church gigs for high school player

Looking for opportunities?
dylanle

church gigs for high school player

Post by dylanle »

Hey everybody, I'm a sophomore in high school looking to make some $ and hear church gigs can pay pretty well. How do I get one and would they hire high school players?
Gary

Re: church gigs for high school player

Post by Gary »

At your age, mainly through networking.

Begin playing in your own church if you have one, and for pay or not. Meet other players through this and see if there are other opportunities through them. There may be other word-of-mouth gigs you get from school band. If you have a community band near by, consider playing in it and making even more referrals.

Check media, if there are notices on craigslist or union bulletin boards and publications.

Good luck.
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

Church gigs pay well on Easter and for weddings and funerals.

The rest of the time they are low pay or unpaid.

Surprisingly, they will stiff you. At your age you'll have to risk it, but later you'll want to get the check before playing.
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

Email some choir directors in your area and offer your services. Don't expect a huge response. If you can find one to let you play, get the music early and practice it. Mark any strange key signatures or accidentals. Although most church anthems are pretty easy, you want to make a good impression. Show up at least 15 minutes early for rehearsal and dress appropriately. Keep your phone in your pocket during rehearsal and pay attention to what's going on. Play musically - this is not a football game and you are there to supplement the voices, not overwhelm them.

Show up 30 minutes early for the service, again appropriately dressed and groomed. Play well. Be nice to the little old ladies who come up to you after the service. Thank the choir director in person and in an email afterwards.

If you do all this, you are likely to be invited back.
LarryPrestonRoberson

Post by LarryPrestonRoberson »

dylanle wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 9:13 am Hey everybody, I'm a sophomore in high school looking to make some $ and hear church gigs can pay pretty well. How do I get one and would they hire high school players?
Many churches don't have full-time orchestras or instrumental ensembles—usually for special services or once a month. If you can sing too, that is a plus. Many college (and sometimes high school) students have a steady gig(s) supplementing church choirs. Choirs on the other hand, sing every service—special music, anthems, hymns. This is one situation where it's flipped from typical musical situations. Personally, I've made as much, if not more, singing in churches.

Usually, the instrumentalists are being played to accompany a volunteer choir. For instance, the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra Chorus is an all volunteer choir comprises of professional level singers. But it's the orchestra that gets paid. Anyway, I've digressed. It's something to think about. Doubling other instruments is great. But functional singing skills can net you some money in the church music scene. If you don't sing, start learning now; It'll make you a better player—more importantly a better musician—and come in handy if you have aspirations to major in music; You WILL have to sing in college! And if you have good keyboard skills—especially organ—you can always find a gig or be called upon to sub; Even in an era of declining traditional style services.

Another thing to maybe consider, trading playing for lessons. The orchestra director at my church gig is a music educator, very fine trombonist, and pretty good pedagogue. The younger players in our trombone section trade playing time in the orchestra for discounted (possibly free lessons). He has guided many of them through successful All-State auditions, and through networking with professors/instructors, helped them place into colleges and universities.

And definitely keep in mind the fine advice of Mikebmiller and the others. Whether it's free and/or doing something besides playing trombone, treat it as pro gig. One caveat, some churches' bylaws prohibit members from being paid for services or work.
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

Mikebmiller wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 2:47 pm Show up at least 15 minutes early for rehearsal and dress appropriately. Keep your phone in your pocket during rehearsal and pay attention to what's going on.

Show up 30 minutes early for the service, again appropriately dressed and groomed. Play well. Be nice to the little old ladies who come up to you after the service. Thank the choir director in person and in an email afterwards.
Well said. Acting like a professional is easily as important as playing or singing well. My church's recent experience with hired musicians from local colleges has been bad. They have been talented musicians but somehow missed out on instruction about the simple stuff: showing up on time, preparing the music, PUTTING AWAY the $%^& PHONE during rehearsal. We don't coach/mentor them, we just never call again ever. (and we tell all our peers) When you're paid to play you are on the clock the entire time you're there. When another section is singing you are following the music attentively. Etc. It isn't hard, but if you haven't been trained well then you learn by paying careful attention to everything going on around you including, and especially, the local culture.

My pet peeve: trombone players who show up at a new group and warm up, not noticing that this group is trying to get something done while you're blasting away. Warm up beforehand, and always show up with a practice mute if you're going to need any more.
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

timothy42b wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 6:07 am PUTTING AWAY the $%^& PHONE during rehearsal.
This has become a major pet peeve of mine. Every group I play in has people who can't quit messing with their phones the whole rehearsal. And it's not just younger people. If I were the director, I would be throwing things at these people.
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

Mikebmiller wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 7:41 am
timothy42b wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 6:07 am PUTTING AWAY the $%^& PHONE during rehearsal.
This has become a major pet peeve of mine. Every group I play in has people who can't quit messing with their phones the whole rehearsal. And it's not just younger people. If I were the director, I would be throwing things at these people.
I played in a community band and one of the other trombone players, a band director herself, was on her phone constantly during rehearsal. Set a bad example for the high school and college students we had with us for sure.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
Driswood

Post by Driswood »

Mikebmiller wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 7:41 am
Don't get me started...........
Jerry Walker

Happily Retired :good:

1957 Conn 6H
Schilke 47B
1989 Yamaha YSL-684G
Bach 6 3/4C

Return to “Gigs, Events, Jobs, & Vacancies”