What was Tommy Dorsey’s exact set up?

Supermanalito

What was Tommy Dorsey’s exact set up?

Post by Supermanalito »

Title has the question, but a fellow in my big band (trumpet player) likes to put together historical instruments. His next project he wants to put together is a historically accurate set up of the trombone Tommy played. I think he famously played on a 2b and in looking at old videos, it appears it’s gold plated?!?! Is that right? Or is the color distorted in those older videos? I also have heard he played on a smaller hard to find mouthpiece, but I don’t remember what kind. I know there are some of you trombone history buffs out there that can lend some accurate information to my foggy memory. Let me know :).
Music is life
Lead trombone Willamette Valley Big Band
I Love to play in pit orchestras for musicals
Portland Oregon Area
Vegasbound

Re: What was Tommy Dorsey’s exact set up?

Post by Vegasbound »

TD used an Almont mouthpiece made from sterling silver, Greg black reproduces a version

His horn was custom made, friction fit,no slide lock with a trumpet style water key (as in the Jiggs model) TD liked his horns to be light, so not really a 2b, yes they where gold plated and heavily engraved.
officermayo

Post by officermayo »

Vegasbound wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:19 am TD used an Almont mouthpiece made from sterling silver, Greg black reproduces a version

His horn was custom made, friction fit,no slide lock with a trumpet style water key (as in the Jiggs model) TD liked his horns to be light, so not really a 2b, yes they where gold plated and heavily engraved.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"When in doubt, blow out" - MGySgt M.A. Mayo, Marine Band

The contest entry form said "Void where prohibited", so I peed on the Captain's desk.
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

I have seen those pics before, but look at any photo of TD where you get a good look at his horn and it’s friction fit no slide lock
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

Vegasbound wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:14 pm I have seen those pics before, but look at any photo of TD where you get a good look at his horn and it’s friction fit no slide lock
They probably made him dozens of horns over the years. From photos and videos, oversleeves and even the occasional slide lock come and go. I've never seen a photo with the Jiggs/trumpet water key, only the standard one, but I don't doubt that it happened at some point.
officermayo

Post by officermayo »

ithinknot wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:57 pm
Vegasbound wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:14 pm I have seen those pics before, but look at any photo of TD where you get a good look at his horn and it’s friction fit no slide lock
They probably made him dozens of horns over the years. From photos and videos, oversleeves and even the occasional slide lock come and go. I've never seen a photo with the Jiggs/trumpet water key, only the standard one, but I don't doubt that it happened at some point.
TD had King make a bunch of horns. He'd use them a while and then give them away. There's no telling how many Kings he got over the years.
"When in doubt, blow out" - MGySgt M.A. Mayo, Marine Band

The contest entry form said "Void where prohibited", so I peed on the Captain's desk.
dxhall

Post by dxhall »

Legend has it that one of Tommy’s horns was stomped flat by Jimmy during an on-stage argument.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

dxhall wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:57 pm Legend has it that one of Tommy’s horns was stomped flat by Jimmy during an on-stage argument.
The Dorseys were never known as mild-mannered angels, were they?

Wish I'd grilled Sammy Nestico more when I spent time with him several years ago. He always told good tales!
Macbone1

Post by Macbone1 »

dxhall wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:57 pm Legend has it that one of Tommy’s horns was stomped flat by Jimmy during an on-stage argument.
Not surprised. I wouldn't doubt that a nip or 4 of Irish or Scotch "lubricant" helped that to occur. I also heard that Tommy had a King coffin case fitted out to carry several spare slides on the road (perhaps right after this incident?)
King Jiggs 2BL
Olds Opera
Besson Sovereign Bb/F bass
Holton bass trumpet
B&H Imperial shepherd's crook cornet
Macbone1

Post by Macbone1 »

officermayo wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:34 am
Vegasbound wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:19 am TD used an Almont mouthpiece made from sterling silver, Greg black reproduces a version

Quite a tiny mouthpiece too, if memory serves. Worked well for Tommy, a former cornet player, and it helped on those long gigs with all that high register playing.
King Jiggs 2BL
Olds Opera
Besson Sovereign Bb/F bass
Holton bass trumpet
B&H Imperial shepherd's crook cornet
MaxPirone

Post by MaxPirone »

Few Dorsey's photos...I played a Dorsey's bell at Alan Kaplan 's house before made his Kanstul model copied this bell...was a really lighter bell more open in troath the 2b ...7 1/2 bell really different then 2b...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “History of the Trombone”