New Forum Members!

ttf_RedHotMama

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_RedHotMama »

If you are new to the The Trombone Forum, welcome! Image

This topic is for new members to introduce themselves. Please tell us about yourself, your instrument and your musical interests. And anything else! Image
ttf_RedHotMama

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_RedHotMama »

To start things off, here's a message that a new member posted a couple of days ago in Forum Suggestions:

NIUbone19

I'm a new member, so let me start and introduce myself. My name is Brett Marcum, I am a student at Northern Illinois University in the bone studio. I am in the NIU Jazz Ensemble, you may have heard of us. I also play in the Wind Ensemble and sometimes sub in the Philharmonic Orchestra.
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

i am kind of new and there are alot here who i have yet to meet. so guess i tell you all alittle about me. I am a bass trombone player who is looking for work so that i can buy a bass trombone(i haven't really played since last spring and i really miss it). i will be starting college in the fall at a community school and then i plan to transfer to a bigger school and go for a degree in music education.
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

i'm not really new, but it's been a while since i've posted regularly, i guess. Apparently, people have been talking about me, though, long before I joined. http://forum.trombone.org/viewtopic.php?t=2954&start=0

That was a little weird. But cool. Hi, Brian and Brandon, if you're still around.

Anyway, I'm Lauren, I graduated in May from UW Madison with my Bachelor's in Music Performance, I mostly play tenor but dabble in bass and mandolin. I'm waiting to hear from one more school about graduate work (McGill), and if they say no (as everyone else has), then I will be getting a teaching job in the Dallas area. Or moving to New York, randomly. I haven't decided yet.

I need a job now, because I'm broke. If anyone is in southern CA and wants to play duets or give me gigs, I'm your woman.

Also, Noakley-hurray for Futurama avatars!
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Well, are you cute or not?  Image  Image

(duly noting feminist leanings of recent posts, dons asbestos undies....)
ttf_BFW

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_BFW »

Quote from: "Valkyrie"Also, Noakley-hurray for Futurama avatars!

Good news, everyone!  Another Futurama fan!!!
ttf_Valkyrie

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_Valkyrie »

Quote from: "bickle"Well, are you cute or not?  Image  Image

Come now, I'm perfectly harmless. Usually.

ahem:
QuoteAmazon: "Here live vengeful all-knowing leader. She decide mans fates."
Fry: "Is she hot?"
Amazon: "That not important. She all-knowing"
Fry: "In other words: No." *club smack* "Oww!"

ttf_Noakley

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_Noakley »

Quote from: "Valkyrie"Also, Noakley-hurray for Futurama avatars!

ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: "Valkyrie"Quote from: "bickle"Well, are you cute or not?  Image  Image

Come now, I'm perfectly harmless. Usually.

ahem:
QuoteAmazon: "Here live vengeful all-knowing leader. She decide mans fates."
Fry: "Is she hot?"
Amazon: "That not important. She all-knowing"
Fry: "In other words: No." *club smack* "Oww!"

That was one of the funniest ones. Image

I'm still realatively new. But, everyone knows me. In the way of formal intro:

Ian, call me Ian,
trombonist,
proud of it,
all around nice guy.  Image
Been playing for 7 months, though. That's what you get when you waste 4 years of middle school playing the flute... Image
And that's about it.
Good.
Got it?
Great!  Image
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hi, I'm Stephen and I've been here for 4 weeks now, so not really "new," but just thought I would introduce myself to y'all.  I was born in Missouri (yes, I am a hillbilly and so are my parents Image ) and I just moved to Miami, FL so hlo' everyone.
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Contrary to my memeber status I would consider myself new.  Or well, I have never introduced myself...  But am too lazy, so read my profile I wrote for my site...

