Different tyoe of Scam

ttf_mark fellows

Different tyoe of Scam

Post by ttf_mark fellows »

I have two expensive horns on Craigslist that I am selling - a $5500 Selmer Mark VI alto sax and my $3000 Rath R4F.
I got a text on the sax and an email on the Rath. Both used womens names and both asked a general question about condition and then offered to pay with paypal. However neither could pick up the horn in person and would have someone pick it up for them as they had work conflicts. I asked both to call me and the first claimed too busy at work and the other never responded. I called paypal and was told that the new scam is to send an email that looks like it came from paypal but is a fake then hound the seller into sending the instrument - even threatening to sue. I am a bit surprised that the scammers are that eager to get a musical instrument

Anyone else have similar experience?
ttf_robcat2075

Different tyoe of Scam

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

But you wouldn't agree to give to the courier person if you hadn't gotten a deposit in your PayPal account yet, right?
ttf_mark fellows

Different tyoe of Scam

Absolutely. I am guessing that they would never deposit anything and try to bluff their way with a fake paypal email. I did talk to paypal and they said that even if payment was made they could get their bank card company to reverse the payment and charge back the deposit to paypal who would then charge me
ttf_hyperbolica

Different tyoe of Scam

Post by ttf_hyperbolica »

Yes. Until you check your account and see the money there, you can just scream obscenities right back at them.

Or they might send a pile of invalid money orders.

Scams are easy to spot, because there's some reason why you can't get your money.
ttf_robcat2075

Different tyoe of Scam

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

Quote from: mark fellows on Nov 04, 2017, 11:42AMAbsolutely. I am guessing that they would never deposit anything and try to bluff their way with a fake paypal email. I did talk to paypal and they said that even if payment was made they could get their bank card company to reverse the payment and charge back the deposit to paypal who would then charge me

Doesn't that make every PayPal transaction a potential scam, if it's so easily reversible?
ttf_Blowero

Different tyoe of Scam

Post by ttf_Blowero »

Quote from: robcat2075 on Nov 04, 2017, 11:49AMDoesn't that make every PayPal transaction a potential scam, if it's so easily reversible?
Credit cards are reversible and you can stop payment on a check, so that's not unique to PayPal.

Mark, you wrote that two people wanted to buy instruments from you and then failed to phone you. That in and of itself doesn't necessarily mean they were scams; maybe they changed their minds. Are you saying you got fake PayPal emails from them, or are you saying PayPal just told you that's a common scam?
ttf_klimchak

Different tyoe of Scam

Post by ttf_klimchak »

Quote from: mark fellows on Nov 04, 2017, 11:42AMAbsolutely. I am guessing that they would never deposit anything and try to bluff their way with a fake paypal email. I did talk to paypal and they said that even if payment was made they could get their bank card company to reverse the payment and charge back the deposit to paypal who would then charge me

I had a forum member cancel a credit card transaction several years ago.  Not only did I get screwed out of the horn, but he had already sold it prior to my transaction being canceled.  The worst part is that he even still occasionally contacts me to buy stuff from me.
ttf_mark fellows

Different tyoe of Scam

I was basically playing a gut feeling. All credit card transactions are reversable so that means paypal as well. I have actually used that when a purchased horn turned out to be stolen. Credit card protected me then I am sure paypal placed charge against sellers account-

This one just felt too easy- buyer asked obligatory question- What is condition? after I had described in detail. Slight gramatical errors. No attempt to negotiate. Wanted to wrap it all up in 24 hours. I usually end up talking to buyers and sellers for 15 minutes before buying or selling- Nice way to make friends as well. this time they are too busy to call but happy to text. My guess is foreigner and probably male. When it happened a second time on a different item but alsomst exactly the same script I was pretty sure it was not legitimate.

I emailed a seller also selling a valuable instrument and asked if he had been conatacted and he had the exact situation. I think you have to trust your inqusitive nature and ask questions- If it seems to good to be true, it probably is.
ttf_mark fellows

Different tyoe of Scam

I was basically playing a gut feeling. All credit card transactions are reversable so that means paypal as well. I have actually used that when a purchased horn turned out to be stolen. Credit card protected me then I am sure paypal placed charge against sellers account-

This one just felt too easy- buyer asked obligatory question- What is condition? after I had described in detail. Slight gramatical errors. No attempt to negotiate. Wanted to wrap it all up in 24 hours. I usually end up talking to buyers and sellers for 15 minutes before buying or selling- Nice way to make friends as well. this time they are too busy to call but happy to text. My guess is foreigner and probably male. When it happened a second time on a different item but alsomst exactly the same script I was pretty sure it was not legitimate.

I emailed a seller also selling a valuable instrument and asked if he had been conatacted and he had the exact situation. I think you have to trust your inqusitive nature and ask questions- If it seems to good to be true, it probably is.

Return to “Found on the Net”