Medieval military trombonist.

8parktoollover

Medieval military trombonist.

Post by 8parktoollover »

Many of us have probably seen this drawing. I'm interested in it's history and backstory. And most importantly- what kind of trombone this is. It couldn't be a sackbutt because it has a trombone flare. Iv'e also never heard of a trombone with that kind of loop on the slide. The closest thing I know about is the loop on the bell section of a bass sackbutt. Also the way he's holding with the slide parallel to the bell suggests that the artist doesn't really know what a trombone looks like and that he is probably a non musician.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JohnL

Re: Medieval military trombonist.

Post by JohnL »

8parktoollover wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:20 am...the way he's holding with the slide parallel to the bell suggests that the artist doesn't really know what a trombone looks like and that he is probably a non musician.
Highly likely.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

The musician is not from the Medieval period. The trombone was invented around 1450 -- too late for Medieval.

From the clothing I would suspect late 16th Century to early 17th Century.

TTF had a thread of early trombone graphics. Don't know if Matt managed to save it.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

That’s the latest Shires valve design.
LeTromboniste

Post by LeTromboniste »

Lots and lots of old pictures of trumpets and trombones have flares that make them look 200 years later than they actually are. Artists exaggerated defining features of objects to make it obvious what they are picturing, so we always have to be careful about how we interpret bell flares in depictions.

Also there are probably as many depicted ways to hold a trombone as there are depictions of trombones, so don't lose to much sleep on the grip either.

This is a trombone with crooks in (they appear to be between the slide and bell, not on the slide, by the way, they are just very oddly drawn). Very similar in fact to the 1636 depiction of a trombone with crooks in Mersenne (see below). There is a number of surviving instruments that are tenors in A but which can be crooked down to be used as basses, and conversely basses in D than can be de-crooked to be used as tenors or small basses. Old sackbuts are very flexible in their configuration (in fact almost nothing is soldered).

I too would think it's from the 17th century based on the clothing, general style and the resemblance of the instrument to Mersenne's example (the artist might have very well based their design on Mersenne, as it was a widely circulated encyclopedia). Of course it's an educated guess at best.

Maximilien Brisson
www.maximilienbrisson.com
Lecturer for baroque trombone,
Hfk Bremen/University of the Arts Bremen
HowardW

Post by HowardW »

It is important to remember that images of trombones (or of anything for that matter) from before the mid-19th century are not photographs. This means that in viewing them, you have to take into account a certain amount of artistic license. In this case, the artist, Arnold van Westerhout, intentionally gave this image of a "tromba spezzata" an ancient Roman look. This is from a whole series of engravings showing various instruments that appeared in Filippo Bonanni's Gabinetto armonico pieno d'instrumenti sonori (Rome, 1722/23). The engravings in Bonanni's book were later copied by another engraver for Jean-Benjamin de La Borde's Essai sur la musique ancienne et moderne (Paris, 1780); there your "medieval trombonist" appears among the "Trompettes Antiques."

Howard
Last edited by HowardW on Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

He's also wearing a sword of some kind, which seems unlikely. They're pretty expensive, and musicians have rarely made enough money for luxuries like that.
Walleye

Post by Walleye »

timothy42b wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:08 am He's also wearing a sword of some kind, which seems unlikely. They're pretty expensive, and musicians have rarely made enough money for luxuries like that.
Musicians as late as the Civil War were issued swords. It was not unusual for a field musician to be armed..
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

Walleye wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:38 am
timothy42b wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:08 am He's also wearing a sword of some kind, which seems unlikely. They're pretty expensive, and musicians have rarely made enough money for luxuries like that.
Musicians as late as the Civil War were issued swords. It was not unusual for a field musician to be armed..
If this was from 1822 I could maybe buy that. But in 1722? Highly unlikely.
Walleye

Post by Walleye »

timothy42b wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:27 pm
If this was from 1822 I could maybe buy that. But in 1722? Highly unlikely.
I am certainly no expert on "armed" musicians and I'm not sure what part of the comment you couldn't buy, but the first American Military Band was formed in 1756. Their dress included a sword.. The old testament chronciles several examples of instruments and choirs in battle. Hard to imagine leading an army without any means of protection... Lastly, just because someone is wearing a sword in 1722 doesn't necessarily indicate military service. I believe, and again I'm not an expert, that swords were worn for ceremonial dress, and personal protection, as well as them being stylish for the time..
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

My guess was for protection in case things got ugly :evil:
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

