IOS 11

ttf_Driswood

IOS 11

Post by ttf_Driswood »

I just downloaded and installed IOS 11 on my iPhone and iPad. I usually wait to install new OS software, but decided to jump. We'll see if I made a mistake.

So far, I like it. Changed the look, but not too drastically. It allows me to use my thumbprint to log in to more websites, specifically, my bank. ForScore just updated, so I'm curious to see what's changed there.

The prize? Maps now lets you know what the speed limit is! My Garmin did that, and it's a feature I have missed. It helps when you missed the speed limit change after an intersection.

Waiting to see how it affects battery life.

Hopefully, there won't be too many bugaboos. All my apps are behaving so far. I know I'll figure out more of the changes as I go along.

Jerry Walker
ttf_Driswood

IOS 11

Post by ttf_Driswood »

I've noticed battery life is a little shorter. It's only been a day, and everything I've read says to expect that for up to a week while the phone indexes itself.

I had already turned off battery draining services I don't use when I was running IOS 10. Did do a few more that aren't necessary for me. Fetching new emails. Off now. I don't need my phone to constantly look for new emails. I load them manually.

Will post battery life changes later.

After one day, I love it so far!

Jerry Walker
ttf_SilverBone

IOS 11

Post by ttf_SilverBone »

I have not yet installed iOS 11, though I've downloaded it.

I'm especially concerned about whether or not iOS 11 requires iTunes to be updated to the latest version.  The latest version of iTunes has a killer misfeature - Apple removed all support for apps in iTunes.  They now expect you to manage all of your apps on your tiny iPhone screen instead of your giant computer monitor.

Furthermore, you'll need ample WiFi time for your phone to update apps (unless you have unlimited data on your phone plan).  This is a pain.  My workflow now is to use iTunes to download app updates on the computer and move them to the phone all at once.

Lots of people screaming about this on Apple Support Communities.

If anyone know if iOS 11 requires the latest iTunes, I'd appreciate hearing.
ttf_Todd Jonz

IOS 11

Post by ttf_Todd Jonz »

Howard writes:

> If anyone know if iOS 11 requires the latest iTunes,
> I'd appreciate hearing.

Word is that iOS 11 does play nice with iTunes 12.6.  I feel your pain.  We had satellite Internet service with a 17GB/mo cap for a decade, and my workflow was the same as yours.  But when we entered the world of iOS apps I had to charge up the Mac, take it to the public library, and use their network to download updates.

Driswood writes:

> Waiting to see how it affects battery life.

Remember that there is almost always some kind of buzz in the wind about reduced battery life associated with major OS releases.  A common explanation for this is that folks spend a lot of time fiddling with new features, updating apps, etc., comsuming more battery than they usually do.  That’s the best reason to wait a week or so before trying to evaluate battery life.

ttf_SilverBone

IOS 11

Post by ttf_SilverBone »

Quote from: Todd Jonz on Sep 22, 2017, 03:44PMHoward writes:

> If anyone know if iOS 11 requires the latest iTunes,
> I'd appreciate hearing.

Word is that iOS 11 does play nice with iTunes 12.6. 

That's better than a one-word "No" response, but I think I'll wait until I see several people post that they are successfully using iTunes 12.6 with iOS 11.

It's amazing that Apple would remove app support without considering the impact.  If it was done (as theorized) because iTunes is too bloated, then a standalone app manager would be fine with me.

App management is the only feature of iTunes I use!   Image
ttf_Driswood

IOS 11

Post by ttf_Driswood »

Quote from: Todd Jonz on Sep 22, 2017, 03:44PMDriswood writes:

> Waiting to see how it affects battery life.

Remember that there is almost always some kind of buzz in the wind about reduced battery life associated with major OS releases.  A common explanation for this is that folks spend a lot of time fiddling with new features, updating apps, etc., comsuming more battery than they usually do.  That’s the best reason to wait a week or so before trying to evaluate battery life.