Brandon James Natelli is the founder and leader of Bulwark Bones.  A native of Colorado Springs he has always had an intense interest in the trombone.  Recently, upon founding of Bulwark, Brandon has decided to persue a career in music performance.  He hopes to attend Curtis Institute of Music.  Curently Brandon is studying with Thomas Stark and Jeremy Van Hoy.  Brandon is a member of the Colorado Springs Youth Symphony, Rampart High School Wind Ensemble, Rampart High School Jazz Ensemble, Rampart Regiment, and the Mac McNulty Orchestra.  Brandon has recieved superior ratings (all 1s) at all solo competitions attended and superior ratings (1s and 2s) at all ensemble competitions.

ttf_Precious

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_Precious »

Well, here is my intro of sorts...(beware...its long)

I'm 27, married with two kids, and stuck in Kansas (lived here all my life and hate it...I can't wait until my husband gets stationed somewhere else...probably another year here)

I started my musical endeavors at the age of 4, when I started playing the piano...when I was 9 I picked up the violin for a year before band started.  When I was 10, band was an option for kids in my school, and being the chicken that I was, I told the director I wanted to play flute (heaven forbid I was different than the other girls and told them that I wanted to play the trombone).  Fast forward another 4 years and find me in highschool.  I finally got fed up to the proverbial "here" with the flute, and told my director that I wanted to take trombone lessons and switch horns.  Went home to my parents and threw a class A fit until they decided that they would pay for lessons.  I was allowed to play my dad's old horn, an Olds Special.  It wasn't the prettiest horn to look at, but it wasn't dinged up and the slide was fast.  

I played my behind off and 6 months after starting lessons, I took 5th chair (out of 10) in my highschool band.  I worked harder, and 3 months after placing with the band, I took a solo to regionals.  I didn't do the best, but walked out with a 2, and the band director was very impressed...considering 9 months earlier I could barely blow a note.  The next two years I sat 3rd chair (more by choice than anything) and played the bass bone.  I fell in love with the bass...and have yet to save up the money for one.  I went to college, and played in their "not very good band" since I had missed out on the fall semester and couldn't get into the good band until the following year.  I didn't mind too much, I was still playing.  The next semester I was in the marching band, and couldn't get enough of it.  Life at college being what it was, the only classes I bothered to go to were music ones...and despite all "A" grades in them, it wasn't enough to keep me in school.  So I moved out, got married, and then got divorced (might be TMI right now but it has relevance).  During my divorce I discovered that the soon-to-be-ex was going to fight to get his hands on whatever he could...and I didn't want him to try to get my horn, so it went to stay at my parents house.  It stayed at my parents house until just a few weeks ago.  I spent nearly 7 years not playing.  After a battle over the horn (note: controlling parents), I found another Olds at the local music store, it was reputed to be "not the prettiest we have ever seen" but it was a horn, the price was right, and I had the money.  I also got some solo books, a new mouthpiece, and a new music stand because I was sure that I wasn't going to get the other horn from my parents no matter how hard I tried to reason with them.   A few days later I found out that I had won the "let me have it and play it or you keep it and let it gather dust" argument, and now I have two horns.  A 47 year old Special, and a 30 year old Ambassador. I shined the special up real nice and it absolutley sparkles now, I've never seen it so clean.  The contrast between the silver flare and the gold bell is very obvious.  I'll try to get pics taken within the near future if you really want to see them.  Until I found this board I've never seen another two tone bell...and definatley haven't seen another Olds with one.  (If you have an Olds with a two tone bell, I'd love to see pics!!)

I'm working slowly on getting my chops back in proper order, and hopefully in the nearish future I'll be joining up with the city band.  They aren't the best...but hey, I'd be playing right??  Image

Ok, there is my long winded intro...thanks for reading this far!

