Trombone, Trumpet, Pipe Organ Repertoire?

Looking for opportunities?
patrickosmith

Trombone, Trumpet, Pipe Organ Repertoire?

Post by patrickosmith »

I plan to re-purpose a live concert with a video/audio recording session to limit the number of people to 10.

I'm looking for suggestions on repertoire for pipe organ, trombone, trumpet (any combination thereof).

Performers are:
  • Toby Oft, principal trombone, Boston Symphony Orchestra
  • Christopher Martin, principal trumpet, New York Philharmonic
  • Will Sherwood, principal organist, Mechanics Hall
TheCollector

Re: Trombone, Trumpet, Pipe Organ Repertoire?

Post by TheCollector »

I do not know of something including trumpet but im sure Toby would enjoy Concertante by Gustav Holst for trombone and organ
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

I've also felt that the Morceau Symphonique by Guilmant would sound great with trombone and organ. After all, Guilmant was an organist.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
LeTromboniste

Post by LeTromboniste »

BGuttman wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:24 pm I've also felt that the Morceau Symphonique by Guilmant would sound great with trombone and organ. After all, Guilmant was an organist.
It does, there are a couple of arrangements out there. One is on IMSLP
Maximilien Brisson
www.maximilienbrisson.com
Lecturer for baroque trombone,
Hfk Bremen/University of the Arts Bremen
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

You would have to arrange the repertoire.

For trombone and organ, the obvious choice is Lizst's "Hosanna!". The Morceau symphonique was not intended to be played on organ, but its a cute idea people do because Guilmant was an organist. That is a fairly boring piece to program.

My favorite program for keys and trumpet/trombone was the stuff Hakan Hardenberger and Lindberg did in the 90's -- "A night at the Opera". It was for piano, not organ. I don't think guys of that level (Oft, etc) would want to rehash a signature program that other famous brass players already did.

Isn't it on the performers to produce their own product and sell it?
patrickosmith

Post by patrickosmith »

harrisonreed wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:10 pm Isn't it on the performers to produce their own product and sell it?
Yes, the performers must definitely be on board with the program and I've already asked them for repertoire selections. I decided to ask the trombone chat forum because there might be something of interest.

This whole Covid-19 thing has thrown a monkey wrench into a well-planned live concert program where the repertoire had been agreed upon back in August 2019.

By the way, I'm surprised no one has yet mentioned Ravel's "Pièce en forme de Habanera."

Return to “Gigs, Events, Jobs, & Vacancies”