Four days in, and battery life is greatly improved. All my apps have been updated, indexing must be through, and I turned off a few more services I never use.

Jerry Walker

ttf_Quiros

IOS 11

Post by ttf_Quiros »

I don’t see the need for the jumbo headers at the top of all the built-in apps. Yes, I know I’m using the Messages app. It’s just a waste of screen real estate.

The ability to customize the Command Center is good. I also really like the smart inverted color mode.

EDIT: I noticed iOS 11 changed multitasking on the iPad Pro. Not really sure if I like it that much, but I never used multitasking for much anyway.
ttf_Todd Jonz

IOS 11

Post by ttf_Todd Jonz »

Of possible interest to Howard and others is the release of a "legacy" version of iTunes that still supports app management.  It's intended for corporate customers but is generally available at present, so it if you're interested grab it soon before Apple changes its mind.

ttf_SilverBone

IOS 11

Post by ttf_SilverBone »

Thank you, Todd.  If I get a new iPhone this will undoubtedly come in very handy.
ttf_trombonejb

IOS 11

Post by ttf_trombonejb »

If you ask Siri for the weather, it’ll present you with very small numbers for temperatures.
ttf_SilverBone

IOS 11

Post by ttf_SilverBone »

Quote from: trombonejb on Oct 14, 2017, 02:56PMIf you ask Siri for the weather, it’ll present you with very small numbers for temperatures.

Degrees Kelvin??
ttf_BGuttman

IOS 11

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: SilverBone on Yesterday at 01:28 AMDegrees Kelvin??

The Absolute temperatures scales, Kelvin and Rankine, use Absolute Zero as their base.  The freezing point of water (0C) is 273 Degrees Kelvin.  Zero degrees Fahrenheit is 459 Degrees Rankine. 

I think Siri is just Metric and gives temperatures in Degrees Celsius, where a nice day is around 20 degrees (68 F) and it's really hot at 30 (85 F).
ttf_cmillar

IOS 11

Post by ttf_cmillar »

I've been an Apple 'disciple' for about 20 years or more.

But, I'm starting to lose the faith. My brother updated his iPhone 6 to the latest OS, and he's experiencing a drop in battery life use. And, he's had to go through a ton of other problems related to iCloud synching, etc.

Does one REALLY need to be connected to iCloud for all aspects of our life?

Does one REALLY need to upgrade to the latest OSX every 3 months, and then lose time and work waiting for all the software developers to change and conform to Apple's latest changes?

Does one REALLY need to buy a new phone every year?

Do we REALLY need to replace old Mac's with new, un-upgradable, smaller screened, under-connected, non-standard headphone jack, silver computers that might have your soldered-in-place video board or soldered-in-place RAM become defective due to lack of quality control?

Hmmm...

Makes the PC world start to look enticing. Apple's lack of up-gradability on the new models is a big turnoff.

... (if enough people start switching, maybe Microsoft would stop dinking around and turn out an easy to use Windows-OS that doesn't change every year or two as well.)

I'm totally happy using my 2009 MacPro (upgraded, loaded up for music production work), a 2011 MacBook Pro (upgraded RAM and SSD, with the video problem totally repaired), and a 2014 iPhone 5 that I bought new and has always worked just fine as a telephone and smartphone.

Non of my Apple products are capable of being upgraded to the 'latest-greatest' Mac OS, but that doesn't really matter to me.

They're great, solid, dependable machines that I know how to maintain and upgrade. Isn't that all any of us really want?

ttf_Driswood

IOS 11

Post by ttf_Driswood »

Quote from: cmillar on Yesterday at 09:58 AMI've been an Apple 'disciple' for about 20 years or more.

But, I'm starting to lose the faith. My brother updated his iPhone 6 to the latest OS, and he's experiencing a drop in battery life use. And, he's had to go through a ton of other problems related to iCloud synching, etc.

Does one REALLY need to be connected to iCloud for all aspects of our life?

Does one REALLY need to upgrade to the latest OSX every 3 months, and then lose time and work waiting for all the software developers to change and conform to Apple's latest changes?

