Method for making sound files available to others

ttf_Graham Martin

Post by ttf_Graham Martin »

I am an avid Band-in-a-Box user because it is the best rhythm section to practice with at home. I also use it for producing lead sheets and small band arrangements. It is easy to distribute the lead sheets as PDFs because these files are quite small.

When it comes to distributing sound files to other band members, in the past I have distributed them by email using the standard Band-in-a-Box files = .MGU. These are quite small but the person at the other end also must also own Band-in-a-Box.

Recently I have tried to distribute practice files to other musicians with whom I play, but who do not own Band-in-a-Box, using .wma files. These can be played on their Windows Media Player, Groove Music and probably other players. This was successful but the problem with this is that the files are huge, 16Mb etc., and sometimes just too big for email, especially if you try to send more than one.

I have noticed that when you try to send an email with a too big attachment, you get a message suggesting you should use a third-party website that others can access. So, my question is, What is the best place to put a sound file (.wav, .wma, .m4a, .mp3, .mp4) so that others can access and download it? Preferably for free.
ttf_Burgerbob

Post by ttf_Burgerbob »

Google Drive (free with your google account) or Dropbox are both good choices. I would choose Google Drive just because the size and sharing options are a little easier.
ttf_Geezerhorn

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Quote from: Graham Martin on Jan 07, 2018, 02:34PMI am an avid Band-in-a-Box user because it is the best rhythm section to practice with at home. I also use it for producing lead sheets and small band arrangements. It is easy to distribute the lead sheets as PDFs because these files are quite small.

When it comes to distributing sound files to other band members, in the past I have distributed them by email using the standard Band-in-a-Box files = .MGU. These are quite small but the person at the other end also must also own Band-in-a-Box.

Recently I have tried to distribute practice files to other musicians with whom I play, but who do not own Band-in-a-Box, using .wma files. These can be played on their Windows Media Player, Groove Music and probably other players. This was successful but the problem with this is that the files are huge, 16Mb etc., and sometimes just too big for email, especially if you try to send more than one.

I have noticed that when you try to send an email with a too big attachment, you get a message suggesting you should use a third-party website that others can access. So, my question is, What is the best place to put a sound file (.wav, .wma, .m4a, .mp3, .mp4) so that others can access and download it? Preferably for free.

Just save your file as an MP3 file and send it. I have never had an email with an MP3 file bounce.

Otherwise, yeah. Google or SoundCloud are both good.

...Geezer
ttf_SilverBone

Post by ttf_SilverBone »

Another vote for mp3.  The lossy format will make no difference in your application.

Another free website for transfers is DropBox.  I use DropBox and GoogleDrive.

Note: I would not transfer anything including sensitive information through a file sharing service unless it was encrypted.
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Storing sensitive information anywhere should require caution, although the cloud storage solutions (Google Drive, Dropbox, Box, Sugarsync, etc.) are a lot more secure than e-mail is.  Never send anything over e-mail that you don't mind being public information basically.  It isn't possible to transmit information from the major cloud storage solutions other than through an encrypted channel, but there are still weak links. E.g. Your Google Drive is linked to your e-mail address and if you use that in public hotspots, an attacker would have the same authentication as for the files in the cloud storage. 

Google can be quite secure f you have 2FA enabled and there is integration with Google Drive with their webmail client, Gmail.  Makes sharing files very simple.  And their pricing is quite reasonable. $10/TB or free if you happen to be able to get Google Fiber.
ttf_Geezerhorn

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Quote from: Matt K on Jan 07, 2018, 07:02PMStoring sensitive information anywhere should require caution, although the cloud storage solutions (Google Drive, Dropbox, Box, Sugarsync, etc.) are a lot more secure than e-mail is.  Never send anything over e-mail that you don't mind being public information basically.  It isn't possible to transmit information from the major cloud storage solutions other than through an encrypted channel, but there are still weak links. E.g. Your Google Drive is linked to your e-mail address and if you use that in public hotspots, an attacker would have the same authentication as for the files in the cloud storage. 

