Trombone Christmas

Looking for opportunities?
hyperbolica

Trombone Christmas

Post by hyperbolica »

I participated in a Trombone Christmas for the first time this year. While it was fun to perform upbeat music for a nice crowd in a public place to share a little positivity at this time of year, I was as they say non-plussed by the rest of the experience.

The people playing first parts raced to the front of the line, and then complained about not being able to hack it essentially. The bottom heavy sound was obnoxiously blatt-worthy in that classic adolescent bass-trombone sort of way. All of the "experienced" folks were lost in the middle parts somewhere.

For those who have lead or experienced a musically worthwhile trombone christmas, how do you prevent it from devolving into a least-common-denominator sort of event where the inexperienced are over extended and the over-experienced are under appreciated and the whole thing sounds like a hive of bumblebees on valium?

I like the idea, and the public performance itself was a success, but I felt that musically the whole event flopped. How do you combine such a wide range of skills and ambition to make the event fun for everybody? I thought I went in with sufficiently lowered expectations, but maybe not.
JohnL

Re: Trombone Christmas

Post by JohnL »

I’m afraid the “Mother Ship” suffers from those same issues to a degree, and it’s been going for 10 years now. The conductors and organizers try to run a tight ship, but sometimes a simple “word to the wise” is not enough.

We generally have trouble having enough people who can cut the 1st part; between the rehearsal (about 2 hours) and the concert, it’s a tough pull.
jorymil

Post by jorymil »

I participated in the Kansas City Trombone Christmas this year. With 264 trombonists of widely varying abilities, I wasn't going into it expecting a world-class musical experience: it was more about the camaraderie of being around so many trombonists and rooting on the younger folks who were playing.

Our situation seemed to be the opposite of what you're describing, hyperbolica: by the time I was able to register, only first parts and 2nd bass parts were left, so the choice was between high Cs and pedal Fs. I chose the high Cs, and ended up wearing out my chops a little too early--I had to play a bunch of stuff down an octave for the performance. I'm coming off a several-year layoff, so that's kinda to be expected for 2+ hours of playing. With so many people participating, I didn't feel a ton of pressure to play perfectly or hit every single note.

It sounds like a smaller setting, like a brass or trombone choir, might have been more musically satisfying for you; maybe the solution is to have a couple of different performances: say a small brass choir greeting listeners on their way into the building, then the actual performance.
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Doug Grieve, the father of Trombone Christmas, likes to say:
"Never feel sorry for anything that happens to the first trombones."

It's generally suggested that the firsts "take it easy" during the rehearsal so there's still some gas left for the concert. We also usually have a handful of serious players drifting in just before the concert to reinforce the first part, which helps.

Since SoCal Trombone Christmas is the mother ship, running out of books isn't usually an issue, so everyone plays the part they want - whether they can actually play it or not.

Another thing that happens here is that Bones West rehearses the Trombone Christmas program for a couple weeks before the concert (we do a second, Bones West only concert at another venue). That gives us a core of 30-40 players that know the tunes pretty well and gives the conductors a chance to look the charts over before the "day of" rehearsal. Some of the Bones West guys will also try to help rein in the more obvious offenders.
jorymil

Post by jorymil »

JohnL wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:20 pm Doug Grieve, the father of Trombone Christmas, likes to say:
"Never feel sorry for anything that happens to the first trombones."
Ha! I'll remember that one :-)
disco

Post by disco »

It hasn't helped recently at the mother ship that we have a Contra Bass show up. It's been described to me by those with musical experience that it sounds like a Contra Bass trombone feature with some other guys. As one of 12 firsts with our 160+ group I find the experience to be taxing as I'm trying to pick a pitch to go with, play a nicely written book, balance with 90 3rds as well as the Contra Bass who has it on "STUN".
Conn 6H Elkhart
Conn 100H
Conn 74H
Conn 88HCL
Conn 8HCL Detachable Bell Boneyard Conversion
Conn 8HT Boneyard Axial Conversion
King 2B+ X2
1939 King 2B
Yamaha 882 OR
Conn 60H with Detachable Bell Boneyard Dependent Conversion
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

disco wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:06 pm It hasn't helped recently at the mother ship that we have a Contra Bass show up.
Hey, this year I only saw one. I remember having three in past years.

I'm not sure how much of what comes out of the sixth trombone section is the contra and how much is regular bass trombones being played without due restraint. Since I'm over on the left wing with the fourths, I can't really hear what goes on in the middle that well.
disco

Post by disco »

My wife said she’s not coming next year if there’s a Contra there.🤷
Conn 6H Elkhart
Conn 100H
Conn 74H
Conn 88HCL
King 2B+ X2
1939 King 2B
Yamaha 882 OR
Vegastokc

Post by Vegastokc »

jorymil wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:45 am I participated in the Kansas City Trombone Christmas this year...
hyperbolica wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:42 am I participated in a Trombone Christmas for the first time this year....
@jorymil
I was there too! That's me in the facebook picture next to the tree. :lol: Last year was my first year after 20+ year layoff and I played 3rd. This year I played 2nd and got most of it. :good: I tried to save as much as I could for the concert.

