Coronavirus

Looking for opportunities?
BGuttman

Coronavirus

Post by BGuttman »

Given the great pandemonium about Coronavirus (Covid-19) it appears many events we are involved in are going to be affected.

I'm curious to see what has been happening in the community.

Massachusetts, New York, and Washington State have declared emergencies. Have any of you experienced concert changes or cancellations?

My orchestra (Merrimack Valley Philharmonic) has a concert scheduled for May 17 and we are starting to consider whether we will need to cancel or reschedule.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
norbie2018

Re: Coronavirus

Post by norbie2018 »

Our concert band in Madison Wisconsin rehearses at a retirement community, but for the time being we've had to find another location. All our concerts are in Assisted Living centers in retirement communities and we're just waiting for the other shoe to drop.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Had two solid weeks of gigs cancelled already. Not excited to see what Disneyland and LA Phil do in the near future.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
bigbandbone

Corona stuff

Post by bigbandbone »

I'm down in SW Florida right now and already some venues are talking about canceling gigs due to CORVID19. Anyone else seeing the same thing?
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

The Claremont Symphony here in SoCal has had to "indefinitely postpone" an upcoming concert because the college where their performance venue is located is cancelling all public events through at least April 18th. Several colleges and universities in the area are suspending "face-to-face" instruction (with exceptions for classes that just don't work online). It's a precautionary measure; none of the schools have had any cases of the disease as yet (and they want to keep it that way).
FullPedalTrombonist

Re: Corona stuff

Post by FullPedalTrombonist »

My Seattle venue cancelled a lot of shows. SXSW in Austin is cancelled. And another Austin event in July looks like it will close
cmcslide

Re: Corona stuff

Post by cmcslide »

My university has extended our spring break. That would effectively cancel any concerts happening during the extra week off. My understanding is that there are a lot of other universities doing the same thing. I haven't heard of any other cancellations here in my town yet...
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

I merged two topics related to Coronavirus.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
StevenC

Post by StevenC »

The college where my orchestra is based has been surprisingly quiet on the subject. I will continue to go to rehearsals until something changes. My daughter's college will be starting their spring break early, and may well go fully online after the break. I'm not sure how much that will help the conservatory students.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Two takeaways from a medical expert on CNN this evening:

1. Cancel everything
2. Panic
norbie2018

Post by norbie2018 »

So this is the guy Joe Rogan had on his podcast yesterday: Michael Osterholm

Here are his props:
...an internationally recognized expert in infectious disease epidemiology. He is Regents Professor, McKnight Presidential Endowed Chair in Public Health, the director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy (CIDRAP), Distinguished Teaching Professor in the Division of Environmental Health Sciences, School of Public Health, a professor in the Technological Leadership Institute, College of Science and Engineering, and an adjunct professor in the Medical School, all at the University of Minnesota.

He stated in the next three months 90 million plus cases of coronavirus, over 40 million hospitalizations, and nearly 500,000 deaths. That's in the U.S. alone.

Watch it yourself:
Last edited by norbie2018 on Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

I’m listening to Trump’s speech. It sounds like he’s coming down with something.
RConrad

Post by RConrad »

My university here in Chicago just cancelled all events after the 13th which potentially includes the concert for my band on Sunday. Going further classes will be all online by the 23rd without a date for when in person instruction will resume.
Robert C
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Bach5G wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:09 pm I’m listening to Trump’s speech. It sounds like he’s coming down with something.
He was coming down with something in 2015. He sounds like my mother-in-law in the early stages of dementia.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

I have 3 trips to Florida coming up for gigs, and I'm wondering if any of them might get cancelled at the last minute. So far nothing here has been cancelled but I'm not doing that much locally, maybe it's affecting others more.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

A colleague returned from Seattle where he went to the opera and to a movie. He must have got them in just before they banned large public gatherings. I just don’t know how worried I should be sitting next to him in rehearsals.
LeTromboniste

Post by LeTromboniste »

I am luckily in Canada this week, giving a masterclass at UofT Friday and playing a concert Saturday. That's the last work I'll have for I don't know how long, though. All my gigs from now to the summer are in Switzerland or Germany, both of which have banned large events and I don't see them going back on that any time soon as the situation has just been getting worse. Most of them are not cancelled yet because organisers are holding their breath and hoping the situation improves and the ban is lifted but it's only a question of time before they get postponed or cancelled..so much for Holy Week...

