Bunker 2017

ttf_BGuttman

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Greetings, long-term Bunker residents and new TTF members!

Welcome to the Forum's virtual bar/cafe/restaurant/pub/rec room. You can drop in and discuss anything, topic miscellaneous. If you're happy or infuriated, or have a subject you'd like to air but don't want to start a new topic, or just feel like saying something, post it here! It's a bit like Facebook, but without the ads and games....

This place is called "The Bunker" because here we can hide from the world and escape from reality, just for a little while. Please don't be shy, the Bunker is open to all, no dress code necessary. No dress necessary at all....

We're going in the Wayback Machine to 1912 aboard the RMS Titanic.

We aren't taking halfway measures here.  This is the First Class lounge.  The bar is open for all First Class passengers (including you).  The ship's band plays in a corner.  Popular tunes of the day like "Turkey Trot", "Alexander's Ragtime Band", and a new one, "Everybody Loves A Chicken".  But they won't play "Nearer My God To Thee".  Don't worry, the ship is unsinkable and there are no icebergs in our virtual route.

Happy New Year everybody!
ttf_BGuttman

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Opening in 45 minutes...

Happy New Year to all Europe, Australia/New Zealand, and Asia (and to the 3 or so Forum members in Africa).

Happy New Year to the US and Canada East, Central, and Mountain zones.
ttf_BGuttman

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

And we're open!

** Moves velvet ropes aside **

Happy New Year!
ttf_Graham Martin

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_Graham Martin »

Happy New Year everyone!

I have been watching the World Clock to see when the West Coast went past the end of year marker - some 18 minutes ago.

I was anxious to get in and make sure that no one took my corner seat at the bar.
ttf_BGuttman

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

It has your name on it.  Just don't disturb the sleeping Richard in his Fury Green Thong Image
ttf_badger

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_badger »

Happy New Year!  Image
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

It's a pretty hoity toity bar this year! I feel like there IS a dress code on the Titanic. Wouldn't this place be more suitable for musicians who are not actually playing a gig in the bar?

ttf_MikeBMiller

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_MikeBMiller »

I have been on TTF for 15+ years and never posted in the Bunker before. So now I have.

Random thoughts and observations.

Happy New Year.

It was cool to see the bones get a lot of screen time on the NY Phil Live from Lincoln Center last night. I got to meet Colin Williams and George Curran at STS in 2015. The Atlanta Symphony must be a pretty good training ground as 3 former ASO players are in the NYP brass section now.

Clemson sure beat the snot out of OSU. And FSU beat Michigan, so maybe the Big 10 ain't what it's cracked up to be and the ACC is pretty darn good.

Every time I sell a trombone I end up wishing I still had it at some point. Mostly. Except for that Getzen 1050 with the bad slide. And there was a Conn something or other that I really hated and only kept for a month. If I was a rich guy, I would be dangerous and probably own about 20 horns.

Maybe this is the year I will lost some weight. But probably not.

I don't mind global warming in the winter but I hate it in the summer.

Maybe the Braves won't suck as bad this year as last.

I wish my community band had members that actually practiced their horns. And drummers with at least a small sense of rhythm.

Enough for now. Y'all have a good year!!

ttf_bhcordova

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_bhcordova »

Happy New Years! 
ttf_ISAB

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_ISAB »

Happy New Year!!! Image
ttf_Russ White

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_Russ White »

I hope everyone here has their best year yet in 2017. IT is likely to be a rocky year here in the States. I hope it doesn't upset too many applecarts around the world.
ttf_Steven

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_Steven »

sent my daughter back to school for Winter Term.  We were happy that she was able to carry her trombone onto the plane.
ttf_Ellrod

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

Thongs of Fury.

Can 2017 be weirder, more alternative universe, than 2016?

