The Music of Claude Thornhill and Gil Evans at the UCO Jazz Lab, Monday January 28th 2019

Looking for opportunities?
ExZacLee

The Music of Claude Thornhill and Gil Evans at the UCO Jazz Lab, Monday January 28th 2019

Post by ExZacLee »

Hey Forumites!

If you are in Oklahoma, particularly the OKC metro area, the Edmond Jazz Orchestra will have a show at the UCO Jazz Lab featuring the music of Claude Thornhill and Gil Evans with a full big band (+ French Horns).

Vince Norman transcribed most of the Gil Evans charts from the Thornhill era that will be performed on the concert. Vince's father, Red Norman, was the tenor player with Claude Thornhill orchestra on many of their recordings. If you're familiar with the work of Jazz Ambassadors and the Army Field band, you're definitely familiar with Vince's work. In addition to playing tenor with the JA's for some time, Vince was the arranger for the JA's and the AFB until retiring recently. Vince will be playing some of his father's famous solos - and will be tearing it up in general. The guy's a beast!

I have a number of transcriptions I've done from the Miles Davis and Gil Evans collaborations we'll be performing on this concert as well. Before you ask, none of these are for sale or distribution, sorry, you can find published transcriptions for much of this stuff at ejazzlines.com if you're interested. I do not work for nor am I affiliated with them - I just like to plug them for their excellent work in preserving America's music and getting credit and royalties to Gil's family where it's due.

https://calendar.uco.edu/EventDetails.a ... NW5ajJZKDF

if that link doesn't work, paste this into your browser for details:
https://calendar.uco.edu/EventDetails.a ... NW5ajJZKDF

The Edmond Jazz Orchestra is:
Trumpets: Paul Stephens, Ryan Sharp, Clint Rohr, Austin Stunkard and Lee Rucker
French Horns: Peggy Moran and Faith Phelps
Low Brass: Trombones: Evan Drumm, Zac Lee, Katie Pierce, Roger Nunn (bass) and Jeff Kidwell (Tuba)
Woodwinds: Brian Gorrell, Colin Ferrell, Vince Norman, Jared Cathey and Josh Phelps
Piano: Dennis Borycki
Guitar: Clayton Roffey
Bass: Jack Helsley
Drums: Tony Romano

We hope to see you there! Tickets are $20, Students get in for $5 with a student ID. Doors open at 7pm, concert at 8pm. Proceeds support the UCO Jazz studies division. Thank you all in advance for supporting music education and the preservation of America's Music!

Return to “Gigs, Events, Jobs, & Vacancies”