Bach 42BO Stradivarius Series F-Attachment Trombone

ttf_ISAB

Post by ttf_ISAB »

I'm wondering if I should get it, so tell me about your experiences with this bone  Image
ttf_bubbachet

Post by ttf_bubbachet »

There are so many variables, this question is impossible to answer.

If you're going to buy a new horn, go play several examples of whatever model you want to buy. Then, play several examples of other, comparable horns.

As a rule of thumb, the 42BO is a fine horn. There are always bad examples and duds from any manufacturer. A poll on the forum isn't going to help you one bit.
ttf_largobone

Post by ttf_largobone »

The best answer you're going to get is to try it yourself. Yes, a lot of pros like and use it, but that doesn't necessarily translate to YOU will like it. That being said, it is well built and will last a long time if you take care of it, but seriously, try tons of horns out.

My experience: I tried a couple of modern ones out, they were very solid, good in all registers, and sounded like a nice orchestral trombone. However, it wasn't the right sound for me, so I went with a Yamaha 882O instead. I've also tried a few 36B's and 36BO's from a couple different eras, not a fan. Too tight for me, like it was trying to be a large bore and a small bore at the same time.

For you, I'd recommend checking out the 42BO (and 42B), Yamaha 882 (882O), Conn 88H (88HO), King 4BF, Benge 165F, and Blessing B88 (B88O) if you're set on a large bore f-attachment horn. Try out all of these next to their closed wrap counterparts to get a feel for which you like better.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

It's much better than that Trombone-Shaped Object sold for low prices on Ebay.

It's better than the Jupiter or Weril.

It's comparable to a Benge 190F, King 4BF, Conn 88H, Olds Opera, Holton 150 or 158, or Yamaha 682.

It's not as good as a Rath R-4F, Edwards T-396 or T-350, or Shires.

They can be quite variable in condition and build, so sometimes you can get a bad one.  You need to try it first.
ttf_EWadie99

Post by ttf_EWadie99 »

I've played on a few Bachs and I find the Corporation ones to play the best IMHO.  The Bach 42B is a great trombone and same goes with the 36B.  I haven't tried the open wraps but the only answer you'll get is that you try the open wrap yourself and determine which is best.

Good luck,
Ethan   
ttf_jalapeno

Post by ttf_jalapeno »

if it's used and the owner used it regularly it might not be a dud/lemon
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Each Bach is different. Some a great, some are duds.  Buying a new Bach 42 blind is generally a horrible idea just for the simple facts that

1) You don't know if the one you get will work for you or not
2) There are tons of used ones on the market for 1/3 or less of the price
3) There are many great other horns that play very well

If you have your eyes on one, by all means, that's motivating and if it gets you in the practice room... then its probably worth it. I did that with a Yamaha Xeno when I was in high school. In hind sight, it ended up not being a horn that was very compatible with me, and I spent a fair amount of money on it, so I didn't have anything left when I wanted eventually to switch. Had I found a used horn, I'd have been in a better financial shape to get one that better fit me later when I was a more mature player.

If you're in high school, I actually think that medium bore (525) horns are good choices for high school students. Definitely worth considering.
ttf_bhcordova

Post by ttf_bhcordova »

Don't know about the 42B, but I love my 36B.
ttf_ISAB

Post by ttf_ISAB »

Quote from: Matt K on Nov 17, 2016, 03:59PMEach Bach is different. Some a great, some are duds.  Buying a new Bach 42 blind is generally a horrible idea just for the simple facts that

1) You don't know if the one you get will work for you or not
2) There are tons of used ones on the market for 1/3 or less of the price
3) There are many great other horns that play very well

If you have your eyes on one, by all means, that's motivating and if it gets you in the practice room... then its probably worth it. I did that with a Yamaha Xeno when I was in high school. In hind sight, it ended up not being a horn that was very compatible with me, and I spent a fair amount of money on it, so I didn't have anything left when I wanted eventually to switch. Had I found a used horn, I'd have been in a better financial shape to get one that better fit me later when I was a more mature player.

