Gloria by John Rutter

Looking for opportunities?
AndrewMeronek

Gloria by John Rutter

Post by AndrewMeronek »

This year I get to play this more than once! A really nice piece of music that is a blast of fun to perform. Of course, in the best Andrew Meronek performances, there absolutely has to be a trombonist hacking up a lung for the duration of the quiet ending of the "Domine Deus" second movement.

An optional variation is to drop a metal straight mute on the concrete or wood stage floor from a height of 8 feet, but unfortunately this piece of music does not call for trombones using mutes.

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk
Mikebmiller

Re: Gloria by John Rutter

Post by Mikebmiller »

The last time I played that, it was in a Methodist church where the director tried to conduct AND play the organ. And half the orchestra could not see him. Let's just say it was a bit rough.
AndrewMeronek

Post by AndrewMeronek »

Mikebmiller wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:31 am The last time I played that, it was in a Methodist church where the director tried to conduct AND play the organ. And half the orchestra could not see him. Let's just say it was a bit rough.
That sounds like a bit too much to take on. That piece is not easy for conducting all by itself.
“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

AndrewMeronek wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:26 am
Mikebmiller wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:31 am The last time I played that, it was in a Methodist church where the director tried to conduct AND play the organ. And half the orchestra could not see him. Let's just say it was a bit rough.
That sounds like a bit too much to take on. That piece is not easy for conducting all by itself.
Yeah, this guy was a bit nuts. Great organist, but not so great conductor. And that piece ain't exactly in 4/4.
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

I've performed this piece over a hundred times. I think it's a very overrated, overwritten, blow fest. But that's me.

Return to “Gigs, Events, Jobs, & Vacancies”