I guess we'll soon find out.
ttf_bhcordova

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_bhcordova »

One thing I've learned - things can always get worse.
ttf_Ellrod

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

Eagles on this morning's walk.

ttf_MrPillow

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_MrPillow »

That's quite a sight. I consider myself lucky to see a handful of wild eagles a year, let alone more than one at the same time.
ttf_Ellrod

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

You want to keep the ShihTzu leashed.
ttf_Graham Martin

Bunker 2017

The hatching of the Southwest Florida Bald Eagles has been getting a lot of attention over recent days on the TV news in Australia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gymPFiPE88I
ttf_ISAB

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_ISAB »

Quote from: Graham Martin on Jan 02, 2017, 09:20PMThe hatching of the Southwest Florida Bald Eagles has been getting a lot of attention over recent days on the TV news in Australia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gymPFiPE88I

I can tell
They're showing it in school Image
ttf_badger

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_badger »

Graham,

Enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbLweooe3aM

Aussie's still have it for a bit!  Image
ttf_Graham Martin

Bunker 2017

Well, the Holden has always been my favourite car and the one I have driven for most of my time in Australia. That particular vehicle, although based on an American model, is Australian designed for the Australian market. Unfortunately, as it related in the video and you referred to, Holden is almost no more in Australia. Many of us are pretty peed off at GM's action in pulling out - after we showed so much loyalty to the brand - and that is why I will never buy another Holden, or GM vehicle. Albeit,our Government could have got them to stay if they had really tried. And that's only one of the reasons I would never vote for the Australian coalition government parties. Never have, actually!  Image
ttf_Jhereg

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_Jhereg »

I love my Williams trombone.

Went back to work after a big break and decided to start with the Williams and very glad I did. The Horn That Plays Itself.

Hate coming back from long breaks but always look forward to getting back into it  Image
ttf_BGuttman

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

New show this year, Megan?
ttf_Jhereg

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_Jhereg »

Quote from: BGuttman on Jan 12, 2017, 10:10PMNew show this year, Megan?

No, actually for the first time we're running a repeat show for a third year (usually shows here run for two years). This means I've played our High Wire music something like 2000 times.  Image
ttf_BGuttman

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: Jhereg on Jan 13, 2017, 06:54AM... This means I've played our High Wire music something like 2000 times.  Image

Better than having to play Rolling Thunder that many times Image
ttf_Jhereg

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_Jhereg »

Truth!
ttf_Jhereg

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_Jhereg »

The past few weeks have been pretty awful. We all find out we're losing our jobs, then Brett's mom passed away...can you imagine, losing your job and your mother within just a few weeks?  Image

I used to think it would be fun to decide where to live after the circus. The truth is I'm overwhelmed and torn.

ttf_BGuttman

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

So sorry to hear about Brett's mom.

Yeah, losing a job and a parent at the same time is very stressful.  There was a piece in the New York Times magazine a few years back (maybe a lot of years back) talking about life stressors.  Losing a job, divorce, and losing a parent all are extreme stressors.

I hope all of you will bounce back from this quickly.  Hope that some of you may actually find employment with the Feld organization so you don't lose seniority (if that's possible). 

I saw in another thread you were interested in auditioning for the LA Phil.  Hope that happens (and that you succeed).
ttf_Graham Martin

Bunker 2017

Sorry to hear of your loss Megan.

It is very disappointing to hear about the circus closing down but at least you can say you were part of a history that went back 150 years, where the circus band became an important part of the circus entertainment spectacle, in some places the only entertainment show people were able to see.

A Short History Of The Circus Band here:

http://www.sideshowworld.com/13-TGOD/2004/tgodcircusbands.html

Although the circus started in Great Britain, it was the USA that made it a true travelling entertainment show by introducing the tent and the band, which was then taken back to Europe. Image

You are part of that great history of the circus, Megan. Image

ttf_badger

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_badger »

Super Bowl Commercials:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UxmNEXOSSg

Add your own favorite.

ttf_Graham Martin

Bunker 2017

Phew! Australia is experiencing a heat wave and it is going to get worse. The strange thing is that, although we expect to get hotter weather in Queensland, that has not been the case recently and it is the Southern States that have the highest temperatures. But starting today South East Queensland is going to get 10 degrees Celsius above-the-average temp. On Sunday 39C = 102F. Image

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-10/australia-heat-wave-catastrophic-fire-conditions/8258164

I suppose we have to expect this with the present global warming; last year being the hottest on record and this year set to be hotter.

ttf_Steven

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_Steven »

Meanwhile, northeastern United States finally had a decent snowfall.  We got about a foot of snow in the Hudson Valley.  It's the first time all winter I've been able to ask myself "skis or snowshoes?".
ttf_BGuttman

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Yeah.  We have a foot and a half here and they are talking about 2 feet in Worcester, MA.  No school in Boston today and tomorrow.  Don't know about here yet.  I think I'll be shoveling my driveway for the weekend. Image
ttf_robcat2075

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

Quote from: BGuttman on Feb 04, 2017, 10:07PMYeah, losing a job and a parent at the same time is very stressful.  There was a piece in the New York Times magazine a few years back (maybe a lot of years back) talking about life stressors.  Losing a job, divorce, and losing a parent all are extreme stressors.

