An early trombone solo record from 1897 - Berliner 62Z

yeodoug

An early trombone solo record from 1897 - Berliner 62Z

Post by yeodoug »

Hello friends,

I recently purchased a copy of a 7-inch diameter record of "Romance for Trombone," Berliner 62Z, recorded on May 27, 1897. This is one of the earliest records that features a trombone soloist with an accompanying ensemble, predating Arthur Pryor's first records by over a month (Pryor may have made some wax cylinder solo recordings earlier, c1895, but to my knowledge they have not survived - I would love to hear if anyone knows about them).

The story of how I learned more about the "Romance," its composer, who the accompanying band was, who the soloist may have been, and some of the early history of trombone recordings are detailed in a new article that I've just posted on my blog, along with a YouTube video of the record. If this interests you, have a look:

https://thelasttrombone.com/2022/01/21/ ... from-1897/

This is not a "first claim" exercise, but rather an exploration of a forgotten early trombone recording and what it tells us about playing, literature, and records of 125 years ago.

Best wishes to all,

-Douglas Yeo

+ + + + +

Douglas Yeo
Bass Trombonist, Boston Symphony Orchestra, 1985-2012 (retired)
Trombone Professor, Wheaton College, Illinois
Clinical Associate Professor of Trombone, University of Illinois (2022-2023)
www.yeodoug.com
www.thelasttrombone.com
Mamaposaune

Re: An early trombone solo record from 1897 - Berliner 62Z

Post by Mamaposaune »

This is absolutely fascinating, Doug. Thank you for sharing, and all the time and research that went into finding out the history behind the recording.
And, a big thank-you for allowing us to hear the "cleaned-up" version at the end, and not leaving us hanging!
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

Thanks, very impressive work tracking that down.

The weird thing is I recognize it. I've clearly heard it before, but I don't see how that is possible.

Is there a piece that's very similar? Maybe something in Arban's Art of Phrasing? That's about the only place I might have played totally unfamiliar melodies.
robcat2075

Post by robcat2075 »

Great find!
That is compelling to hear sound from another age.
Mr. Stone is one of the immortals now.
And we're approaching the 125th anniversary of that recording.
>>Robert Holmén<<

Hear me as I play my horn

See my Spacepod movie
yeodoug

Post by yeodoug »

Hello all,

I've continued my research into Berliner 62Z and I have found more information about the trombone section of Haley's Washington Military Concert Band. My hypothesis that the soloist on the record was probably "Mr. Stone" (who was identified in several newspaper reviews as a member of the band's trombone section), has been strengthened by my finding several newspaper announcements and review that refer to Harry A. Stone as the trombone soloist of Haley's band. I've updated my article with some new commentary and three new clippings that speak of Harry Stone and his trombone playing:

-Douglas Yeo
+ + + + +

Douglas Yeo
www.yeodoug.com
www.thelasttrombone.com
Oslide

Post by Oslide »

yeodoug wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:21 am ... I've continued my research into Berliner 62Z and I have found more information about the trombone section of Haley's Washington Military Concert Band ...
By the way, in your article you state the names of the trombone section members as "Stone, Kruger, and Meilhausen". I read the third name as "Muellhausen".
Ceterum censeo to fetch All of TTF
yeodoug

Post by yeodoug »

Oslide wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:10 pm By the way, in your article you state the names of the trombone section members as "Stone, Kruger, and Meilhausen". I read the third name as "Muellhausen".
This name is variously spelled as Meullhausen, Meilhausen (spelled this way in my reference to the trombone section players in the April 5, 1897 article), and Muehleisen in newspaper accounts. I've clarified this in my article.

-Douglas Yeo
+ + + + +

Douglas Yeo
www.yeodoug.com
www.thelasttrombone.com
robcat2075

Post by robcat2075 »

This name is variously spelled as Meullhausen, Meilhausen (spelled this way in my reference to the trombone section players in the April 5, 1897 article), and Muehleisen in newspaper accounts.