Google can be quite secure f you have 2FA enabled and there is integration with Google Drive with their webmail client, Gmail.  Makes sharing files very simple.  And their pricing is quite reasonable. $10/TB or free if you happen to be able to get Google Fiber.

Lol. I believe Graham is inquiring about BiaB music file sharing. I don't think they need military-grade encryption to be safe from prying eyes - unless his original compositions have world-class value. Maybe they do!  Image

...Geezer
ttf_boneagain

Post by ttf_boneagain »

Quote from: Geezerhorn on Jan 08, 2018, 04:51AMLol. I believe Graham is inquiring about BiaB music file sharing. I don't think they need military-grade encryption to be safe from prying eyes - unless his original compositions have world-class value. Maybe they do!  Image

...Geezer

Matt is not talking about military-grade encryption. He is talking about pretty much run of the mill self-protection of privacy.  Once a service like Google Drive or Dropbox is setup for one thing it is just a matter of time before it is used for another.  So, what starts off as music sharing that may or may not have copyright concerns to warrant some security can quickly cascade into sharing files with, say, the executor specified in a will.  The EASIEST time to set up reasonable privacy protections is before you start using it.

So, LOL all you want Geezer.  Matt did Graham a service with an excellent post.
ttf_Geezerhorn

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Quote from: boneagain on Jan 08, 2018, 05:36AMMatt is not talking about military-grade encryption. He is talking about pretty much run of the mill self-protection of privacy.  Once a service like Google Drive or Dropbox is setup for one thing it is just a matter of time before it is used for another.  So, what starts off as music sharing that may or may not have copyright concerns to warrant some security can quickly cascade into sharing files with, say, the executor specified in a will.  The EASIEST time to set up reasonable privacy protections is before you start using it.

So, LOL all you want Geezer.  Matt did Graham a service with an excellent post.

I don't argue your point, but Graham specifically asked about music file sharing. Forumites call me to task if I digress.

Perhaps another thread about document sharing in general would benefit this Forum, Boneagain. But it's Graham's thread, so he probably should get to decide what other information he wants to learn.

...Geezer
ttf_timothy42b

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

I record our local concerts on an H2, convert to mp3 in Audacity, and store on box.net. 

That way I can share one piece or an entire folder by sending a link to a band member. 

Without the link others can't get to it. 

ttf_Geezerhorn

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Quote from: timothy42b on Jan 08, 2018, 06:28AMI record our local concerts on an H2, convert to mp3 in Audacity, and store on box.net. 

That way I can share one piece or an entire folder by sending a link to a band member. 

Without the link others can't get to it. 

I share music files and videos of music on FB all the time. But I make those posts for "friends" only, not "public" - in case other FB friends  of mine don't want their image in the video made public. But then again, they can turn around and share it on their FB account and make it public if they want. So, I do agree that it can be a slippery slope.

And OBTW, the old-school way of zipping a bundle of mp3 files for emailing can still work nicely, provided the files aren't too large and the recipient's email provider isn't too stingy!

...Geezer
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

My comment was admittedly a little tangential but I just wanted to clarify that e-amil wasn't secure (and certainly less so than the file sharing cloud services) because the comment before mine could have been misconstrued thusly. E-mail isn't safe! Sorry for derail.  Image
ttf_Geezerhorn

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Quote from: Matt K on Jan 08, 2018, 07:17AMMy comment was admittedly a little tangential but I just wanted to clarify that e-amil wasn't secure (and certainly less so than the file sharing cloud services) because the comment before mine could have been misconstrued thusly. E-mail isn't safe! Sorry for derail.  Image

I couldn't resist poking at your post a little, Matt. Sorry. It's all good.

...Geezer
ttf_robcat2075

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

The dropbox option has failed frequently for me.

I'll post the "public link" and yet people say they cannont access the file. I think they must be crazy so i test the link myself and, yup, it doesn't work anymore.