When my mother died 26 years ago at age 71 that was very bad. I found myself spontaneously breaking into tears for a year after that.

But a couple days ago my father died at age 100 and I'm fine with it.

From Woodrow Wilson to Donald Trump, he got to witness an amazing stretch of human history, and perfectly timed his ride on the wave of American prosperity.

I think the happiest time i had with my father was when I was about four or five. I'd climb up in his lap and say "draw me a train" and he'd pull an envelope out of the wastebasket and draw me a scene with a steam locomotive.

That's a long way to have to go back for a happy memory.

I know a lot of people would be glad just to have a father like mine who never came home at 2am in a drunken rage or one like mine who had a long, continuously-employed professional career. I am grateful that he had those positive qualities. I've met fathers who didn't and their families were a wreck.

None-the-less, my strongest memories will be the disappointing ones. His hands-on parenting was pretty much limited to dragging us to church every Sunday.

He expressed no interest in any of my interests even when they were interests that he had had at one time, like wood-working projects or photography.

I learned early on not to bother asking him questions because his answer would typically be, "I guess you'll just have to put on your thinking cap, my good man!" If I had a complaint about something, his remark would be, "Well that's just tough!"

He had a PhD in Chemistry and was a calculus whiz but was incapable of helping me with any of my homework. He could not understand why I had questions about something that was so obvious to him.

The only time I ever heard him say, "I'd like to help you with that" was after he was able to add, "but I'm just too old and weak to be much use."

If you went down the list of classic father-son activities, we did none of them. To this day I can't pass a football or hit a baseball. The only sit-down serious father-son talk we ever had was when he told me I HAD to go to his alma mater for college because that was the one he'd pay for.

But then I ended up having to pay for most of it anyway even though he could have easily covered it. That was seriously bad financial guidance from my parents that took me almost 20 years to unwind.

One of my biggest surprises was after my mother died and I came home to find him playing the piano, choosing hymns to play at the funeral.

Huh? My dad plays piano?!?

For years, all we had ever heard from his childhood piano study was "America" and he said he could play nothing else. But here he was now, sight-reading through the hymnal.

All during my beginner trombone years he could have been helpful and plunked out a simple accompaniment to a simple solo. That would have been great fun but it never happened. It would have cost him nothing but a little time but he never ventured to try.

So, I don't mourn my dad's passing. He had a longer life and more chances to do the things he wanted than most of us can hope for.

I do regret the missed opportunities and all the things that could have happened and should have happened but didn't because... he just didn't want to bother.

May he rest in peace. He's finally getting that nap he always seemed to need.
ttf_Graham Martin

Bunker 2017

It looks very much as though New South Wales will see the hottest day ever today (Saturday)with catastrophic fire conditions! And then the heat wave will head our way (Queensland), with Sunday likely to be extremely hot.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-11/heatwave-moves-across-australias-eastern-states/8261520

Most surprising is that many sporting events have been put back until the evening and some horse racing abandoned. I do not remember that happening previously but the extreme temperatures are certainly very dangerous for athletes, with many being taken to hospital over recent days. Bad for kids also and there was one school yesterday where they stupidly held an open-air Assembly, due to construction work on the hall, and then had to call the ambulances for seven kids suffering heat exhaustion.

I suppose we should get used to it because it is the result of global warming and the scientists are all predicting heatwaves and fierce storms will become the norm.
ttf_BillO

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_BillO »

Quote from: Graham Martin on Feb 10, 2017, 07:45PMI suppose we should get used to it because it is the result of global warming and the scientists are all predicting heatwaves and fierce storms will become the norm.
You've got it all wrong.  Herr Trump says global climate change is a Chinese hoax.  Plump Trump caint nev'r be wrong!!!  Jus aks DD 'n Badger.
ttf_Ellrod

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

My condolences Robcat. 100 years. He had an excellent run.
ttf_BillO

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_BillO »

Quote from: BGuttman on Feb 09, 2017, 05:10PMYeah.  We have a foot and a half here and they are talking about 2 feet in Worcester, MA.  No school in Boston today and tomorrow.  Don't know about here yet.  I think I'll be shoveling my driveway for the weekend. Image
Pfffft... Wimps!  I have a meter in my back yard right now, and it's been one of the best years for scant snowfall since 2006.  3 years ago I had to have my roof shoveled off twice.
ttf_Graham Martin

Bunker 2017

Doomsday has arrived.

