NOW ONLINE: Second Annual Santa Fe Trombone Summit, July 28-31, 2020

Looking for opportunities?
biggiesmalls

NOW ONLINE: Second Annual Santa Fe Trombone Summit, July 28-31, 2020

Post by biggiesmalls »

Second Annual Santa Fe Trombone Summit

UPDATE: Videos from the VIRTUAL EVENT can now be viewed on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNO158 ... subscriber

Hosted by the Trombones of the Santa Fe Opera: Mark Fisher, Chris Buckholz, Jonathan Randazzo, Chris Bassett

Auditions to select a maximum of 12 college or professional level
players, with auditors welcome

Application deadline 01 April 2020

Event dates: July 28-31 2020

Genre: orchestral, trombone ensemble

Located in gorgeous Santa Fe, New Mexico, the Santa Fe Trombone Summit is a multi-day trombone seminar with a unique high-intensity, select-size Participant group that allows an in-depth and personal experience. Co-founded by the Trombones of the Santa Fe Opera, Participants have the opportunity to play with and for all 4 co-founders in masterclasses, sections, and quartet coachings and sit-ins. In addition, Auditors join Participants in daily warm up sessions, panel discussions, and select pieces in our trombone choir which performs the final concert.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by biggiesmalls on Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
Thrawn22

Re: Second Annual Santa Fe Trombone Summit, July 28-31, 2020

Post by Thrawn22 »

Sounds cool.
6H (K series)
6H (early 60s)
4H/5H custom bell
78H ('53)
78H (K series)
78H/36BG /2547 slide
8H
88HN
71H (dependant valves)
72H
35H alto (K series)
Gary

Post by Gary »

Wow, what an opportunity!

I had to chuckle when I read of a brass workshop given at a Roman Catholic retreat because it reminded me of a post on another forum where a musician had to go to a certain location for a commitment and he was put up in a nearby Carmelite monastery. He got settled in, started to blow a few notes and suddenly the whole world seemed to come crashing all around him, creating a big uproar.

It seems that Carmelites practice contemplation and meditation and silence for much of the day.
dxhall

Post by dxhall »

I’m tempted to attend this event as an auditor. The information is pretty limited, though. Is it aimed toward high school / college players, so that older amateurs wouldn’t fit in?
norbie2018

Post by norbie2018 »

dxhall wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:17 am I’m tempted to attend this event as an auditor. The information is pretty limited, though. Is it aimed toward high school / college players, so that older amateurs wouldn’t fit in?

Auditions to select a maximum of 12 college or professional level
players, with auditors welcome.

If you need more info then that it is best to contact them.
Thrawn22

Post by Thrawn22 »

I wouldn't mind auditing.
6H (K series)
6H (early 60s)
4H/5H custom bell
78H ('53)
78H (K series)
78H/36BG /2547 slide
8H
88HN
71H (dependant valves)
72H
35H alto (K series)
biggiesmalls

Post by biggiesmalls »

As a 56-year-old amateur player who had a brief pro career in my youth, I learned a great deal attending the master classes and warm-ups at last year's event as an auditor. The overall atmosphere of the event was very welcoming and inclusive.

As an auditor, don't expect to get in much playing time beyond warm-ups and maybe a piece or two in the choir. The auditioned players are paying some real coin compared to the auditors, and they rightly deserve the undivided attention of the instructors.

You can however expect to hear some great playing, and you'll have the opportunity to learn a lot by watching and listening to highly accomplished teachers practicing their craft with the auditioned players.

At this point, it's an event that's geared toward classical large bore tenor and bass playing, so bring the appropriate horn and mindset.

The auditioned players at the inaugural event were serious college musicians who were all playing at a very high level. There was also one pro, Jay Wise, bass trombonist of the Omaha Symphony.

"Achieved Is The Glorious Work" from Haydn's "The Creation" was one of the pieces the ensemble worked on and performed, so you should feel comfortable with this level of playing if you plan to play in the choir. One of the warm-ups involved mouthpiece buzzing the entirety of Bordogni/Rochut #8 from memory, so there's another example of what to expect.

July is a great time of year to be in Santa Fe, with nice weather and nightly performances at the Santa Fe Opera, Desert Chorale, Chamber Music Series, etc. Just be sure to secure lodging well in advance, because Santa Fe is a very popular tourist destination, and July is high season.
Last edited by biggiesmalls on Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
thatme

Post by thatme »

Thanks for that review. As an advanced amateur, I had a similar question. I can’t attend this year but would definitely consider it next year.
Rath R9 Bass
B&S GR-51 BBb Tuba
dxhall

Post by dxhall »

I received an email today from the sponsors of this event. It’s been cancelled. No surprise, since some of the faculty were from the Santa Fe Opera, and the opera season has been cancelled. Too bad - it sounded like a great event.
Thrawn22

Post by Thrawn22 »

dxhall wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 6:53 pm I received an email today from the sponsors of this event. It’s been cancelled. No surprise, since some of the faculty were from the Santa Fe Opera, and the opera season has been cancelled. Too bad - it sounded like a great event.
I just saw a FB posting.
6H (K series)
6H (early 60s)
4H/5H custom bell
78H ('53)
78H (K series)
78H/36BG /2547 slide
8H
88HN
71H (dependant valves)
72H
35H alto (K series)