Walleye wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:46 amLastly, just because someone is wearing a sword in 1722 doesn't necessarily indicate military service. I believe, and again I'm not an expert, that swords were worn for ceremonial dress, and personal protection, as well as them being stylish for the time..
Yes, that's my point. This does not appear to be a soldier, who might have been issued a sword. As a musician he would not have been rich enough to buy a sword for ceremonial dress, or if he ever did would certainly have had to pawn it somewhere along the line.
Schlitz

Post by Schlitz »

Last edited by Schlitz on Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Schlitz wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:01 am
BGuttman wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:29 am My guess was for protection in case things got ugly :evil:
Musician wearing a sword? Supervisory position over a Db Piccolo player.......
At that time it would have been a garklein flotlein (sopranino recorder) and much shriller than any piccolo. They are actually good people repellents.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
Geordie

Post by Geordie »

BGuttman wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:29 am My guess was for protection in case things got ugly :evil:
Yes, I’ve done gigs like that too ...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is not a rehearsal
Jimprindle

Post by Jimprindle »

When I was in an Army band during the Vietnam War, I stayed stateside the entire time. But band personnel returning from VN had stories of being put on guard duty with weapons in their off-time, sometimes involved with active shooting, fragging, bombing, warlike stuff. Some of those guys definitely had PTSD (although they did not call it that back then) from what they saw and experienced. Musicians are not safe in a war zone. It would be best to have a weapon just in case.

Loud pedal tones might not be enough :| :mrgreen:
Splendour

Post by Splendour »

Armed trombonists / sacqueboutiers are nothing new:

2bobone

Post by 2bobone »

In reference to Bruce's observation about the "Garklein" of the recorder family : The sopranino recorder is actually larger than the "Garklein" and actually sounds sweet in comparison. The "Garklein" will even send D Flat piccolo players running with their hands tightly clasped over their ears ! Neither will lull an infant into a blissful sleep.
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

2bobone wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:01 pm In reference to Bruce's observation about the "Garklein" of the recorder family : The sopranino recorder is actually larger than the "Garklein" and actually sounds sweet in comparison. The "Garklein" will even send D Flat piccolo players running with their hands tightly clasped over their ears ! Neither will lull an infant into a blissful sleep.
My garklein is the only one of my recorders I haven't played in public. I wish it had more notes though, the range is much less than my others. I have garklein through tenor, never tried the bass.
HowardW

Post by HowardW »

Splendour wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:18 am Armed trombonists / sacqueboutiers are nothing new:
Sorry, but the trombonist is not armed.

The thing you see hanging down along his left leg is the trombone case -- actually a leather cone into which the bell section can be inserted; not visible are two leather tubes in which the slide tubes were stowed. (Trombones at that time were not soldered together, but had friction joints that could be easily separated.) Notice also that the swords worn by the other riders have very distinct hilts, something the trombone case doesn't have.

Howard
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

I also like how the horse on the right does not appear to appreciate the sounds from the "band".
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
heinzgries

Post by heinzgries »

make weapons to trombones :good:
Pre59

Post by Pre59 »

Bringing things up to date.

2bobone

Post by 2bobone »

That is SO-OOOOOO Cool !! LOVE it !! :D :D :D
8parktoollover

Post by 8parktoollover »

I would assume that it is quite difficult to play horseback
lapsed88pro

Post by lapsed88pro »

It is but they get lots of training, not funny if the horse gets skittish! Nowadays, musicians are not armed (like doctors) due to Geneva Convention but may get personal protection weapons (and training) if warranted. Military playing is a great experience (if not hot in the uniform). Back on track - no swords as far as I remember so probably a promo shoot with a 'borrowed' sword?
robcat2075

Post by robcat2075 »

8parktoollover wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:20 am It couldn't be a sackbutt because it has a trombone flare.
The distinction is mostly a modern contrivance.
Iv'e also never heard of a trombone with that kind of loop on the slide. The closest thing I know about is the loop on the bell section of a bass sackbutt. Also the way he's holding with the slide parallel to the bell suggests that the artist doesn't really know what a trombone looks like and that he is probably a non musician.
You should give Will Kimball's trombone history timeline a look. That has a myriad of doubtfully-formed trombones for which the demarcation between inadequate artistic skill and genuinely odd instruments will forever remain a speculation.
>>Robert Holmén<<

Hear me as I play my horn

See my Spacepod movie

Return to “History of the Trombone”