One Day Series - Australia V England

ttf_Graham Martin

Post by ttf_Graham Martin »

The One Day Cricket Series starts this afternoon in half an hours time at the MCG. I think it might be quite difficult to beat the Poms in this series.

Plus there is already a bit of scuttlebutt and criticism of the Aussie selectors for not including Glenn Maxwell in the side. Aussie coach Darren Lehman says that his omission is due to the fact, "He simply has not performed well enough for Australia in recent times to merit a place in the XI". Image
ttf_Graham Martin

At the end of their 50 Overs, Australia were 304 for 8. England got the wickets of the danger men, David Warner and Steve Smith very cheaply. The top scorer was Aaron Finch with 107. I believe the English bowlers controlled the scoring rate fairly. A run rate of 6 runs per over should not be difficult for the Poms to win this one.

And sure the Poms have started fairly well with 83 for 2 after 10 overs.
ttf_Graham Martin

Just on 9.15pm here in Brisbane and England have just won the first ODI by 5 wickets, with 7 balls to spare. Very well done!

England displayed some superbly controlled batting with great running between the wickets. Joe Root was a main contributor. But particularly Jason Day who made the highest score by any  Englishman in One Day cricket.

Very enjoyable to watch but honestly the Poms never looked as though they would loose once they were batting.

ttf_vegasbound

Post by ttf_vegasbound »

And the highest score by any batsman in an ODI at the MCG. At last something for us poems to celebrate!
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: vegasbound on Jan 14, 2018, 04:53AMAnd the highest score by any batsman in an ODI at the MCG. At last something for us poems to celebrate!

I know England was the home of Shakespeare, Donne, and Browning; but I didn't think that made that much difference Image

(I know, AutoCorrect strikes again!)
ttf_vegasbound

Post by ttf_vegasbound »

Quote from: BGuttman on Jan 14, 2018, 08:51AMI know England was the home of Shakespeare, Donne, and Browning; but I didn't think that made that much difference Image

(I know, AutoCorrect strikes again!)

Yep lol. I hate autocorrect !!
ttf_Graham Martin

I think the additions to the English team for yesterday's ODI - bowlers David Wood and Adil Rashid for instance - gave a fascinating glimpse of how tough it could have been for Australia to win back the Ashes if these guys had been available, and the selectors a bit more discerning. Plus Jason Roy was very good at the necessary style for the one-day game, which style admittedly may not convert to the normal full five-day game Test match format. 

The next ODI is here in Brisbane at the Gabba, where the first test match of this series was played. And it will be a big test also for David Sandurski who has just signed his contract as the Brisbane cricket ground's new curator. January 19 will herald his first appearance as Gabba curator on the international stage.  Image

I am very much looking forward to the rest of this series. Image

ttf_Graham Martin

Australia batted first for the second ODI, and England controlled the scoring rate very well. Australia are 270 for 9 with the final wicket taken on the last ball of the 50th Over. Not that wickets matter a lot in this form of the game.

England should go on to win this one easily.
ttf_Graham Martin

It was so obvious that the Australian reshuffled side were going to loose that I did not even bother to stay up until the bitter end. England's very good limited overs outfit is much better than Australia, who in my opinion, despite the reshuffle, have retained too many of the Test side, instead of grabbing some of the 'Big Bash' players who are presently playing to packed stadiums in our local league.

England won by 4 wickets scoring 274 for 6 in 44.2 overs in reply to Australia's 270 for 9 in the full 50 overs. So now the Poms are 2 up in the series and Australia will have to do something drastic to win this series.

ttf_vegasbound

Post by ttf_vegasbound »

We just wish the test side had shown the same commitment and intent...rather have. Won the ashes than the ODI series....
ttf_bhcordova

Post by ttf_bhcordova »

Ok, cricket.  That's kind of like Baseball, right?
ttf_vegasbound

Post by ttf_vegasbound »

Quote from: bhcordova on Today at 10:40 AMOk, cricket.  That's kind of like Baseball, right?

No baseball is a kind of rounders.... Rounders is a game played in girls gym classes!
ttf_Graham Martin

Image Go Tigers!  Image
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: Graham Martin on Today at 01:32 PM
Image Go Tigers!  Image

The Tigers start Spring Training in about a month.  The Lions just finished a dismal season.

The Red Wings are active now along with the Pistons.