Regards,
Precious
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Im a senior in high school played bassoon freshman year but our director at the time said he need me on trombone so i learned the trombone.  Im currently have a playing job at longbeach state and the best part is that it is also a pay job.  I play on a P.O.S.  Getzen that doesnt sound as good as I want, But hey i play in the pep band so it works.  I Joined a few days ago and have fell in love with this site.
ttf_Stephen Hoffman

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_Stephen Hoffman »

Quote from: "egocentricgenuis"Im a senior in high school played bassoon freshman year but our director at the time said he need me on trombone so i learned the trombone.  Im currently have a playing job at longbeach state and the best part is that it is also a pay job.  I play on a P.O.S.  Getzen that doesnt sound as good as I want, But hey i play in the pep band so it works.  I Joined a few days ago and have fell in love with this site.
Really wonderful isn't it Image
ttf_Adurobone

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_Adurobone »

Oh no, where are my manners?

Welcome, young and old, to theeeeee gah-ratest show on this side of the moon, that right, a-step right up!

Welcome folks, here's a new world for you.
Enjoy.
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hey everyone!  No, I am not new, but I just wanted introduce myself as well.  I am a female bass trombonist.  This year (my first chance to audition) I was named a Texas All Stater.
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I'm semi-new, kind of.  I've also never introduced myself so I figured this would be a fun thing to do.

My name is Deborah Clise, I'm 16, I've been playing the trombone for about 9 years, and I live in the great state of New Mexico (the land of enchantment).  My sophmore year I was associate principal trombonist of the Albuquerque Youth Symphony, 5th in state, and 12th in Jazz All-State.  My junior year has seen me as principal trombonist of the Albuquerque Youth Symphony, principal trombonist in state (and city), and 10th in Jazz All-State.  Next year I hope to make a higher jazz all-state seating, and keep all my other placements, as well as apply to many top end colleges/ conservatories such as Curtis, Oberlin, and San Francisco.  This summer I will be playing in Carnegie Hall and working two full time jobs.  I also hope to graduate in May of 2005.   Image
ttf_Stephen Hoffman

New Forum Members!

Quote from: "Deborah_Clise"I'm semi-new, kind of.  I've also never introduced myself so I figured this would be a fun thing to do.

My name is Deborah Clise, I'm 16, I've been playing the trombone for about 9 years, and I live in the great state of New Mexico (the land of enchantment).  My sophmore year I was associate principal trombonist of the Albuquerque Youth Symphony, 5th in state, and 12th in Jazz All-State.  My junior year has seen me as principal trombonist of the Albuquerque Youth Symphony, principal trombonist in state (and city), and 10th in Jazz All-State.  Next year I hope to make a higher jazz all-state seating, and keep all my other placements, as well as apply to many top end colleges/ conservatories such as Curtis, Oberlin, and San Francisco.  This summer I will be playing in Carnegie Hall and working two full time jobs.  I also hope to graduate in May of 2005.   Image
My congratulations on your many acclaimations. Only 1 more year though, because everyone knows that once you have done something for 10 years you can be considered an expert on that subject (not yet a master, but still an expert) Image
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Well, heck, I didn't know that! I'm a trombone expert twice over! Time to go start warping the minds of the next generation!
ttf_Adurobone

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_Adurobone »

Quote from: "bickle"Well, heck, I didn't know that! I'm a trombone expert twice over! Time to go start warping the minds of the next generation!

Too late. Hip hop got to 'em first...
ttf_Stephen Hoffman

New Forum Members!

Quote from: "bickle"Well, heck, I didn't know that! I'm a trombone expert twice over! Time to go start warping the minds of the next generation!
Uh-oh... dont think that I should have let that slip.
ttf_Valkyrie

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_Valkyrie »

Off topic, but Look! I'm no longer a new member. I contribute! I am a contributing member of society (nevermind what society)

Oh, Ive never been so proud of myself. And all that time I could be practicing...
ttf_Stephen Hoffman

New Forum Members!

Quote from: "Valkyrie"Oh, Ive never been so proud of myself. And all that time I could be practicing...
Pah, practicing, right. Image
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: "StevesBones"Quote from: "Valkyrie"Oh, Ive never been so proud of myself. And all that time I could be practicing...

ttf_Adurobone

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_Adurobone »

Quote from: "labrat"Quote from: "StevesBones"Quote from: "Valkyrie"Oh, Ive never been so proud of myself. And all that time I could be practicing...