This just in...
The Union of Nearsighted Typesetters (Local 27) is proud to have correctly spelled Mr. Mullholland's name on all three occasions and look forward to coverage of his trampoline recital next month.
>>Robert Holmén<<

Hear me as I play my horn

See my Spacepod movie
yeodoug

Post by yeodoug »

I've updated my article about Berliner record 62Z with new information about trombone soloist Harry A. Stone, including a discussion of his service as a member of the United States Marine Band before and after he was a member of William Haley's Band, and also a photo of Stone with trombone in hand, from 1902.

-Douglas Yeo
+ + + + +

Douglas Yeo
www.yeodoug.com
www.thelasttrombone.com
yeodoug

Post by yeodoug »

More information about trombonist Harry A. Stone keeps coming to my attention so I have once again updated my article. Among the new revelations are the fact that he was born in Canada (he was French Canadian according to several reports) and that he was also a composer whose works were performed frequently by Haley's Washington Military Concert Band and the United States Marine Band. My thanks to US Marine Band Librarian and Historian Sgt. Kira Wharton and TbnChat member Gary King for bringing some new information to my attention.

-Douglas Yeo
+ + + + +

Douglas Yeo
www.yeodoug.com
www.thelasttrombone.com
Savio

Post by Savio »

I find this amazing. I had an expectation that trombone players from that time couldn't play so well. But listening this enlightens me and maybe others? It's the first known recording of any trombone solo? I can sense a nice tone, god technique. Most amazing is his interpretation thats not fare a way from our modern way? I love his vibrato which seems modern.

Maybe not so strange Brahms, Beethoven, Schubert did include the trombone in the beginning of the history of symphony development. There was maybe amazing musicians from all times of history that we really dont know.

This was amazing and enlightening.

Leif
yeodoug

Post by yeodoug »

Savio wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:14 pm I find this amazing. . . It's the first known recording of any trombone solo?
Not the first trombone recording - there were (probably) a few wax cylinders and at least one other disc that were a little earlier - but one of the first trombone recordings on a record, predating Arthur Pryor's first records by over a month. Interest in this has been very strong, and we are coming up on the 125th anniversary of the making of this record, May 27. The story of the people involved in the record - Emile Berliner, the owner of the record company; Charles William Bennet, the composer; William Haley, the conductor; the Washington Military Concert Band; and trombone soloist Harry A. Stone - is the real story here. These are people who had mostly been forgotten whose names are now once again on the lips of trombone players around the world.

As Paul Hindemith said (in his poem, (The Posthorn):

The old is good not just because it's past,
nor is the new supreme because we live with it.

We live with this tension of the old and new. It's good for us to remember that not everything great has happened in our lifetime, and that there were those in the past who made important contributions. Today's trombone players stand on the shoulders of countless players from the past - even many from centuries ago, like the trombone-playing nuns in the convent of San Vito, Ferrara, Italy, who, in 1594, played "with such grace, and with such a nice manner, and such sonorous and just intonation of the notes that even people who are esteemed most excellent in the profession confess that it is incredible to anyone who does not actually see and hear it (Hercolo Bottirgari, Il Desiderio over de concerti di vary strumenti musicali) - who we don't remember today but we do well to learn something of their stories.

It's good for us to remember.

-Douglas Yeo
+ + + + +

Douglas Yeo
www.yeodoug.com
www.thelasttrombone.com
yeodoug

Post by yeodoug »

Hello all,

US Marine Band Librarian and Historian, Sgt. Kira Wharton, has recently sent me two photos of the US Marine Band from the time when trombonist Harry A. Stone was in the band. I've just added these photos to my article. They are fascinating, not only for the fact that we now have more photos of Stone with a trombone in his hand, but for the other instruments the band was using at the time, including the helicon.

Research on any subject is never done, but the story of Berliner 62Z continues to grow as new information is discovered. I will continue updating my article as additional things come to my attention.

Now, will some doctoral student please take up the subject of early trombone recordings? It's a subject that is ripe for investigation. I'll be happy to help!

Kind regards to all,

-Douglas Yeo
+ + + + +

Douglas Yeo
www.yeodoug.com
www.thelasttrombone.com
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

yeodoug wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:29 pm...but for the other instruments the band was using at the time, including the helicon.
I noticed the piston valve French horns. They're not mellophones; the valves are operated with the left hand and the valve slides are too long for an instrument in F or Eb alto.

Return to “History of the Trombone”