Trombone Daily reuploaded one of my videos (rant)

All about making money.
trombonejb

Trombone Daily reuploaded one of my videos (rant)

Post by trombonejb »

Sharing this under music business because copyright pertains to business.

As I was sharing my evolution of animated trombone video ( all over facebook, I couldn't help but to recall that Trombone Daily's private fb group has been excellent for promoting your trombone content on social media. Today I checked to see if it was posted there only to find out I no longer have access to the fb group.

Initially, I was confused since my second orchestra moments video ( was approved in that same group not even a month ago. I reached out to him asking what warranted my restriction from his fb group. What I later found out didn't warrant any direct message to him at all. He reuploaded my first animated characters compilation video (

He also shared it on fb (

Just so everyone's aware, I originally uploaded that video back in January ( I also do not claim ownership to any of the clips used in the video I originally published. But since I did the research, put the video together, and published it, no one else should be legally allowed to reproduce it in its entirety anywhere else.

He did not credit me nor ask me permission to use any part of the video on his youtube channel. Reuploading the whole thing, blocking me from his own facebook group, and turning off comments on his reupload (as well as on his entire youtube channel) sends the message that he knew what he was doing was wrong but chose to do so anyway purely because doing so benefits him.

Don't get me wrong, I support spreading the good news of the trombone all around the world, even if it means sacrificing my time with friends and family to make it happen, but that connection I have with him is meaningless when we don't acknowledge and give credit to the common goal we both share.
Bach 42A - DE Silver XT N104 Rim, XT F+✯Cup, G8 Shank
WilliamLang

Re: Trombone Daily reuploaded one of my videos (rant)

Post by WilliamLang »

so you don't have ownership of material you used, and you're complaining about someone else not having ownership of material they are using?

ok.

everywhere you go, there you are.
William Lang
Interim Instructor, the University of Oklahoma
Stephens Horns Artist
Long Island Brass Artist
faculty, the Longy School of Music
founding member of loadbang
www.williamlang.org
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Dude, you don't have a leg to stand on. Your videos are mostly all copyright violations. Don't be mad when someone steals your stolen content.
robcat2075

Post by robcat2075 »

Hmmm...

It is not the sort of thing that dreams of being the Great American Author were made of but it is possible to claim some authorship rights to a compilation...

Cornell:
Compilation

Under the Copyright Act, a compilation is a "work formed by the collection and assembling of preexisting materials or of data that are selected, coordinated, or arranged in such a way that the resulting work as a whole constitutes an original work of authorship. The term 'compilation' includes collective works." 17 U.S.C. 101. A compilation of mere facts may not be copyrighted. Instead, a compilation may only be copyrighted if there is a creative or original act involved, i.e. in the selection and arrangement of materials. The protection is limited only to the creative or original aspects of the compilation. 17 U.S.C. 103.
But after seeing the video regarding the trombone in animation I'm wondering if there is enough "creative or original" in the compilation to qualify. If someone were to add or subtract one item would they have a new work they get to claim rights to? :idk:

The right to re-use portions of the original works in a compilation is another sticky issue entirely.
>>Robert Holmén<<

Hear me as I play my horn

See my Spacepod movie

Return to “Music Business”