Coronavirus

Looking for opportunities?
bigbandbone

Re: Coronavirus

Post by bigbandbone »

Well, it's official! All of my rehearsals, concerts, and gigs here in SW Florida are cancelled! Guess I'll just have to lay around to pool and drink scotch! Seriously, it's a shame. I've got a new mouthpiece coming tomorrow and I really wanted to give it the "trial by fire".
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

At this point, this thread could probably be retitled "What We're NOT Doing".
FullPedalTrombonist

Post by FullPedalTrombonist »

I was just at WinCo to buy some “hangover food” for a 12hr gaming stream this weekend and checked out the paper goods aisle just for fun. Because that’s fun. Completely empty. People are nuts.

Symphony, musicals, and rehearsals for jazz bands have been cancelled for me. So when I’m back from vacation I’ll have to open up some wine and get to spring cleaning early with the extra vacation
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

JohnL wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:08 pm
Mikebmiller wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:14 amThey were printed on the backside of something called "calling all workers," which sounds like it might be the official Communist Party march.
Maybe related to the Industrial Workers of the World, which was founded in 1905. I could see them having their own march. They were a pretty big deal in the first part of the 20th century.
You can still be a Wobbly!

https://www.iww.org

And it looks like the song was for the Red Cross supplies workers:

https://landofllostcontent.blogspot.com ... rkers.html
LeTromboniste

Post by LeTromboniste »

Got back from the masterclass I was giving to grab a quick bite before my dress rehearsal, only to find out that was cancelled along with the concert tomorrow. Sigh. At least we're getting paid for that one anyway, but it's probably the last income I'll be getting for three or four months...Though times ahead. Now struggling to change my travel arrangements so I can get home as quick as possible and attack the pile of office work that's been staring at me for months.
Maximilien Brisson
www.maximilienbrisson.com
Lecturer for baroque trombone,
Hfk Bremen/University of the Arts Bremen
Kevbach33

Post by Kevbach33 »

My jazz band has cancelled all rehearsals until further notice, and a gig we had lined up, potentially, on May 2nd is also a no go. We rehearse in the Kirkland area, an epicenter for Washington State, so it's understandable our band leader wants none of it to spread to the band.

Guess i should schedule a couple of my horns to get serviced in the meantime...
Kevin Afflerbach
'57 Conn 6H, Warburton 9M/9D/T3★
'62 Holton 168, Bach 5GL
Getzen 1052FD Eterna, Pickett 1.5S
F. Schmidt 2103 BBb Tuba, Laskey 30G
Wessex Tubas TE360P Bombino
John Packer JP274MKII Euphonium, Robert Tucci RT-7C
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

A significant number of band members voted in favour of rehearsal tomorrow.

I really feel as if I don’t have enough information to make an informed decision. Anything seems possible. I have no idea what are reasonable precautions. I’m pretty sure sitting in close quarters, huffing and puffing, not to mention those pools of saliva and viruses, is not the best idea.
norbie2018

Post by norbie2018 »

If you're elderly and/or have a compromised immune system you should avoid crowds until further notice.
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

norbie2018 wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:06 am If you're elderly and/or have a compromised immune system you should avoid crowds until further notice.
I don't think thats quite enough.
Even if you are not old or at risk, you should avoid crowds as you may well have the virus in you without knowing it. So you can transmit it without being sick. Here in Switzerland thats why schools have been closed. Children aren't at risk, but they transmit the virus. Bring it home and transmit it to their grand parents.
ƒƒ---------------------------------------------------ƒƒ
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
norbie2018

Post by norbie2018 »

You are probably right, but I was addressing Bach5g's situation specifically.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Unfortunately, we have 2 subs lined up in the bone section and I have one of the books.
paulyg

Post by paulyg »

Every single concert I've been scheduled to play has been cancelled. Mine are community gags.

Every single pro/semi-pro group around here has cancelled their performances too (or had them cancelled by local governments).

Lots of musicians feeling the pain. But, lots of others feeling it, too.