If you're in high school, I actually think that medium bore (525) horns are good choices for high school students. Definitely worth considering.
Many of you say that there is a great chance the one I get is a dud
There's a Music and Arts store near my house
Could I try out this bone there?
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Quote from: ISAB on Nov 21, 2016, 06:27AMMany of you say that there is a great chance the one I get is a dud
There's a Music and Arts store near my house
Could I try out this bone there?

It would be a weird business strategy to have a horn in stock and not let customers try it out. Definitely worth taking someone with you who is a good player, preferably a teacher, who can look for things you might not yet know to look for.
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

Quote from: ISAB on Nov 21, 2016, 06:27AMMany of you say that there is a great chance the one I get is a dud

Yet so many have rated it as "Good" ....

I have tried so many 42s and only a single 42T that I tried had a special sparkle. That horn was a 10. The other ten or so 42s I've tried over the years were duds, if you believe the stories about cherry picking "the one" at the factory.  THAT to me is a poor business strategy.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Note that a "dud" Bach 42B is still miles better than most Ebay Chinese trombones.  Those of us who say we go through piles of them are quite picky.

Music and Arts generally won't have a pile of them for you to try.  My local store became a Music and Arts affiliate, but when I was testing out symphonic tenors they had only ONE 42B (I didn't buy it).

Yamaha has a reputation of consistency.  If I had to buy a horn "out of the box" (and wasn't going to go for a Shires/Rath/Edwards) I'd buy a Yamaha.  Whether you go for the conventional 620 or the Xeno 882 is a matter of your pocketbook.  I've been happy with my 682 that I bought 30 years ago.
ttf_bonearzt

Post by ttf_bonearzt »

IMHO,  Bach makes GREAT parts,  but doesn't always put them together well.
So...

This Bach "might" be a dud (maybe?),  could be great,  could be OK but turn GREAT with a careful rebuild or tweak.

Go play it & see how it plays,  THEN make a decision.

Eric

ttf_MikeBMiller

Post by ttf_MikeBMiller »

I just don't like the way the open wrap on that horn protrudes about 2 feet behind your head. Makes it tough if you have to play in a pit or other tight space. I used to have a regular wrap 42 from the 70's and it was great.
ttf_ISAB

Post by ttf_ISAB »

I was looking on the music and arts site and found a giardinelli trombone.
Is this an "ok" brand to buy?
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

I believe this is a stencil made in China.  I don't know much about them; maybe somebody else here does.  My experience with Music and Arts is that they don't have much of a support staff (i.e. repair people) and you may have problems if it needs work after you buy it.

Note that Robert Giardinelli used to have a pro brass shop in New York City and made custom trombones.  But he's been dead for quite a while now and his shop was taken over by someone else and moved to upstate New York where it serves as a big box music supplier.
ttf_ISAB

Post by ttf_ISAB »

After trying it out at Music and Arts, I tried out the Stradivarius and ended up not liking it.
I felt that the slide was too wide
In the end I decided on the Yamaha Xeno 882O (for a good price too) Image
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Good choice.  Good luck with it. Image
ttf_MikeBMiller

I'm amazed that you found a Music and Arts store that had 2 trombones in stock.
ttf_ISAB

Post by ttf_ISAB »

Music and Arts actually had more trombones in stock than almost any other store I visited
(I went to three different Q and F stores)

ttf_ISAB

Post by ttf_ISAB »

I was very impressed because they also had multiple Bach Strads and Conn 88Hs
In comparison, Q and F only had 1 Xeno between all 3 stores and didn't carry Conns
Although Q and F does have a Shires showcase (Montgomery)
ttf_MikeBMiller

Glad you found a horn you like. The Music and Arts here has maybe 1 beginner trombone and 1 step-up horn in stock. Then again, nobody could make a living selling trombones in this town.
ttf_largobone

Post by ttf_largobone »

I love my 882O, I think you will too. Have fun with the new horn!  Image
ttf_largobone

Post by ttf_largobone »

I love my 882O, I think you will too. Have fun with the new horn!  Image

Return to “Polls”