New South Wales residents have the 'worst ever' fire rating and have been told to prepare for catastrophic fire conditions before it's too late, as temperatures across the country are set to break records. The word 'catastrophic' is an official level of fire danger! Image

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-12/fire-heatwave-worst-possible-conditions-for-nsw/8262774

In South-east Queensland we are also experiencing a hot weekend, with the Bureau of Meteorology saying temperatures look set to break records.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/queensland-weather-more-heat-records-to-tumble-as-state-scorches/news-story/69cdcf1628e75a7b11ebf896c608a281

I made sure to take our morning walk very early because Maggie is an old dog (nearly 15) and I do not want her suffering from heat exhaustion after everything she has been through in recent months. But she would not let me cut the walk short, absolutely insisting we did the full thing - very slowly!
ttf_BGuttman

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Remember, Grah, she has to check the pee-mail.  So she has to go to all the spots to sniff.

Wish I could send you some of our snow.  We have more than enough, thank you with a pile to come tomorrow into Monday.  I may be digging for a week! Image
ttf_badger

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_badger »

Quote from: robcat2075 on Feb 09, 2017, 06:03PMWhen my mother died 26 years ago at age 71 that was very bad. I found myself spontaneously breaking into tears for a year after that.

But a couple days ago my father died at age 100 and I'm fine with it.

From Woodrow Wilson to Donald Trump, he got to witness an amazing stretch of human history, and perfectly timed his ride on the wave of American prosperity.

I think the happiest time i had with my father was when I was about four or five. I'd climb up in his lap and say "draw me a train" and he'd pull an envelope out of the wastebasket and draw me a scene with a steam locomotive.

That's a long way to have to go back for a happy memory.

I know a lot of people would be glad just to have a father like mine who never came home at 2am in a drunken rage or one like mine who had a long, continuously-employed professional career. I am grateful that he had those positive qualities. I've met fathers who didn't and their families were a wreck.

None-the-less, my strongest memories will be the disappointing ones. His hands-on parenting was pretty much limited to dragging us to church every Sunday.

He expressed no interest in any of my interests even when they were interests that he had had at one time, like wood-working projects or photography.

I learned early on not to bother asking him questions because his answer would typically be, "I guess you'll just have to put on your thinking cap, my good man!" If I had a complaint about something, his remark would be, "Well that's just tough!"

He had a PhD in Chemistry and was a calculus whiz but was incapable of helping me with any of my homework. He could not understand why I had questions about something that was so obvious to him.

The only time I ever heard him say, "I'd like to help you with that" was after he was able to add, "but I'm just too old and weak to be much use."

If you went down the list of classic father-son activities, we did none of them. To this day I can't pass a football or hit a baseball. The only sit-down serious father-son talk we ever had was when he told me I HAD to go to his alma mater for college because that was the one he'd pay for.

But then I ended up having to pay for most of it anyway even though he could have easily covered it. That was seriously bad financial guidance from my parents that took me almost 20 years to unwind.

One of my biggest surprises was after my mother died and I came home to find him playing the piano, choosing hymns to play at the funeral.

Huh? My dad plays piano?!?

For years, all we had ever heard from his childhood piano study was "America" and he said he could play nothing else. But here he was now, sight-reading through the hymnal.

All during my beginner trombone years he could have been helpful and plunked out a simple accompaniment to a simple solo. That would have been great fun but it never happened. It would have cost him nothing but a little time but he never ventured to try.

So, I don't mourn my dad's passing. He had a longer life and more chances to do the things he wanted than most of us can hope for.

I do regret the missed opportunities and all the things that could have happened and should have happened but didn't because... he just didn't want to bother.

May he rest in peace. He's finally getting that nap he always seemed to need.