Switzerland is seeing an exponential rise (they are now near the top of the list in cases per capita and last day count was a 150 increase in one day — almost a 30% hike) and has reached the point where the authorities have stopped counting new cases, as they are no longer testing younger or otherwise healthy patients or investigating the transmission chain of new reported cases, and instead diverting all resources to treating the higher risk/older patients.
Maximilien Brisson
www.maximilienbrisson.com
Lecturer for baroque trombone,
Hfk Bremen/University of the Arts Bremen
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

Yeah here in Switzerland I got cancelled all my gigs for this weekend and I expect the same for next week. Strangely enough, rehearsals are maintained...
ƒƒ---------------------------------------------------ƒƒ
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
shider

Post by shider »

In Germany the minister of health has proposed that all events over 1000 people should be cancelled.. Due to our federal organisation the individual states can decide if they want to follow this or not. Baden-Württemberg where i live has followed that recommendation..
This weekend i will be playing a concert with a few hundred audience members, but we still are a little unsure if it's actually going to happen or if it will be cancelled last minute.. The organisator already canceled 3 other events this week, one with a group from south-tirol :shuffle:
Also in my region there is season for the yearly concerts of all the local town bands and a hand full have already canceled their concerts.. My band would play on 21st March, so still a little ahead.. But i don't see it slowing down, so maybe we have to cancel too :idk:
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

shider wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:59 am In Germany the minister of health has proposed that all events over 1000 people should be cancelled.. Due to our federal organisation the individual states can decide if they want to follow this or not. Baden-Württemberg where i live has followed that recommendation..
This weekend i will be playing a concert with a few hundred audience members, but we still are a little unsure if it's actually going to happen or if it will be cancelled last minute.. The organisator already canceled 3 other events this week, one with a group from south-tirol :shuffle:
Also in my region there is season for the yearly concerts of all the local town bands and a hand full have already canceled their concerts.. My band would play on 21st March, so still a little ahead.. But i don't see it slowing down, so maybe we have to cancel too :idk:
Exactly the same situation as here in Switzerland. We even have to contact authorities for events with more than 150 people and ask if we can do the event or not. Quite a catastrophe scenario for all the town bands who want to play their concerts now - and all the small music festivals in april... it sucks.
ƒƒ---------------------------------------------------ƒƒ
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
marccromme

Post by marccromme »

In Denmark, Copenhagen Area, our brass band and big band concerts have been canceled, as well as local brass band competitions. So have rehearsal evenings, dance lessons, and many/all cultural, sports or leisure events with more than 100 attendees. Government closes all schools, universities, public working places, except for hospitals, fireworkers, rescue teams. Private companies are urged to tell their workingforce to work from home, if possible. So it's a close to total lockdown here. I think these measures will not be given up the first 3-4 weeks ... Although they are announced for the next two weeks only yet.
StephenK

Post by StephenK »

My band has a concert this Saturday, currently going ahead. Otherwise, in the main, events in the UK are generally going ahead for the moment, but that could change very quickly. I think organisers here will generally go by what the official advice is, even if they don't completely agree or would like to be more cautious. If there has been local contact with confirmed cases though, the cancellations are happening. One big problem is the lead time to symptoms and getting test results confirmed.
LeTromboniste

Post by LeTromboniste »

Oh and one of the main venues for early music concerts in Basel, which has a very nice series of monthly concerts, is adjacent to the hospital and is now being used as an isolation and testing venue for incoming patients. It's gonna be a while before any concerts happen there again...
Maximilien Brisson
www.maximilienbrisson.com
Lecturer for baroque trombone,
Hfk Bremen/University of the Arts Bremen
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

I've been taking some time off from gigging but I have some stuff in late May so I suspect that that will still be on unless this gets really bad.
norbie2018

Post by norbie2018 »

Just got word that all our performances for March have been cancelled.
bigbandbone

Post by bigbandbone »

norbie2018 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:42 am Just got word that all our performances for March have been cancelled.