And all that time you could be working, rat.
 Image  Image
ttf_Valkyrie

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_Valkyrie »

I figure, all the good stuff I learn here on the forum is just as helpful as that extra hour of practicing would have been. Sometimes, it's all mental.

Still though, I'm being downright lazy when it comes to trombone. I think it has something to do with having spectacularily failed to get into grad school (although I'm still waiting to hear from McGill...) and being a little bummed out.
ttf_Stephen Hoffman

New Forum Members!

Quote from: "Valkyrie"I figure, all the good stuff I learn here on the forum is just as helpful as that extra hour of practicing would have been. Sometimes, it's all mental.

Still though, I'm being downright lazy when it comes to trombone. I think it has something to do with having spectacularily failed to get into grad school (although I'm still waiting to hear from McGill...) and being a little bummed out.
That actually is probably true.  I get so little actual practice done in an hour (because of my little brother Image ) that this is probably more beneficial Image
(in the short run at least)
ttf_Noakley

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_Noakley »

i know this is off topic but i agree with you guy's i am getting alot from these forum and since i dont have a horn i dont feel to bad about using the time i spend here for this instead of practicing but one i get a horn i wont be on here as much  Image  but i'll have a horn Image
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I think Noakley's got the best excuse for not practicing I've heard yet.......
ttf_Stephen Hoffman

New Forum Members!

Quote from: "Noakley"i know this is off topic but i agree with you guy's i am getting alot from these forum and since i dont have a horn i dont feel to bad about using the time i spend here for this instead of practicing but one i get a horn i wont be on here as much  Image  but i'll have a horn Image
 Image Why dont you have a trombone?  Is it in the shop? Image
ttf_RedHotMama

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_RedHotMama »

Er.... guys....

I started this topic for new members to introduce themselves....
ttf_tbone62

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_tbone62 »

Quote from: "RedHotMama"Er.... guys....

I started this topic for new members to introduce themselves....

We do seem to jump off on a tangent rather easily at times, don't we?  Image

Perhaps we should let new folks introduce themselves here, and then have a separate    "Getting to Know You"  Image section immediately following where we can grill 'em with questions and hop off on as many tangents as we want!  Image  Image  

Just kidding, that's what Chit-Chat is for, but....could be fun!!

By the way, I think this section is a good idea, RHM!
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

haha I'm not new either, but I'll introduce myself anyways. My name is Laci LeBlanc, I live in Spring, TX. I had always been interested in playing a musical instrument since I was little. And finally in 5th grade I got my chance. I had wanted to play the trombone cuz um, cuz I seen it on the movie "Air Bud". When I seen it I was like, "yeh that's the instrument I wanna play". So it just kinda stuck with me for years. Well, my 5th grade year I didn't do so great. I wasn't the worst trombone player, but I wasn't the best. It was hard to tell since we didn't have chair tests. I wasn't good at all, yet I thought I was the best. So then when I went on to 6th grade I moved to Texas (where they start band in 6th grade). So I was a little ahead, but not by much. I didn't want to be stuck in beginner band again, so I tried out for one of the advanced bands. Well I bearily made it out of beginning band. I got last chair last band. But throughout the year I worked myself to the top and got first chair and an outstanding player award.
In 7th grade I was at the bottom again, competeing with several 8th graders. That year I made 6th chair 2nd(Symphonic) band and 6th chair Philharmonic(2nd) orchestra. After a lot of practicing and trouble, I finally made myself to the top again. (Only I was not treated that way Image )

This year, now that I'm in 8th grade I have always been first chair and I made 4th chair 1st band (Wind Ensemble) and 4th chair Symphony (1st) orchestra. I should have done better though. I really should have been first or second. But as long as you're in the top 5, its really hard to tell whos the best. So now my plans for next year are to make all-state and do decently.  

bassbonechick1 what high school do you go to? I might know what high school that is. plus i'm curious Image
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I'm not bassbonechick1 but I am a chick that plays bass bone. I go to Goddard, HS in Goddard, KS. We've  been down that way for some marching band contests, have you heard of us? Goddard Lions..........?
Nice to meet you!!! Image
Oh yeah, I'm Shanda Wheeler and a freshmen.
ttf_SilverPenguin

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_SilverPenguin »

New member here... my name's John, I'm from Youngstown State University where I'm a junior, in a little bit over a week I'll turn 21, and I'm a music performance major on, of all things, the trombone.