I would definitely say that any rehearsals/concerts that are not financially necessary for the members should be cancelled outright. No need to risk lives for your community band. I'll also point out that putting the decision to postpone or cancel rehearsals and concerts to a vote is fine, but voting to hold these events is voting against the recommendations of public health officials.
Paul Gilles
Aerospace Engineer & Trombone Player
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

One of the groups I participate in consists of a lot of older players; a good thing since we rehearse on Friday mornings. They decided to cancel rehearsals for two weeks. The lead trumpet player (also over 50) was livid and complained that we should rehearse. While the chances that we'd contaminate each other are small, I disagree with him (lead trumpet). We have entered a sort of national self quarantine. Anybody coming down with the illness will endure it alone and not spread it to others. In a couple of weeks the most contagious folks will be over it and we can resume our gregarious activity.

Had just about everything scheduled for the next two weeks except for doctor appointments and an appointment to put my car in the body shop cancelled. Gonna treat it like a staycation. I feel for those in the gig economy who will lose out on precious income.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Turtlebone

Post by Turtlebone »

My local performing arts center up here in Washington just cancelled Chicago, which was set to open next week and run for three weeks. It's a shame... so much fun being on stage with the cast. Really hoping we are able to reschedule it for later this year.

All other groups I play with have canceled rehearsals. Might manage to keep the brass quintet going if we can find a space which still be open for us.

Church is moving online tomorrow. Strange times.
SimmonsTrombone

Post by SimmonsTrombone »

BGuttman,
With hand sanitizers difficult to find, I’m looking at making my own using isopropyl alcohol and aloe Vera. The CDC says sanitizer needs to be 60% alcohol to be effective on this virus. Would this be a weight or volume measurement? Is 70% isopropyl alcohol weight or volume?
EdwardSolomon

Post by EdwardSolomon »

My orchestra is subject to the 6-week suspension of all public events at the university where we perform, so our concert a week today has been cancelled. It's a great pity, but completely understandable. Even if it went ahead, it would be to a virtually empty auditorium. The financial burden of these cancellations on individual musicians is incalculable, but sure to be utterly crippling.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

SimmonsTrombone wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:22 am BGuttman,
With hand sanitizers difficult to find, I’m looking at making my own using isopropyl alcohol and aloe Vera. The CDC says sanitizer needs to be 60% alcohol to be effective on this virus. Would this be a weight or volume measurement? Is 70% isopropyl alcohol weight or volume?
There are a few warnings against making your own hand sanitizer. Also, alcohol tends to dry out your skin. Also, this virus has a shell that is easily destroyed by soap. No need for alcohol.

70% isopropyl alcohol is generally by volume (although by weight is pretty close anyway). That won't allow for much aloe vera. You may need to use 91% isopropyl alcohol instead.

I was thinking of making this:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5XnrK6iSCE
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
SimmonsTrombone

Post by SimmonsTrombone »

Ha.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

]\\New Hampshire's governor has now closed schools through April 2. I think this may be a tad too long, but it's now panic time for the politicians. I hope that by April 2, all the people coming down with Covid-19 are done with it.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

BGuttman wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:31 pm ]\\New Hampshire's governor has now closed schools through April 2. I think this may be a tad too long, but it's now panic time for the politicians. I hope that by April 2, all the people coming down with Covid-19 are done with it.
I think it's going to end up being quite a bit longer than that.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
norbie2018

Post by norbie2018 »

BGuttman wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:31 pm ]\\New Hampshire's governor has now closed schools through April 2. I think this may be a tad too long, but it's now panic time for the politicians. I hope that by April 2, all the people coming down with Covid-19 are done with it.
Our schools in Dane County, WI (Madison) are now closed until April 2. It will most likely be longer. Plan on the spread of the virus to lay much longer.
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

All rehearsals cancelled and all my engagements are cancelled for the rest of month Mars.