I'm glad to see the English still remember how to play Cricket Image
ttf_Graham Martin

I was tied up with gigs yesterday for most of the third ODI between Australia and England, and therefore unable to report on progress of the game. But now I have to tell you that Australia lost the match and thus the series. This is the first home ODI series defeat in seven years.

England batted first and a Jos Buttler century powered England to 6-302. But when the Aussies batted they failed to lift the scoring rate when required, and thus experienced a 16-run loss with four wickets still in hand i.e. 6-286.

Australian skipper Steve Smith is in a bit of trouble with the match officials for slow over-rates, after Australia fell two overs short of completing them in the allocated three-and-a-half hours. Smith was fined 40 per cent of his match fee, but more crucially faces a one-match ban if his team fails to get through their overs again in the next year. Image
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

You still play the remaining matches, don't you?

Better luck next year.
ttf_Graham Martin

Quote from: BGuttman on Jan 21, 2018, 06:36PMYou still play the remaining matches, don't you?

Oh yes, 4th match in Adelaide on 26st Jan, and 5th in Perth on 28th Jan.

Then we take on the Kiwis in the Tri-Series.
ttf_vegasbound

Post by ttf_vegasbound »

It was a very close game, and as the barmy army (England's travelling supporters) sang with humour we're going to win 5-4!
ttf_Graham Martin

The ODI series has already been won by the Poms, but the Aussies will be desperate to win today in the fourth ODI at Adelaide Oval. After all, it is Australia Day.

Game starts in a few minutes.
ttf_drizabone

Post by ttf_drizabone »

Going pretty well so far. England have lost 5 for 41 after 17 overs. 

Are they playing bad or are our bowlers on fire?
ttf_Graham Martin

I think our bowlers were performing very well with the new ball.

It looked like a bit of a disaster for England until Chris Woakes came to the crease.

But now England are all out for a Total of 196 in 44.5 overs.

Australia should be able to win their first ODI from here.
ttf_vegasbound

Post by ttf_vegasbound »

Australia win, but where made to work hard for it  by England, eventually Australia won by 3 wickets!
ttf_Graham Martin

The result leaves the series 3-1 in England's favour ahead of the last match on Sunday in Perth and denies the tourists their first clean sweep of a ODI series in Australia.
ttf_Graham Martin

The final ODI game of the Australia versus England series in now on at the brand new Perth Stadium.

Australia is  bowling first and England is batting well with the score at 71 for 0 with 38 overs left.

ttf_Graham Martin

England are all out for 259 runs at 47.4 overs.

I think that is a pretty good score, despite them wasting the potential runs from the remaining two overs. My observation is that England found the brand new wicket in Perth to their liking for batting.

Let's hope that the Aussies also find it suitable for high scores with their batting styles.

So, 260 runs to win guys. Get to it! Image
ttf_vegasbound

Post by ttf_vegasbound »

England win the game and series after not playing that well in this last match, but some great bowling from Curran getting 5 wickets  and Morgan showing his outstanding captaincy to defend the total!
ttf_Graham Martin

I feel England played very well and, like you said, England paceman Tom Curran, with 5-35, spoiled the opening party at Perth's new $1.5 billion stadium by bowling Australia to a 12-run loss. Thus, after losing the Ashes, England now claim a 4-1 deserved win of the ODI series.

Both sides will now turn their attention to the Twenty20 tri-series that also involves the Kiwis. Steve Smith will be rested for these games but I would suggest that David Warner, who is to be replacement skipper, has not demonstrated his usual skills at the short form of the game.

Oh, and if anyone is interested in Tennis, Roger Federer has just beaten Marin Cilic to win his sixth Australian Open crown — and his 20th grand slam title — in a five-set thriller.
ttf_Graham Martin

I feel England played very well and, like you said, England paceman Tom Curran, with 5-35, spoiled the opening party at Perth's new $1.5 billion stadium by bowling Australia to a 12-run loss. Thus, after losing the Ashes, England now claim a 4-1 deserved win of the ODI series.

Both sides will now turn their attention to the Twenty20 tri-series that also involves the Kiwis. Steve Smith will be rested for these games but I would suggest that David Warner, who is to be replacement skipper, has not demonstrated his usual skills at the short form of the game.

Oh, and if anyone is interested in Tennis, Roger Federer has just beaten Marin Cilic to win his sixth Australian Open crown — and his 20th grand slam title — in a five-set thriller.

Return to “Chit-Chat”