I currently play on a Conn 88H-SGX-CL, hence the Silver; my university's mascot is Pete the Penguin, hence the Penguin.  However, the first part of the name probably won't be applicable for too long because I'm hoping to drive down to Massachusetts and purchase one of those custom horn thingies before a long while passes.  Image
ttf_Valkyrie

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_Valkyrie »

welcome! and yet another futurama avatar! huzzah!
ttf_Noakley

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_Noakley »

Quote from: "StevesBones"
 Image Why dont you have a trombone?  Is it in the shop? Image

No Job = No money = no horn = me not happy
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hi All,
I 've never introduced myself either so here goes.

My name is Matt,  Image I live in Ramsey, MN (dontcha know) with my wife who's a clarinet player/Beginning Band/Middle School band director.  I've been playing for 16 years now and have a B.A. in Music.  I currently play in a community band and generally practice for my own enjoyment.  I play mostly tenor but bring the alto out every once in awhile.
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hi everyone.  I am also a new OTJ Forum member (joined af few months ago).  My name is Ken.  Unlike Laci who is in the 8th grade and who is already playing first chair, I am long since graduated from a PhD program, 55 years old, and I play only from my chair at home.  This is quite a diverse group that meets to discuss musical matters on the Forum which makes the discussion interesting and dynamic.  Besides the trombone I have other bad habits including woodworking and upland game hunting.  My two hunting dogs lay beside my chair when I play, and the young male often sings along for a duet.  I would characterize his style as jazzy, mostly legato, with some stacatto high pitches.  Definitly his own unique style.  Anyway, I am pleased to meet you all, and to learn of your intersting thoughts about music.  Looking forward to getting to know you better.  Ken
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I'm Scott, originally from Peoria, IL...I was a professional musician for  15 years, orchestral, jazz, dance, combos, even country western...you name it , I did it to pay the bills...I burned myself out on a cruise ship at 29, met a girl, got married and sold the horns because we needed the money...15 years later, on a dare, I rented a horn just to see what would happen...3 days later I sounded like something, I got my range back after a week, and endurance back after 2 weeks... To make a long story short, in two weeks I'm quitting my day job and will marketing myself in the area for jazz & society gigs...I don't deserve to be so happy!...I'm not the best & I'm not the worst, but I know the business & I've been assured by 'old pros' in this area that I can make it...We'll see...Wish me luck...
ttf_Adurobone

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_Adurobone »

Quote from: "Scott"I'm Scott, originally from Peoria, IL...I was a professional musician for  15 years, orchestral, jazz, dance, combos, even country western...you name it , I did it to pay the bills...I burned myself out on a cruise ship at 29, met a girl, got married and sold the horns because we needed the money...15 years later, on a dare, I rented a horn just to see what would happen...3 days later I sounded like something, I got my range back after a week, and endurance back after 2 weeks... To make a long story short, in two weeks I'm quitting my day job and will marketing myself in the area for jazz & society gigs...I don't deserve to be so happy!...I'm not the best & I'm not the worst, but I know the business & I've been assured by 'old pros' in this area that I can make it...We'll see...Wish me luck...