/Tom
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

I belong to a neighborhood group on Yahoo. One guy posted that if any seniors needed help i.e. pickup of medication, grocery shopping, etc. let him know. Several others chimed in offering the same. One person is contacting the senior centers letting them know about the offers of assistance. Another is going to call the seniors on her street and offer help. With all the hype, hysteria, bad information, hoarding, and price gouging I hear about, it sure was nice to know some people in my neighborhood care about the well-being of others.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
Grah

Post by Grah »

I am starting to think that we musicians are probably in more danger than most others when in contact with our band mates. This is because "coronavirus transmission typically takes place when droplets from an infected person enter another person's mouth or nose, including through a cough, sneeze or kiss". Just think about the extra danger we face with musicians using their spit valves and tonguing (spitting} into their instruments as part of playing their instrument.

Of course, for other musicians to be dangerous to one, they have to be suffering from the virus. But I am seriously thinking of staying away from band practices and gigs, because it is better to be safe than sorry.
Grah

(Transcribing jazz solos is fraught with difficulties because exact rhythmic notation is well-nigh impossible. So listen carefully because it's the only way to learn how to play jazz trombone so that we can return to the Golden Age.) 8-)
Grah

Post by Grah »

And I just got the word from my community band that concerts have been cancelled. Plus this:
"Further to the above, we feel it is our responsibility to look after the welfare of our members and the wider community, and have taken the decision to cancel all rehearsals for all bands for the next two weeks. At this stage rehearsals will recommence in the week beginning 31st March. Please continue to practice your music at home, following the rehearsal plans and/or concert repertoire based on upcoming events."

Sensible decision, in my opinion.
Grah

(Transcribing jazz solos is fraught with difficulties because exact rhythmic notation is well-nigh impossible. So listen carefully because it's the only way to learn how to play jazz trombone so that we can return to the Golden Age.) 8-)
Kevbach33

Post by Kevbach33 »

Burgerbob wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:40 pm
Here in Washington, all schools have been closed until a minimum of April 24th. Since we're one of the hardest hit states at the moment, our governor is not taking chances with spreading the virus any more than it has.

Panic time indeed. I get the feeling this will only start slowing down sometime in May, once spring really kicks in.
Kevin Afflerbach
'57 Conn 6H, Warburton 9M/9D/T3★
'62 Holton 168, Bach 5GL
Getzen 1052FD Eterna, Pickett 1.5S
F. Schmidt 2103 BBb Tuba, Laskey 30G
Wessex Tubas TE360P Bombino
John Packer JP274MKII Euphonium, Robert Tucci RT-7C
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

CDC has just announced all gatherings of 50 or more should be banned for 8 weeks. Two months from now, folks.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

At least the darn viruses can't travel along wires. We can continue to chat here.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

Kevbach33 wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:19 pm

Here in Washington, all schools have been closed until a minimum of April 24th. Since we're one of the hardest hit states at the moment, our governor is not taking chances with spreading the virus any more than it has.

Panic time indeed. I get the feeling this will only start slowing down sometime in May, once spring really kicks in.
Man... here in Switzerland schools are closed until April 30th, and we all know it will probably be longer. The virus is here since longer than in the US. So expect to close schools even longer than here.
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
Ted

Post by Ted »

Everything is cancelled up to the 6th of April. including the Dutch wind band championships we were participating in. The first time in 15 years our band goes to a championship, we're pretty on fire, and now it's all for nothing.. Well, as our director tells us: the journey is more important than the end result. But no result at all is very unsatisfying.
LeTromboniste

Post by LeTromboniste »

Yeah this is going to be a 2-3 months thing, not 2-3 weeks. Switzerland has had it for already 3 weeks now and hasn't reached the peak yet.
Maximilien Brisson
Tarkus697

Post by Tarkus697 »

It's the low season for weddings and such right now, with only one gig scheduled for the end of March, and we haven't heard anything about that yet. We are pretty confident that it'll be cancelled/rescheduled though.

As for my concert band, tonight's rehearsal was cancelled and the board is meeting on Sunday to determine the path forward as we have a concert scheduled for late April.