Where are you?
norbie2018

Post by norbie2018 »

bigbandbone wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:49 am
norbie2018 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:42 am Just got word that all our performances for March have been cancelled.

Where are you?
Madison, WI area. Keep in mind we bring our performances to assisted living centers.
Last edited by norbie2018 on Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Just got word that a rehearsal band is canceling rehearsals for 2 weeks (to be extended if needed).

Also play in 2 Senior Centers, and don't know if they will be closing.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
Enelson

Post by Enelson »

All gatherings of 500+ are banned in Sweden. I have seen concert cancellations at venues with an expected audience of 100 and less.
mwpfoot

Post by mwpfoot »

Most of the San Francisco Bay Area college campuses are closed, so all of those associated performances are off.

The community bands that I know have (mostly) already cancelled rehearsals, concerts and weekly gigs until further notice.

Bands and bookers are just now sorting out what to do with this weekend's (paying) gigs at the club level.

:(
Bassbonechandler

Post by Bassbonechandler »

I have to reschedule my senior recital because my college has made all classes online for 3 weeks.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

And down goes Disneyland and LA Phil.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

We have had one confirmed case in the county so far (SC). Our community band has a concert scheduled a week from Sunday. So far, we are still a go, but that could change. I hope we play as I am doing a solo and am really tired of practicing it. Almost as tired as my wife is of hearing me practice it.
norbie2018

Post by norbie2018 »

Mikebmiller wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:23 pm We have had one confirmed case in the county so far (SC). Our community band has a concert scheduled a week from Sunday. So far, we are still a go, but that could change. I hope we play as I am doing a solo and am really tired of practicing it. Almost as tired as my wife is of hearing me practice it.
What solo?
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

The closures and cancellations are coming thick and fast; I think it was mostly a matter of someone having to make the first move (and a nudge from the governor didn't hurt). It seems most colleges are taking steps to transition to online instruction wherever possible. So far, K-12's are planning to stay open (but without concerts, athletic events etc.); not only are there a significant number of students who don't have internet access outside school, but there are a lot of kids who depend of other services provided through schools (school lunch, etc.). One local high school band was on buses headed to the airport to fly to Europe when the work came down.

Bones West will be dark for at least the remainder of March. None of my other groups has announced yet, but I expect at least some of them to follow suit.
AndrewMeronek

Post by AndrewMeronek »

3 gig cancellations, plus one orchestra has its rehearsals tanked, due to being held in a community center that's closed. Fortunately for the orchestra, this is right after a concert, and the next one is in May. We'll see.
“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

norbie2018 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:29 pm
Mikebmiller wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:23 pm We have had one confirmed case in the county so far (SC). Our community band has a concert scheduled a week from Sunday. So far, we are still a go, but that could change. I hope we play as I am doing a solo and am really tired of practicing it. Almost as tired as my wife is of hearing me practice it.
What solo?
Love's Enchantment - Pryor.
norbie2018

Post by norbie2018 »

Mikebmiller wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:08 pm
norbie2018 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:29 pm

What solo?
I hope you do eventually play it - good luck!
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

One of my two Senior Center dances is cancelled until further notice. I suspect the other one is not long to follow. As one of the high risk individuals (over 70, high blood pressure, diabetes) I guess it's for the best. Don't breathe on me! :)
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
bkessler

Post by bkessler »

Here in SE Michigan, nearly everything is being cancelled. Most of the schools and universities are shutting down, at least temporarily. The community band I play in and the community orchestra my wife plays in have both ended the season early, and gigs are dropping quickly. I have a feeling there's not going to be much live music over the next month or two.
pmeiden

Post by pmeiden »

Yesterday NY State banned gatherings >500 people, do Broadway has gone dark, and all of the other larger hall performing arts orgs have closed. I subscribe to the NY Phil and they emailed to tell me that the Mar 29 concert that is in my series has been cancelled.