Condolences Sir… May your father RIP.
ttf_Graham Martin

Bunker 2017

As predicted, temperatures in South East Queensland kept rising in the state's heatwave, making it the hottest day on record. Image

Thargomindah in the south-west was the hottest place at 46C, but Birdsville in far south-west Queensland was not far behind on 45C. In Brisbane and here on the coast it was extremely hot but bearable. Fortunately there were none of the power blackouts caused by over-demand that plagued the other states down South.
ttf_Graham Martin

Bunker 2017

It was a spectacular end to the hot spell last night with a really wild lightening storm as I was driving to band practice.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-14/queensland-storm-clean-up-underway-after-lightning-rain-bom/8267866?WT.ac=statenews_qld

We now have a couple of cooler days before the temps rise again over the weekend.

New South Wales had it even worse than Queensland with many bushfires destroying property and livestock. Fortunately there was no loss of life due to the fires but there are still 11 fires which are classified as out of control. Image

This video shows how these recent fires even created their own weather system:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-13/did-you-know-a-bushfire-can-create-its-own-weather/8267022

I hope that further storms in California do not cause the collapse of the Oroville Dam, which I understand is the tallest dam in the US. That could be catastrophic for those in the path of the 10-metre wall of water that would be created. I remember how much damage and flooding was caused here in Brisbane when they just released too much water from Wivenhoe Dam back in March 2011.

ttf_bhcordova

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_bhcordova »

Glad you got some cooler weather Grah! 
ttf_Graham Martin

Bunker 2017

It seems like severe weather of various types will not leave Queensland alone. There is a high chance that the first cyclone of the season will form in the Gulf of Carpentaria tonight. It is presently a tropical low and was moving over Mornington Island early this morning, with wind gusts of up to 95 kilometres per hour and heavy rainfall. Fortunately for us down in South East Queensland, the low is expected to move south-west towards the Northern Territory border, where it has a more than 50 per cent chance of turning into a category one cyclone by this evening. If it does develop they are going to call it 'Alfred'. Image

ttf_BillO

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_BillO »

Man, you folks down under have been experiencing the most extreme weather imaginable over the last decade or so.  If your not being fried to a crisp, your being washed away in floods.
ttf_Graham Martin

Bunker 2017

As I post this, Sydney is now copping it with severe thunderstorms and hail:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-17/sydney-braces-hail-and-damaging-winds-after-storm-warning/8280506

Also they are still fighting bushfires/grass fires in New South Wales:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-17/fast-moving-grassfire-threatens-homes-near-queanbeyan/8280414

Here in Queensland we expect to get hot weather and the odd cyclone during the season but NOT records being broken all the time. That is definitely the effect of global warming and we had better do something about it for the long term survival of humanity.
ttf_BGuttman

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: Graham Martin on Feb 16, 2017, 09:58PM...

Here in Queensland we expect to get hot weather and the odd cyclone during the season but NOT records being broken all the time. That is definitely the effect of global warming and we had better do something about it for the long term survival of humanity.

Sadly, not with this American President and his cohort of Climate Change Deniers. Image

Like the song says: "Better get ready to tie up the boat in Idaho" (West coast will be flooded with ocean rise).  Of course this will result in the Earth making a recovery -- with no additional carbon dioxide being emitted by the now non-existent humans, the plants will clear the air and things will get back to normal.  For the next species to climb to dominance. Image
ttf_Graham Martin

Bunker 2017

A category one cyclone has indeed formed in the Gulf of Carpentaria but is due to weaken before heading towards the Northern Territory coast. The low had been threatening to turn into a cyclone for days, and finally intensified into Cyclone Alfred about 7am this Monday morning.

I read an article about the naming of cyclones yesterday, which suggested hurricanes with female names lead to a higher death toll. So I smiled when I read the next bit about Albert, which was from a female Bureau of Meteorology forecaster, Sally Cutter:

"He had a good night, he's been sort of wandering around the south-west part of the Gulf for quite a while, and in the early hours of this morning he finally got himself organised and spun up."

She added, "Alfred's gone off to Mornington Island and come back, headed off to Groote [Eylandt] and come back, he's well-travelled," she said. Image

It seems to me that any familiar name, female or male, tends to make a cyclone sound like they really do have a friendly personality rather than just being a weather event that can be very dangerous.
ttf_bhcordova

Bunker 2017

Post by ttf_bhcordova »

Praying for the people of Australia who will be affected by this Cyclone.

Return to “Chit-Chat”