As for my day job, that's also centered around events (reunions and homecomings) and we've already had 2 customers cancel events and we're predicting more this week, at least for the early season in May. June events may happen, but no one is sure yet. Lots of meetings this week.
------------------------------------------
Alan W. Verostick
Strangers
Philadelphia Freedom Band
Love City Horns
ddsbstrb

Post by ddsbstrb »

Here in SW Ohio, most gigs have been cancelled. The Ohio Valley British Brass Band, which I play Bb tuba, lost our rehearsal space. We work out of Wright State University in Dayton. We secured a back up space at a local high school and they have closed for at least 3 weeks. We also had a combined concert with the Brass Band of Columbus, which has been postponed. In Ohio any assembly of over 100 people is not allowed. I even heard the national British Brass Band Competition in Fort Wayne IN by NABBA, has also been cancelled for 2020.

I am an adjunct at Wittenberg University and all face-to-face teaching has ended until April 6th. Management state we could end up like many Ohio colleges/universities and cancel all face-to-face for current semester. We go online, today. Kind of difficult as we were on spring break last week and my two students do not have either their good trombones nor their music and books, at home. That really complicates teaching for applied teachers.

The Springfield Symphony cancelled a rehearsal and two Children's Concerts last Wednesday and Thursday, because our venue, Clark State Comm. College Performing Arts Center closes after a Blue Man Group sold out house on last Tuesday. Unfortunately, the SSO Office is also located within the Performing Arts Center. I assume our office staff must be working from their homes.

The Dayton Jazz Orchestra were cancelled, yesterday, for our monthly gig at Mother Stewart's Brewery in downtown Springfield. We have an appearance at Mother Stewart's annual jazz Sunday, on April 5th is on wait-and-see.

I also had a retirement village gig at Otterbein-Lebanon, cancelled. That was this Friday and was supposed to be a 1940's dance. I think visitation to places like nursing homes and senior citizens retirement and assisted living has been restricted or limited by the State of OH.

I have a former trumpet student, who lives and works in Italy, by the name of Tom Kirkpatrick, and, we have exchanged several emails. He was scheduled to come back to OH and visit his 90 year old mother and do a tour with several jazz gigs and teach at several places in the US. Of course, the Italians are much worse-off than we are, at this stage of the virus.

Interesting reading your experiences.
Denny Seifried
Adjunct Trombone Instructor
Wittenberg Univ. Dept. of Music
bimmerman

Post by bimmerman »

Well, bay area has gone into effective lockdown now-- we've been ordered to shelter in place until April 7th unless things change.
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

Just to confirm some things rumored above: (1) The 2020 NABBA Championships are canceled. (2) The Dublin (OH) Festival of Brass is canceled. (3) The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is dark at least through April 4. Expect that this will be extended to cancel the season.

On a personal note, all of the ensembles I play with are dark until further notice. One season is canceled entirely. I was going to play in the pit for a local production of Singing in the Rain. This is now officially on-hold, and I fully expect it to be canceled.

It's a really tough time to be a professional musician: my prayers and best wishes go out to all of you who make your livings bringing music to the world.
DougHulme

Post by DougHulme »

Across the pond shutting down now too, even though we are comparitevly less effected at the moment. All the ensembles I play for are cancelled both gigs and rehearsals. One of them until September. I have a cottage in Finland - wont be going there either the whole country is in lock down and no groups of more than 10 are allowed to meet, all schools and public buildings in the entire country are closed including churches. The world is full of fear just now... Doug
ExZacLee

Post by ExZacLee »

So, gig cancellations out the wazoo. I can't gripe too much, school check is still coming in, although I wonder what kind of damage this will do to the tax revenues public institutions like mine rely on... if I still have a job in the fall I'll thank my lucky stars. What gigs I do get until this clears up I'll probably pass on to my younger colleagues who are losing so much work.

I'm working on charts for a recording session in LA that might be cancelled, so glad I got 50% up front on that... I really hope it stays on the books - some other guys I know are on that session and they've lost enough work as it is.

We had a Bob McChesney with the Edmond Jazz Orchestra show scheduled at the UCO Jazz Lab on sunday that was cancelled - that will be rescheduled for a later date. Been working on that for a while, that was a real bummer. Had some new charts I wanted to try out, but at least we'll have time to practice on them!

I hope everyone is staying safe and healthy.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

I woke up early this morning to find an email informing me I can work from home until further notice.