The community college my wife teaches at was on spring break this past week. They have extended break through the end of next week, and are resuming the week after using virtual learning.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

My wife works at the Census. They are trying to figure out what to do. Lots of things are "in the air". In theory the Census counts everybody where they are on April 1, 2020. They planned to count college students at their colleges. But a lot of the students will be on extended break or distance learning at the time. Do they get counted at school or where they physically are? Interesting question (and no, I don't have the answer).
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

3 groups I play with have suspended operations, including 2 colleges. My quartet has 2 members 70+, so we're not meeting either.
Tarkus697

Post by Tarkus697 »

My concert band has canceled rehearsal next week and the board is having a meeting next week to discuss moving forward or cancellation of our spring concert.

My wedding/events band management has canceled all showcases for March and we're waiting to hear about our scheduled gig at the end of March.
------------------------------------------
Alan W. Verostick
Strangers
Philadelphia Freedom Band
Love City Horns
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

Big band rehearses in an a nursing home, suspended for two weeks as of now (our band leader's decision) and I expect the home to make their own decision to kick us out for longer. Community band practices at a church; last Monday's rehearsal the director said we will keep going, but I bet the church will have other plans. Our gigs at nursing homes are supposed to start in a few weeks, which I doubt we'll be playing.

Edit: while I was typing the above comment, an e-mail came in saying the church has suspended all public events, including our rehearsals, until March 30 at least. Hey, now would be a good time to take my 7B in for service!
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
Ndwood

Post by Ndwood »

I'm located in NYC - I'm playing a musical in Westchester that surprisingly hasn't been cancelled but in general the cancellations have been catastrophic for freelancers here. Many have lost thousands of dollars worth of work essentially overnight. It seems like a lot of national or regional tours are also cancelling shows. Now would be a great time to try to take some virtual lessons with out of work freelancers!
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

norbie2018 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:34 pm
Mikebmiller wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:08 pm

I hope you do eventually play it - good luck!
Thanks. I first heard it on Alessi's Illuminations CD some years back. Then I found it in the book of Pryor solos that Carl Fischer publishes and played it with a piano at a trombone camp about 10 years ago. Finding the band parts was quite a challenge. We eventually got them from the Chatfield Band Library in Minnesota. They were printed on the backside of something called "calling all workers," which sounds like it might be the official Communist Party march.

It's not as technically hard as something like Blue Bells, but is really pretty. And it looks like we postponing the concert as of now, so my wife will have to suffer even longer.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

BGuttman wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:06 pm One of my two Senior Center dances is cancelled until further notice. I suspect the other one is not long to follow. As one of the high risk individuals (over 70, high blood pressure, diabetes) I guess it's for the best. Don't breathe on me! :)
Well, another shoe has dropped. The other Senior Center has cancelled our dances until further notice (as well as all other activities). I surely hope that a 2 week quarantine of the country will "break" the pandemic.

Good luck to all you Gig workers. I hope our dysfunctional government comes up with some kind of safety net for you.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Mikebmiller wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:14 amThey were printed on the backside of something called "calling all workers," which sounds like it might be the official Communist Party march.
Maybe related to the Industrial Workers of the World, which was founded in 1905. I could see them having their own march. They were a pretty big deal in the first part of the 20th century.
RConrad

Post by RConrad »

Well my concert this weekend just got postponed and all my classes went online as of today. I'm actually listening to a lecture right now. lol
Robert C

Return to “Gigs, Events, Jobs, & Vacancies”