Language Apps - recommendations/suggestions?

ttf_Ellrod

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

I’ve been looking at online language apps in preparation for a trip to Italy in a few months. Lots to choose from.

What I’m looking for would involve more basic vocab and verbal interaction using speech recognition and repetition. Duolingo, for example, seems to involve a lot of screen time. I’d like something that was less screen oriented, so I could practice while out for a walk without looking at a screen the whole time.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

My company gave me a free subscription to Rosetta Stone to learn German.  I didn't put in enough time, but what I did was very useful.  I'm no longer employed there so my subscription lapsed.  You can get a free lesson to try it out.

My mother-in-law liked the Pimsleur series of tapes (yes, back then they were cassette tapes). 

There is also a site called "News in Slow" offering French, German, Spanish, and Italian.  You listen to stories you should know in the new language.  Haven't tried it myself, but there is a free introduction.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

My company gave me a free subscription to Rosetta Stone to learn German.  I didn't put in enough time, but what I did was very useful.  I'm no longer employed there so my subscription lapsed.  You can get a free lesson to try it out.

My mother-in-law liked the Pimsleur series of tapes (yes, back then they were cassette tapes). 

There is also a site called "News in Slow" offering French, German, Spanish, and Italian.  You listen to stories you should know in the new language.  Haven't tried it myself, but there is a free introduction.

Return to “Chit-Chat”