needs phantom power.
ttf_bbocaner

Post by ttf_bbocaner »

I have and use once in a while the Sennheiser e908 clip-on cardiod condenser mic with the EW122G3 wireless system. The wireless system comes with a lavalier microphone but you can take that off and substitute the e908. The belt-pack transmitter provides power for the condenser mic.

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

The Shure GLX system performs great for the money and it has the benefit of being a rechargeable system. Plus, due to it being a Shure product, in the states it's really easy to pick up a replacement at a local store if you're on the road.
ttf_BillO

Post by ttf_BillO »

What is really needed is an entry level system in this field.  $1000+ is a lot of denarii for anyone but a pro.  I've been using the Apex and that suits me for I'm currently doing, but I can foresee a time when a wireless mic would be an real asset.

They can make a very passable mic for under $100 and they can make FRS radios for under $50 a pair.  Why can't they make a $150 wireless mic outfit?
ttf_BillO

Post by ttf_BillO »

I found This..

Anyone tried it?
ttf_Geordie

Post by ttf_Geordie »

I'm with rabiddolphin on this. I got a Shure GLX for less than 300 sterling and its great to use. Not used rechargeable batteries though.
ttf_UWBone

Post by ttf_UWBone »

Just want to thank everyone who recommended the Apex 565. As a microphone it's exactly what I needed: it doesn't pick up monitor noise, conversations, etc. Just the horn. It doesn't need a phantom power unit.

I am using the AKG mini wireless system with it. This is a reliable, inexpensive system from a good brand. I can wire the mic to the beltpack and affix the beltpack to my horn with velcro. The only drawback is that the input to the beltpack is a "mini XLR" male input. Finding an adapter from the mic (male XLR) to the beltpack was a pain. I had never heard of mini XLR and several folks at LA audio stores hadn't either, and had to drive around a bit to find the proper part.

I like the AKG for what it does and the price ($99) but might consider finding a system with a standard, XLR input transmitter pack that will fit on the horn.
ttf_BillO

Post by ttf_BillO »

The PT40 mini must supply a minimal amount of phantom power since the Apex 565 does indeed need it (9V-52V).
ttf_BillO

Post by ttf_BillO »

The PT40 mini must supply a minimal amount of phantom power since the Apex 565 does indeed need it (9V-52V).

Return to “Technology”