Microsoft Office subscription

ttf_Whitbey

Post by ttf_Whitbey »

I have or had a Microsoft Office subscription for my tablet. It expired.
It seems that when I try to renew at some step the system just fails to move forward, errors or does nothing. Been trying for a few days.
Even when I try to log in to the hotmail account it locks up or goes blank.
I seen a phone number but the screen locked up before I could write it down.
Any ideas?
I am about ready for open office.
ttf_bonenick

Post by ttf_bonenick »

What subscription? If it is open office. Update? Just go on http://www.openoffice.org and update/reinstall your software.
ttf_MikeBMiller

Post by ttf_MikeBMiller »

Do you have a valid Microsoft account and do you know the password for it? For better or worse, you pretty much can't buy or use a MS product these days without a Microsoft account. Go to www.office.com/myaccount and sign in. From there, you can manage your installs and so forth. Office 365 is a good product and a good deal if you have it on the max 5 devices. It works out to $2 per device per month.
ttf_bonenick

Post by ttf_bonenick »

I assumed that you used MS Windows and Mike - that it is Android. What is it?
ttf_MikeBMiller

Post by ttf_MikeBMiller »

I have not bothered to try to put office 365 on an Android tablet or ipad, as typing with my thumbs is not my best skill. But it is great on a PC. With the family plan, you can install on 5 devices for $10 a month.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

OpenOffice and LibreOffice are free... as in freedom. http://www.fsf.org/
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Call MS. They're actually very helpful with this sort of thing. They'll probably be able to renew over the phone in something like 5 minutes total.
ttf_Graham Martin

Post by ttf_Graham Martin »

The 'new look' Microsoft is a complete rort. Also their new programmers have no idea why it was that so many of us stayed with Microsoft for so many years. Now there is no reason to use Microsoft and one might as well go completely Mac.

Plus Windows 10 and Office have so many bugs, I can't stand to use them anymore. And their support - in Australia's case from Asia - is totally hopeless, with operators who know less than I do.

The new Microsoft programs and way of doing business will only succeed in killing off Microsoft completely, especially in business.
ttf_MrPillow

Post by ttf_MrPillow »

Either give MS a call like Matt suggested or hop on the online chat support. I've had generally good luck in the few instances that I needed to contact them.

Put me on the list of people who use Windows 10, MS Office, OneDrive, etc. without problem and across Windows/Mac platforms.
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

The bug you're having is probably a hardware issue, which is the responsibility of the hardware manufacturer. Literally the only bug I've ran into with Win10 (and I've been running it since the beta)... is when I installed win10 on a Dell Optiplex 160... but I'm actually kind of surprised that even installed. It was a mid-high tiered corporate desktop machine from 2005 and had like 4GB of RAM. Basically the hardware drivers didn't exist for it; that isn't a MS problem, its Dell's problem. And really, I wouldn't expect them to be writing drivers for a machine over a decade old...

I've used a Linux, Windows, and Mac machine at various times in the last 15 years... I used to exclusively run Libre Office and other FLOSS applications for a period of time as well.  Win10 and the Office 365 lineup has completely converted me. I'm running Windows 10 on everything now except two of my home servers. The only other hitch I've had is that I forgot my password to my MS account a few weeks ago and had to reset it to install the suite on my 5th machine.  If you have a machine that's actively supported by its manufacturer, everything just works. 
ttf_Whitbey

Post by ttf_Whitbey »

Tried again today. Work the first time. i guess all those windows that flashed quicker then I like to read about it is us not you might have been right.

Now, I wonder if I want the subscription on my laptop for the newer version or do I not want to mess with something that works?
ttf_bonenick

Post by ttf_bonenick »

Windows always goes the same way - release version is a cripple, with time and updates it gets better. By the time you and they figured it out, they want to replace it with a newer version  Image
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: Whitbey on Mar 22, 2017, 07:15AM...
Now, I wonder if I want the subscription on my laptop for the newer version or do I not want to mess with something that works?

I have Office XP, Office 2007, and Office 2010 (all Pro versions -- I use Access).  I was even able to download a supplemental program to allow XP to read the newer file format.  I don't like having to pay for Office in full every year as a license fee.  They all work and do what I need to do with them.

I also found that Apache Open Office has a few features I like better than Microshaft.  Only good thing I can say about MS is that you can write useful macros in Visual Basic (but I haven't used that feature in years).
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: Whitbey on Mar 22, 2017, 07:15AM...

I have Office XP, Office 2007, and Office 2010 (all Pro versions -- I use Access).  I was even able to download a supplemental program to allow XP to read the newer file format.  I don't like having to pay for Office in full every year as a license fee.  They all work and do what I need to do with them.

I also found that Apache Open Office has a few features I like better than Microshaft.  Only good thing I can say about MS is that you can write useful macros in Visual Basic (but I haven't used that feature in years).

Return to “Technology”