Bunker 2017

ttf_Peter Eiden

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_Peter Eiden »

Quote from: Steven on Yesterday at 07:49 AMDaughter has fall break this week.  She'd be eager to get home and see her parents right?  Wrong.  She took a bus to Pittsburgh to visit family, a third coast buddy, and see Pittsburgh Symphony play Shostakovich 5.  Priorities.

Yep, that happens!  My daughter goes to school in California, on the trimester calendar, and plays basketball.  Other than a scant week at Christmas, we really don't get any extended time with her until her 2 week Spring Break, which falls between 2nd and 3rd trimester and is after her season.  And this year, she's decided to stay in Pasadena and do some West Coast travelling.  This after staying out there this past summer as well (at least that involved employment and gave me an excuse to go to the ITF!)

ttf_Steven

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_Steven »

Oberlin has a winter term for most of January, so winter break is pretty short.  The winter term project can be most anything, but I don't expect hers to happen here.
ttf_bigbassbone1

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_bigbassbone1 »

Exciting day for me yesterday! Michael Mulcahy cane in to my school where he played in our low brass section to help work on various excerpts. Whilst I studied with him for some time back in Australia, there is always something to take away from his thoughts and playing, he is an endless resource for everything trombone related.
Myself and one of our tenors performed solos for him in front of a small audience afterwards which was also very beneficial.

Immediately after that class I was very fortunate to meet and play for Charlie Vernon for the first time. We played exercises together and talked a lot of trombone which was a real thrill. He makes such a sound.... hearing him up close was fantastic.
 He mentioned to me that he has been designing a signature bass with bach. He told me about what the instrument would be and it sounds like a really great idea. Something a bit different than their current line with more attention to quality control.

Straight after my lesson with Charlie I went over the road to watch Chicago symphony play both Brahms 3 and Brahms 2.

I have been incredibly fortunate to have traveled to a lot of countries and heard many big name orchestras play, but I think I can safely say that was just about the best orchestral performance I've ever seen. What a Sound. I am very glad to have come to America.
ttf_bhcordova

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_bhcordova »

Sad day.  Our school board is trying to force our high school band director to retire so they can get someone who will do more 'razzle dazzle' type stuff.  Looks like military style marching is on its way out in Deep East Texas.   Image Image Image
ttf_BGuttman

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Isn't Razzle-Dazzle what crowds at Football games are looking for?  Sure, military marching is good on Veterans' Day, Memorial Day, and Independence Day (and maybe even Texas Independence Day).
ttf_MrPillow

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_MrPillow »

Military marching has been a big force in East Texas for decades. I marched military all through HS, and many of the other schools at the regional UIL competitions did as well. It was popular up till the 2000s, but seems to have fallen out of favor in the past few years.

ttf_Graham Martin

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_Graham Martin »

Quote from: bhcordova on Nov 09, 2017, 01:13PMSad day.  Our school board is trying to force our high school band director to retire so they can get someone who will do more 'razzle dazzle' type stuff. snip
You mean like this? I don't think Trump will approve, somehow. Image

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbkNKYhC5lQ
ttf_BGuttman

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

This one is kinda old.  I think that's Kim Jung Il.

Meanwhile, I think El Trumpo really likes these kinds of parades; especially if everybody is busy lauding him.
ttf_Ellrod

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

Our 10-year old flatscreen broke down Saturday. SWMBO lasted about 45 minutes before her CNN addiction kicked in. A rough night of Don Lemon withdrawal, followed on Sunday am by orders to get a new tv. So off we went my sons and I to Best Buy.

Things have changed in 10 years. Our old 52” cost about $3600. The new 55” Sony cost $900. (All prices in CDN).

In the course of clearing out the old set, I threw out an old home theatre system, but I wondered if I could salvage the subwoofer to use in my 2-channel stereo system nd its smallish bookshelf speakers. I wasn’t sure how to hook it up but after emailing Linn in Scotland, it turned out to be as simple as hooking up the Linn amp to the sub with an RCA cable. I had lots of those left over.

So, easy, had the parts/cables, and it works great. The holy trinity.

Sounds terrific.

ttf_Steven

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_Steven »

I sang on stage for the first time in ages today.  As much as I enjoy singing, I don't really have time to find additional performance groups.
ttf_Graham Martin

Bunker 2017

It is Christmas Day in Australia already and my best wishes to everyone for a really happy day with family and friends.

ttf_Graham Martin

Bunker 2017

It is New Year's Day in Australia with our celebrations now 10 hours in the past. So, my wishes for everyone to have a great New Year with all your desires coming true!

I would have put this in the new Bunker but it is still under construction, with the Americas New Year still 10 hours away for some time zones.
ttf_badger

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_badger »

Happy New Year Sir!

Cold in West Texas...10 F tonight...securing the critters as we speak.

ttf_BGuttman

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

New Bunker opens when the home of the Forum enters 2018, which is Pacific Standard Time (GMT-8) assuming I can stay up until then (it's 3 AM here).  That's also 8 hours from when I'm posting this.  Fair warning.
ttf_BGuttman

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Midnight here in eastern US.  Happy New Year to all.

Note that Forum New Year is still 3 hours away.
ttf_robcat2075

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

Goodbye 2017.  You won't be missed.
ttf_BGuttman

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Fair Warning!  1 Hour to Closing!

Happy New Year to folks in Mountain Time (Denver, Helena, Cheyenne).
ttf_JohnL

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_JohnL »

Quote from: robcat2075 on Dec 31, 2017, 09:05PMGoodbye 2017.  You won't be missed.Let's just hope that 2018 won't have us looking back fondly on 2017...
ttf_BGuttman

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

This is Last Call.  Please order ypur final drinks.  We close in 1/2 hour!

ttf_robcat2075

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

I have my 25 oz. Chelada. 

Basically, pizza-flavored beer.
ttf_BGuttman

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Fair Warning!  10 Minutes to Closing!
ttf_BGuttman

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

OK gang.  It's closing time.  Everybody out!!!

Hey you -- sleeping in the corner -- get up and get out!  Oh, sorry Richard.  Please get up and leave.  We have to clean the joint up.

The new Bunker is right across the street.  You should be able to stumble there on your own.

Happy New Year to all!
ttf_BGuttman

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

OK gang.  It's closing time.  Everybody out!!!

Hey you -- sleeping in the corner -- get up and get out!  Oh, sorry Richard.  Please get up and leave.  We have to clean the joint up.

The new Bunker is right across the street.  You should be able to stumble there on your own.

Happy New Year to all!

Return to “Chit-Chat”