Today it might work, but tomorrow?

ttf_Geezerhorn

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Quote from: robcat2075 on Jan 08, 2018, 09:20AMThe dropbox option has failed frequently for me.

I'll post the "public link" and yet people say they cannont access the file. I think they must be crazy so i test the link myself and, yup, it doesn't work anymore.

Today it might work, but tomorrow?

And doesn't one have to have a DB account to access others' files?

...Geezer
ttf_robcat2075

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

Quote from: Geezerhorn on Jan 08, 2018, 09:24AMAnd doesn't one have to have a DB account to access others' files?

...Geezer

It claims all anyone needs is the link.

Here's an example...

Go to my page of Popper play-alongs

http://tromboneforum.org/index.php/topic,83523.0.html

and try to download the "download this zip" file

You will get a file but it won't be the zip.

It used to work. It no longer does

ttf_Geezerhorn

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

"File not found

Sorry, that file doesn’t live here anymore. It might have been moved or made private."

Image  I guess DB isn't too reliable.

...Geezer

ttf_boneagain

Post by ttf_boneagain »

Quote from: robcat2075 on Jan 08, 2018, 09:39AMIt claims all anyone needs is the link.

Here's an example...

Go to my page of Popper play-alongs

http://tromboneforum.org/index.php/topic,83523.0.html

and try to download the "download this zip" file

You will get a file but it won't be the zip.

It used to work. It no longer does

Dropbox recently sent out a bunch of notices about the way it handles this kind of link.  Did you see those and make the needed adjustments?  I admit I have NOT done any public shares since those changes....
ttf_robcat2075

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

Quote from: boneagain on Jan 08, 2018, 10:03AMDropbox recently sent out a bunch of notices about the way it handles this kind of link.  Did you see those and make the needed adjustments?  I admit I have NOT done any public shares since those changes....

No. You are the first I've heard of it.  Where can I find the notice?

But If I need to change the link on trombone forum, that would be hopeless since we can't edit old posts.
ttf_timothy42b

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

I gave up on photobucket after they changed their setup.  Imgur is much better, and gives you the format to embed links on different platforms. 

I had dropbox but they needed to load something on my PC. 
ttf_Todd Jonz

Post by ttf_Todd Jonz »

robcat2075 writes:

> > Dropbox recently sent out a bunch of notices about
> > the way it handles this kind of link.
>
> Where can I find the notice?

Check out the page that discusses important changes to the Dropbox public folder.

> If I need to change the link on trombone forum, that
> would be hopeless since we can't edit old posts.

A moderator will update the link in the old post for you upon request.

ttf_boneagain

Post by ttf_boneagain »

Quote from: Todd Jonz on Jan 08, 2018, 03:30PMrobcat2075 writes:

> > Dropbox recently sent out a bunch of notices about
> > the way it handles this kind of link.
>
> Where can I find the notice?

Check out the page that discusses important changes to the Dropbox public folder.

> If I need to change the link on trombone forum, that
> would be hopeless since we can't edit old posts.

A moderator will update the old post for you upon request.

Thanks Todd! I deleted the email on that long ago, so was scratching my head how to reply to Rob.
ttf_Graham Martin

Thanks everyone. It looks like I will l have to give Dropbox a try.

Of course, I have previously used another method on this forum with SoundCloud, and you can set it up with a secret link. The file can be created directly out of the Band-in-a-Box program. I am just not sure if members here have ever been able to access my files on SoundCloud and I would like to try providing a secret link and seeing if you can indeed connect to my file "All By Myself" (ignore the typo in the link), which is one of the ones I prepared for practice purposes with a new band I play with. Here is the link:

http://soundcloud.com/grah-bonejazz/all-by-meyself/s-uxHw5

Of course, it will not be very secret putting it up here. That is not important. It is just to check that the file can be accessed and played using the link. Can it?

Thanks for your test.
ttf_robcat2075

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

Quote from: Graham Martin on Jan 08, 2018, 08:07PM

http://soundcloud.com/grah-bonejazz/all-by-meyself/s-uxHw5

Of course, it will not be very secret putting it up here. That is not important. It is just to check that the file can be accessed and played using the link. Can it?