YOU ARE NOT!!!
WOW! When did you leave?? I was a Peorian until... Feb. 27!
Small world!
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hey, everyone, I'm Chris.  I'm a sophomore in high school and an aspiring bass bonist.   I hail from a little town called Wilton, Connecticut (home of Kristine Lilly, Scott Sharp, Paul Newman, & Joe Pantoliano).  I started playing trombone in 5th grade on my grandpa's old King Liberty from 1936 (he was in the army band during WWII) and have since become a fairly serious player.  My life goals are either to be a pit orchestra bass trombonist or become general manager of the Yankees, although I'll probably end up working in a cubicle somewhere.  I'm a huge sports fan, mainly of the Yankees and, oddly enough, the Cleveland Browns.  I'm notorious in my school for having a beard since 7th grade (abe/chinstrap thing, actually) and a lot of people call me Couch for wearing a Tim Couch jersey every day for about a year.  As you can probably tell I'm a big fan of both the Canadian Brass and John Belushi.  Did I mention I've been known to watch Seinfeld four times a day?  Well, that about sums it up.

*Go here and sign a petition to make a Deep Space Nine movie!  Click now!
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

New Member Here. Image  Hi, my name is Paul Routledge. I'm from The Pas, Manitoba (or almost the middle of nowhere!) I went to univerisity at Minot State University in Minot, ND. I graduated with a BA in Music 2 years ago. My primary instrument is euphonium though like most euph. players end up doing, I do play trombone on occasion, same with tuba though I don't own a tuba.  Besides doing the been there for the requirements thrown at a music major, I did played euphonium and tuba for brass quintet. Last year I took up the challenge and played tuba parts as written on euphonium which worked out quite nicely.  I played baritone (yes, the real baritone instrument) in The Brass Band of Minot (a British style brass band) for 2 years and euphonium for 3 years.  I do some composing / arranging and played some of my pieces at Minot State and at church.

Currently for employment, I'm a substitute teacher assistant at the middle years schools and a casual custodian; both jobs are on a call in basis aka. I'm looking for full employment and somewhere I can play in a community band, british style brass band. I also play both euphonium and trombone for my church every now and then and a couple of times, I've been to the middle years school to play tuba for their band concerts as well. Its a bit tough staying motivated practicing wise being in a town that doesn't have a band plus $$$ been tight on me so buying new music is a bit of a challenge. I'm confident things will work itself eventually esp. finding full time employment.
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Moldy Crow Wrote:
QuoteMy life goals are either to be a pit orchestra bass trombonist or become general manager of the Yankees, although I'll probably end up working in a cubicle somewhere. I'm a huge sports fan, mainly of the Yankees

EVIL YANKEES!!!!!!!!  Image  Image  Image  Image  Image  Image  Image  Image
ttf_wasabcl11

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_wasabcl11 »

Oh wait, I'm a new member. Well, not really new, but I just starting posting a few weeks ago. I found this forum fun and informative. There are so many proficent trombonists that I can get advice from. About me: I'm a freshman in high school and play lead trombone in the school's second jazz band. That's not too shabby, considering that my high school's jazz band is the best in Connecticut and one of the best in the country. Yeah, our saxaphone section played in the All-State Jazz Ensemble. Image  Image  Image I tried out for regionals this yeay but just missed the cut in both band and jazz band, (I screwed in both auditions - oh well -or maybe that's just an excuse) but with my continuing improvment I'm 90% sure that I'll make some regional ensemble next year. As for my trombone, I play a Bach 36 that I bought this January. I'll finish this post with a quote from my school's band director. "When your music department has a budget of $3 million a year, you can do whatever you want."  Image  Image  Image (And by the way, this is a public school, not an art school) I would now like to  thank all of the exceedingly rich people that live in my town.
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

First post, just joined last week. That should just let me sneak in as a new member Image

I'm almost 40 (no, really!!), and played trombone from 4th grade through first year of college. Still have my horn, a King 2B Liberty, had it since 6th grade. Want to get back to playing again, but life gets in the way! Married, two kids, work full-time as a finance director for a trade association. I'm a CPA, but am not in public practice. If I was, I guess I wouldn't be on the OTJ Forum today! Live in SW Ohio, Hamilton County, exactly one mile from the Ohio-Indiana border.