Does one REALLY need to buy a new phone every year?

Do we REALLY need to replace old Mac's with new, un-upgradable, smaller screened, under-connected, non-standard headphone jack, silver computers that might have your soldered-in-place video board or soldered-in-place RAM become defective due to lack of quality control?

Hmmm...

Makes the PC world start to look enticing. Apple's lack of up-gradability on the new models is a big turnoff.

... (if enough people start switching, maybe Microsoft would stop dinking around and turn out an easy to use Windows-OS that doesn't change every year or two as well.)

I'm totally happy using my 2009 MacPro (upgraded, loaded up for music production work), a 2011 MacBook Pro (upgraded RAM and SSD, with the video problem totally repaired), and a 2014 iPhone 5 that I bought new and has always worked just fine as a telephone and smartphone.

Non of my Apple products are capable of being upgraded to the 'latest-greatest' Mac OS, but that doesn't really matter to me.

They're great, solid, dependable machines that I know how to maintain and upgrade. Isn't that all any of us really want?

Cam, I too have been a Mac disciple for years. Got my first Mac in 1989. A Mac Plus with 4 MB of RAM, running system 6, and operating at a blistering 8 MHZ!!

As far as my iPhone, I turned off iCloud syncing. I turned off lots of other services I don't need/use. I don't sync my pictures. Set apps to only use GPS when the app is running.

Still trying to turn off email fetching and have it stay off!

After the first week of indexing, my battery life is back to where it was with IOS 10.3.3

I too have an older Mac. A mid 2011 Mac Mini running El Capitan with 8GB RAM. I use Finale 2014.5, Logic Pro 9, Open Office, Toast Titanium, and Band In A Box 13.

I have no plans to upgrade my OS, or any of my software. It does everything I need it to.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. (But I did "fix" my iPhone and iPad  Image)

Jerry
ttf_SilverBone

IOS 11

Post by ttf_SilverBone »

OS preference is largely a religious argument, and I'm an atheist.

I have an iPhone.  I chose it over an Android phone because it was more intuitively obvious how to use it, and the OS seems more stable.  I am cautious about upgrades (still on iOS 10), and I have all cloud syncing turned off.  I do my backups locally.

My computers are Windows based.  If I were to switch to Mac, I'd have to re-buy a ton of software.  The machine does everything I want, and is stable on Win 7 (can't stand the Win 10 UI).

My partner has a MacAir which I maintain for her.  It's a better machine for her because there are fewer ways she can screw up.

My home server is Linux-based.  It's ultra-reliable - never crashes in years of use.  And it runs server-type things (like a DNS server and mail processing). 

Of course, I'm a geek and don't mind dealing with all the differences in platforms. Image
ttf_BGuttman

IOS 11

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Sidebar for Silverbone:

IOBit (makers of Advanced System Care) has an app that changes a Windows 8 or Windows 10 desktop to look like Windows 7.  It installed itself on my Windows 10 upgrade and I had a devil of a time getting rid of it (I don't mind the Windows 10 interface, although I don't like 8).

Just keep that in mind if you are forced into Windoze 10 (which I think most of us Windoze users will).  I was slow to adopt XP, but I kept using it (and still have it on a couple of boxes).

Now what can I do with an older MacBook that only was able to run OS-9 or a Power PC that runs OS-8?  I'm thinking Gentoo Linux for the Power PC.
ttf_SilverBone

IOS 11

Post by ttf_SilverBone »

Yeah, I know, there are alternative shells for Win 10 to make it more like Win 7.

But I've yet to see an advantage to moving to Win 10.  Someday I'll be forced to when Microsloth stops providing security updates.
ttf_SilverBone

IOS 11

Post by ttf_SilverBone »

Yeah, I know, there are alternative shells for Win 10 to make it more like Win 7.

But I've yet to see an advantage to moving to Win 10.  Someday I'll be forced to when Microsloth stops providing security updates.

Return to “Technology”