I was able to play it.

Note that Soundcloud is uncertain financially. It may continue to be there but it's running out of money.

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Dropbox has worked fine for a band that I play with.

The whole repertoir is in Dropbox, one folder with sheets in PDF-format (and subfolders pr tune) and one folder with audiofiles in MP3-format (and subforlders per tune).
Toplevel contains spreadsheets with set-lists for practice sessions, gigs etc.

The band leader uploads and adjusts the structure regularly as new tunes are added/removed.

You can have 15 GB stored in Dropbox before you have to pay anything so I think all band members have their account.

ttf_Geezerhorn

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Got it through SoundCloud.

...Geezer
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

Soundcloud and Android don't seem to mix
ttf_Geezerhorn

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

My laptop connected okay. But I think Harrison hit on something. There may be some band-mates who only use an Android and some who WILL NOT connect to the Internet on any device, no matter what; same with FaceBook. I was in one band where if you didn't connect with FB, you could not be in the band.

Hope it all works out!

...Geezer
ttf_Graham Martin

Quote from: Bard on Jan 09, 2018, 04:46AMDropbox has worked fine for a band that I play with.

The whole repertoir is in Dropbox, one folder with sheets in PDF-format (and subfolders pr tune) and one folder with audiofiles in MP3-format (and subforlders per tune).
Toplevel contains spreadsheets with set-lists for practice sessions, gigs etc.

The band leader uploads and adjusts the structure regularly as new tunes are added/removed.

You can have 15 GB stored in Dropbox before you have to pay anything so I think all band members have their account.

This is exactly where I am headed. So it does seem that Dropbox is the answer.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Correction: it seems that you can have only 2 GB of data in Dropbox without paying and not 15 GB as I stated above. It is google that have 15 GB for free.

But still - 2 GB gives you room for lots of mp3 files and PDFs. And it has so far worked well for our band with Dropbox.
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Quote from: Bard on Jan 09, 2018, 02:48PMCorrection: it seems that you can have only 2 GB of data in Dropbox without paying and not 15 GB as I stated above. It is google that have 15 GB for free.

But still - 2 GB gives you room for lots of mp3 files and PDFs. And it has so far worked well for our band with Dropbox.

If you've been a membe rfor awhile they occasionally have challenges (for which the answers are invariably on the internet if you wait a few hours) and those grant you additional storage space.  You can also refer friends and get .5GB up to 15GB I believe, which is probably where that number is from. I may or may not know someone who sat at their internship on a slow day and created 29 e-mail addresses to get to the 15GB cap a few years ago.  Image
ttf_boneagain

Post by ttf_boneagain »

Quote from: Bard on Jan 09, 2018, 02:48PMCorrection: it seems that you can have only 2 GB of data in Dropbox without paying and not 15 GB as I stated above. It is google that have 15 GB for free.

Do they still add GB if you invite others and the join Dropbox?
We used this in a big band so each member had enough room to pull down one WAV file of a full rehearsal while I ended up with enough to store several weeks of rehearsals online...
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Quote from: boneagain on Jan 09, 2018, 06:14PMDo they still add GB if you invite others and the join Dropbox?
We used this in a big band so each member had enough room to pull down one WAV file of a full rehearsal while I ended up with enough to store several weeks of rehearsals online...

Not sure.  They did for a very long time and their business model is market penetration. (only like 6% of customers pay). That said, the $10/month for a terabyte is pretty good. I prefer google drive because they have no file size limit so you can store basically anything there.
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Quote from: boneagain on Jan 09, 2018, 06:14PMDo they still add GB if you invite others and the join Dropbox?

Not sure.  They did for a very long time and their business model is market penetration. (only like 6% of customers pay). That said, the $10/month for a terabyte is pretty good. I prefer google drive because they have no file size limit so you can store basically anything there.

Return to “Technology”