@hyperbolica
Yeah brother, I do not think it well ever totally be about the music. I almost did not participate this year due to my "musical snobbery" . The venue in KC is the historic Union Station main hall which is a gigantic marble and concrete echo chamber. You're basically playing a full beat ahead just to make it on time and forget legato - everything is ff and marcato. :D
You can't hear yourself or your stand partner. All I could hear was the guy playing 1st to my right and a bass honking away to my left.
Its really just about the overall Xmas experience. Quite a spectacle to have that many trombones in one place. To some a nightmare; to others a wonderful dream :P
And besides, most of the people in line for the train attractions are just unintentional spectators that probably don't know a trombone from a chicken bone. (I know: corny and mean, but hey it's Xmas!)
Michael Saffier
I ate twice as much lasagna as I should have...
jorymil

Post by jorymil »

@Vegastokc

Glad to have to been there with you! I'm to the right of the tree in the snowflake hat with earflaps. Was in the front row for the actual performance; made it easy for my girlfriend and mom to spot me :-)

We'll have to meet up for a show sometime - always like to meet new people.
Vegastokc

Post by Vegastokc »

@jorymil

LOL
That's me in the red shirt near the back to your right.
I think there is a closer pic of you on fb if that's you sitting in front of the kid dressed as Santa.
Michael Saffier
I ate twice as much lasagna as I should have...
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

disco wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:41 pm My wife said she’s not coming next year if there’s a Contra there.🤷
I’ve played the last two years in the Portland OR Trombone Christmas. One of the organizers plays contra—tastefully, I might add. Maybe she’s just listening to the wrong players...
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

I did a tuba Xmas Saturday with 82 people. I played 1st euph and I have to admit being pretty fried after a 90 minute rehearsal and an hour show, even though the part only goes above F a few times. Those books give you very little space to take a break. The closest tbone event to me was about an hour and a half drive, so I have not played one of those yet. It does seem like directors would assign parts based on experience rather than letting anyone grab a first book. In the trombone choir I am in, the director spreads out the parts so that no one has to (or gets to) play first all the time.
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Mikebmiller wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:51 pmlt does seem like directors would assign parts based on experience rather than letting anyone grab a first book. In the trombone choir I am in, the director spreads out the parts so that no one has to (or gets to) play first all the time.
Like the tuba event, Trombone Christmas is a "come one, come all" sort of thing, so the organizers and directors aren't familiar with the skill level of many of the players. Unlike the tuba event, each part is a separate book (and thus an additional cost ), so it's not as easy to drop down to a lower part for a break.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

In our local event, which was on the smaller side, I think the organizer controlled who got what parts, although we were allowed to suggest which we wanted. I was willing to fill in as needed on tenor or bass, so I got the 5th book, along with both of the conductors who alternated playing and conducting. I think late showing pros who came in bolstered the 4th book.

This was the first year for us. I think maybe next year we should strengthen the firsts and seconds and maybe try to tone down the basses. Although the arrangements were good, I think they are in part to blame for the bottom heavy sound. I'm sure there is a way to play a bass trombone such that it doesn't sound like a '74 toyota without a muffler.

It was good to get out in public and play for a good cause. I don't want to sound too negative about it, it was a good experience over all, and a good thing to do - live music at a big public space where there are a lot of people before the holidays.
Tarkus697

Post by Tarkus697 »

I did the Trombone Christmas in Philly, sponsored by the UPenn band. Roughly 30 people showed up for 2 hours of rehearsal and then 2 20 minute sets at the Christmas Village stage near City Hall.

Some really great stuff, including arrangements from Christopher Bill from when he played with the Penn Jazz Band a couple of years ago.

It was a "play what you feel like" type thing, so I ended up on first with my Rath R2F along with a handful of current jazz studies students at Penn/Temple/UArts. Other parts were filled out my whatever skill level they felt comfy with. Two Penn Band members played bass trombone and we had a pretty full sound. Nothing too blatty as they were pretty skilled players. Would definitely recommend the Philly event to people next year. I had a lot of fun.
------------------------------------------
Alan W. Verostick
Strangers
Philadelphia Freedom Band
Love City Horns
hurry

Post by hurry »

Hi,

Long time no see...
I had small Christmas event in Tokyo 2019.
I played cello as well as trombone with other cellists and sang Christmas songs.
see my profile photo

happy new year 2020!

hurry
hurry, not in a hurry
disco

Post by disco »

Kbiggs wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:23 pm
disco wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:41 pm My wife said she’s not coming next year if there’s a Contra there.🤷
I’ve played the last two years in the Portland OR Trombone Christmas. One of the organizers plays contra—tastefully, I might add. Maybe she’s just listening to the wrong players...
I don't think she has a distaste for contra, it's the overall effect of it sounding like a FFF Contra solo with 160 accompanying trombones. Her description of how she felt after the concert could best be described as fatigue. I listened to the recordings, and she's right. The guy playing was skilled, but seemed intent on proving how incredibly loud he could play. Makes for a long day for the firsts trying to bring the line out over the top of a gentleman playing Wagneresque in "Winter Wonderland".
Conn 6H Elkhart
Conn 100H
Conn 74H
Conn 88HCL
King 2B+ X2
1939 King 2B
Yamaha 882 OR
dougm

Post by dougm »

I have organized a local trombone choir Christmas performance for a number of years at either a senior living center or nursing home. We rehearse on one night, perform the next night typically. Never larger than 20 players. We charge some money, and then provide pizza for the players after rehearsal, and perhaps the first round at a local establishment after the performance. I have collected the charts over the last 40 years, buying them when they are available.

I ran a local TubaChistmas for 12 years. This trombone activity, for me, is much more enjoyable.

Doug

Return to “Gigs, Events, Jobs, & Vacancies”