Most favorite mouthpiece

ttf_dbdicker

Most favorite mouthpiece

Post by ttf_dbdicker »

I liked this poll. Learned a lot.

You expect the majority to go Bach or Schilke (most guys grew up on them).  and Doug Elliot has a (well deserved) following here, including me.

I was surprised at how few answered Greg Black as I continue to hear from so many others how positively amazing they are - they've been the "hot" piece in the last few years, it seems to me -- but few answer GB as their favorite.

Also surprised at how many responded positively to the G&W's!   For a pretty obscure brand,  they got a lot of votes.

As for me, I've got the DE system, except with my R4 where I adore the sound I get from my Warburton 8ST.

So, despite using 4 Doug Elliot's and one Warburton, I voted for Warburton - I guess that's because I'm playing the symphonic horn more than half the time these days!

Anyway, thanks for this poll -- I liked it.
ttf_Matt K

Most favorite mouthpiece

Post by ttf_Matt K »

I think you may be surprised how many G&W users there are out there.  They made some pretty serious strides in a relatively short period of time.  I know a lot of tubists using them mostly though.

I also know tons of people on Greg Black pieces, but I don't know a lot who find talking about trombone equipment on the internet to be a productive / interesting use of their time  Image  I'm kind of kidding, but I know more people playing Greg Black pieces (college level and above) than anybody else, and that's not just in the region.  This poll may demonstrate the "likelihood of a person on x mouthpiece to access the trombone forum" better than the "number of people who use 'x' mouthpiece"!

ttf_KingMan

Most favorite mouthpiece

Post by ttf_KingMan »

Harrison Wedge. Dr. Dave modified a Bach 6.5AL for me. Loved it, then went to Wedge 5GS - absolutely the best for me.
ttf_Remo

Most favorite mouthpiece

Post by ttf_Remo »

Have played several Marcinkiewicz for many years and still have some favorites.  Mainly playing G&W now.
ttf_Pre59

Most favorite mouthpiece

Post by ttf_Pre59 »

I'm surprised to see that Marcinkiewicz is not on the poll list..
ttf_Remo

Most favorite mouthpiece

Post by ttf_Remo »

Quote from: Pre59 on Jun 04, 2015, 01:26AMI'm surprised to see that Marcinkiewicz is not on the poll list..

Me too.  But then I'd never heard of Laskey, Black, Griego, or Stork till I got on the site.  Could be Marcinkiewicz was more a regional thing till that there Internet came around.
ttf_BGuttman

Most favorite mouthpiece

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

I've been playing Marcinkiewicz mouthpieces for about 20 years.  They have been around for a while.  I like my GR on my King 7B for Jazz/Stage/Dance Band.
ttf_chipolah

Most favorite mouthpiece

Post by ttf_chipolah »

Quote from: Matt K on Jan 03, 2011, 08:55PMI love the mouthpiece that came with my jinbao.  The one that has no markings to indicate size.  Actually, I'm only being partially facetious, it isn't that bad of a mouthpiece... though I always play alto with my Doug Elliott unless I left it somewhere on accident.
If your Jinbao is a large bore tenor, it's a 5G.  If it's a bass, it's a 1-1/2G.  If it's a small bore tenor, it's a 12C and if it's a baritone, it's a 4.
ttf_svenlarsson

Most favorite mouthpiece

Post by ttf_svenlarsson »

It is really fantastic how many good mouthpiece manufactorys there is out there, the list long but nevertheless incomplete. When I was a student in the Royal College of Music there about one, Bach.
After that copies of Bach.
Vincent did show the way. Today there is many mouthpieces just as good or better.
Pickett is another newcommer that is also good.
All mouthpieces that does not fit my emboucure and sound consept may be good for you.

Velocity? Image
ttf_BGuttman

Most favorite mouthpiece

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: svenlarsson on Jun 15, 2015, 02:16AM,,,
Velocity? Image

They have been making trumpet mouthpieces for at least a year.  Guess they decided to move to trombone as well.  They try to create a vortex in the airflow to get more air through.

Black magic never ends... Image
ttf_Matt K

Most favorite mouthpiece

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Quote from: chipolah on Jun 04, 2015, 01:03PMIf your Jinbao is a large bore tenor, it's a 5G.  If it's a bass, it's a 1-1/2G.  If it's a small bore tenor, it's a 12C and if it's a baritone, it's a 4.

Hm, that's odd. When I measured it, the rim was much larger than a "12C" sized rim. Wonder if mine was an accident. I'll have to see if I still have it and take it to someone with more accurate calipers.
ttf_MDLM1392

Most favorite mouthpiece

Post by ttf_MDLM1392 »

Christian Lindberg 13 CL Jazz Mouthpiece
And Bach 6 1/2 AL
ttf_Rathrombones

Most favorite mouthpiece

Post by ttf_Rathrombones »

Rath S11 MN... most killer jazz mpce I've used Image
ttf_Pre59

Most favorite mouthpiece

Post by ttf_Pre59 »

D/Wick 9BS, great on a small bore horn and variable with the DW "Booster". Narrow enough to retain a commercial/jazz response but deep enough to fill out the lower range on a small horn.
ttf_svenlarsson

Most favorite mouthpiece

Post by ttf_svenlarsson »

I have owned and played mouthpieces from all the brands in the list except Velocity, all of those make good mouthpieces.

For now my favorite is Kurun & Gilbert for teonor, bass and tuba.
For me a very comfy rim and the cup and back bore works fine for me.
ttf_Bob Riddle

Most favorite mouthpiece

Post by ttf_Bob Riddle »

I love  Warburton Mouthpieces. I have played quite a few mouthpieces.I can't say I don't like any. I just have found that fort my needs and wants in sound and style I prefer the Warburton. I use a small shank with two different cups M & D ,different backbores depending on the sound or resistance I want. I use a ST  and two different backbores for all of my large bore needs.The just work better for me than anything else I've
found,so far...

Bob Riddle
ttf_Ellrod

Most favorite mouthpiece

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

These days I keep coming back to my Schilke 51. I have recently switched back to a Conn 88H and the Schilke. Someone whose opinion I respect recently commented that I had a "beautiful sound".
ttf_Radar

Most favorite mouthpiece

Post by ttf_Radar »

I really don't have a favorite, I play a Yamaha Doug Yeo Replica on Bass, a Joseph Klier on Tuba, a Conn Remington on my 88H, and a Bach 7C on my 3B.  If I had to pick one brand and stick with it I guess it would have to be Bach.
ttf_tbathras

Most favorite mouthpiece

Post by ttf_tbathras »

Overall, I think Doug's setups are my favorite.  However, I'm really liking the Wedge S59 I have right now.  I've got a Wedge rim on the way to put on my DE pieces; I can't wait to try that combo out.
ttf_Pteranabone

Most favorite mouthpiece

Post by ttf_Pteranabone »

No love for Jet-tone.?  They advertised and several artists (more trumpet but some trombone) endorsed the heck out of them in the 70s and 80s.   Perhaps the artists didn't like them as much as they let on.
ttf_Pteranabone

Most favorite mouthpiece

Post by ttf_Pteranabone »

No love for Jet-tone.?  They advertised and several artists (more trumpet but some trombone) endorsed the heck out of them in the 70s and 80s.   Perhaps the artists didn't like them as much as they let on.

Return to “Polls”