Wife plays flute and piccolo. I forgave her a long time ago for that mortal sin, but still hassle her about it whenever I get the chance. We met through our mutual interest in marching band in college. I found a topic here about whether marching band is real music or not. I have VERY strong opinions on that subject, but will save them for that thread. Image

Two kids, 10 and 8. My son (the 10 year old) is playing trombone, started last year. Thus, the origin for my "father_and_son" handle. He's playing a beater Selmer horn. It looks absolutely awful. No dents, but nasty looking finish. Sounds OK as student horns go. I found OTJ while doing a Google search on what to look for in a better quality horn. This place has been very helpful in that regard. I've done a few searches on past topics and found some very helpful answers.

I've been searching eBay for horns, and have also followed some of the current threads in the "Instruments" forum here, where you folks are commenting on current auctions. I really wanted to buy that beat up and mangled Getzen for $2,000, but just couldn't when the "Flat Olds" came along at the same time... You people are pretty good with your thoughts on eBay auctions, very entertaining.

Still looking for that replacement horn for my son. I'll keep searching, and if I have a question that I can't get an answer to elsewhere, I'll be sure to post it here. And no, the boy doesn't get to touch *my* horn. I'm more than happy to get him one of equal or better quality, but some things you just can't share...

Tom
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I suppose I still count as a new member....so here goes.

My name is Sean McCarthy and I'm originally from Lewisville, TX.  I'm currently at the end of my freshman year of college and have been playing trombone since 6th grade.  I went to high school at Flower Mound High School, where I was lucky enough to be involved in an amazing band program (if anybody went to Midwest this year, then you heard them).
Now I am at Florida State University pursuing a degree in Trombone Performance.  Let's see, how bout some ensembles?  I play in the Wind Orchestra, the Philharmonia, the trombone choir, Jazz for Dancing, the brass choir, and a jazz group that I started call the Bonetet.  I keep myself busy  Image
I've actually been a member for a while now, but haven't started posting until recently.  And even now, I do a lot more reading than posting, since I only post if I feel I have something worth while to say.  Hopefully I'll get rid of that pesky "new member" in my avatar soon, though!

Oh, and if anyone needs a horn, I'm selling one  Image
ttf_Noakley

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_Noakley »

father_and_son,
 welcome to the forums up until a cupple days ago i was i new user as well
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Well, not being able to resist the temptation anymore, I'm going to introduce myself. I joined a while ago to post a question about problems resulting from mouth surgery (I was freaking out about my wisdom teeth), but didn't start actively posting til a few months ago. Soooo, I suppose I'm new. Ish.

My name is Jessica Wilkerson, and I'm a junior music major at Florida State University. I play in the Wind Orchestra, the University Symphony, and a few ragtag chamber ensembles. Let's see...for a while, I was going to double major, but I got lazy and now I just have two minors. After this semester, I'll have a minor in English and a minor in Russian language.

My goal is to make a living playing trombone...for the first few years, I'm not going to be terribly picky. I'd like to get a decent symphony gig someday and then teach. I love the college atmosphere, and I love teaching.

I'm originally from Martinez, Georgia, which is really just a kissing cousin to Augusta, home of the Masters. Nope, I've never been. Image I went to Evans High School and played in a pretty good band. I love the color pink, in case my name didn't give it away. One day, I want to buy a beat-up horn, strip it, and paint it an obnoxious shade of pink. Maybe with glitter, too. Just because. Heh heh.

Anywho, that's me in three short paragraphs. Yay for the OTJ forums - keeping office workers off-task for years.  Image
ttf_anonymous

New Forum Members!

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I guess you could say that I'm kinda new-ish, well, sorta, but I've never introduced myself.  My name Is Greg Simpson (not related to Bart, Homer, etc.) and I live in Conway, AR (no, I am not a redneck).  I am 14 years old and in the 8th grade.  I play euphonium in concert band and am 1st chair (out of 5, big deal!)  and I play trombone in jazz band and at various churches when needed.

Return to “Chit-Chat”