Meanwhile, I see the Canadian dollar is taking a beating. It will cost me $1.40 CDN to buy $1.00 USD.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Bach5G wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:02 am ...
Meanwhile, I see the Canadian dollar is taking a beating. It will cost me $1.40 CDN to buy $1.00 USD.
Everything is taking a beating. I'm afraid to look at the 401k I've been counting on for supporting my retirement. Glad I recently told them to lower my stock percentage.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

BGuttman wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:21 am
Bach5G wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:02 am ...
Everything is taking a beating. I'm afraid to look at the 401k I've been counting on for supporting my retirement. Glad I recently told them to lower my stock percentage.
You’ll have to move to some third world shithole country where the cost of living is cheap for ex-pat Americans. Welcome to Canada.
Gary

Post by Gary »

BGuttman wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:21 amI'm afraid to look at the 401k I've been counting on for supporting my retirement. Glad I recently told them to lower my stock percentage.
One never retires, :biggrin: .
LeTromboniste

Post by LeTromboniste »

Yeah the Canadian dollar is really tanking, and the Swiss franc somehow managed to stay strong despite the situation being pretty dire here. I regret not transferring money to my Swiss account when it wasn't as bad, and dread the day in two or three months where I'm going to run out of francs and need to tap into my Canadian income to pay the bills...
Maximilien Brisson
pmeiden

Post by pmeiden »

Yeah - NYC schools are closed at least through April 20. That said, the fact that they were scheduled to be closed from April 9 to 17th for Spring Recess (i.e., Easter/Passover) it kind of doesn't make sense to reopen for just a few days in early April.

Most suburban NY districts are closed a minimum of 2 weeks right now, but I'm sure that will change.

Westchester Community College, where my wife teaches extended Spring break (which was last week) to include this week, and they are prepping to resume instruction (online only) next week, for a least a week, likely more.

Good luck all and stay healthy!

~pme
RoscoTrombone

Post by RoscoTrombone »

This is such a strange and anxious time, it's affecting everything we do and it's impossible to completely switch off. It's like being in a never ending episode of the Twilight Zone!

All of my rehearsals/concerts are off, swimming pools/libraries etc are closing yet it's carry on as normal in the schools! My local high school has 16 staff off so they are keeping the seniors in & rotating the other years so only 2 of 3 are in.

Two other high schools are doing the same as of tomorrow. I've been in 5 schools in 2 days mixing with all the "super" carriers. One of my colleagues with asthma was told by a council officer that off it's not "chronic" then she has to come in to work otherwise she won't get paid. Her doctor has subsequently signed her off for the next 2 weeks.

I think they're doing their damnedest to keep the schools open until our Easter holiday! When they do close the schools I have about 45 meters of fencing to give 2 coats so at least that will keep me occupied!

Take care everyone,

Ross
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

LeTromboniste wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:42 am Yeah the Canadian dollar is really tanking, and the Swiss franc somehow managed to stay strong despite the situation being pretty dire here. I regret not transferring money to my Swiss account when it wasn't as bad, and dread the day in two or three months where I'm going to run out of francs and need to tap into my Canadian income to pay the bills...
Swiss francs always goes up in crisis situations. It is considered as a safe haven because the currency is related to the gold stock of our national banc. Thats of course overly simplified, but it means our banc can't just print money without actually having a real value.
ddsbstrb

Post by ddsbstrb »

I just had a gig cancelled at the end of May! It might have been a wedding? Not great times for the working musician.
Denny Seifried
Adjunct Trombone Instructor
Wittenberg Univ. Dept. of Music
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Right now, there are no working musicians, and won't be for weeks.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

I’ve arranged for a guitar lesson by FaceTime this aft. No driving downtown, no cooped up in a tiny room (it’s too small for a trombone lesson).
EdwardSolomon

Post by EdwardSolomon »

I have had the remainder of this season summarily cancelled. No more prospect of any performance until the start of July at the earliest now. Even my son's bar mitzvah has had to be cancelled/postponed.
Pre59

Post by Pre59 »

I had two jazz gigs a week throughout the year, and some spring weekend festivals. It's all been cancelled until further notice..

Return to “Gigs, Events, Jobs, & Vacancies”