Changing public tastes? Age-out problem?

All about making money.
imsevimse

Re: Changing public tastes? Age-out problem?

Post by imsevimse »

elmsandr wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:33 pm Man, this ain’t that bad…. With this recording, even a good band would sound terrible.

Sure, there’s some intonation troubles…

To be honest this do sound bad but what is good is all the other things. The cheerleaders are good. The band looks okay. Mics are on but only a few instruments are picked up (strange). I would not blame the kids. I have been a music teacher for 13 years I know students sound like that at certain points as they learn. To me the contrast is what makes it funny. Everything looks so good and then the music is not... well not as expected. That's what makes this funny. Here we would never do this. No band here will ever have all those other things in place and then sound like that. Not going to happen here :wink:
Oh, no I dont blame the kids for this, it is not their fault. I hope they keep playing so they will learn eventually. I once sounded like that too and then I had to go practice in the basement and my father got a headache.

/Tom
robcat2075

Post by robcat2075 »

elmsandr wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:33 pm They aren’t the worst by a mile…. Go find one of the bands of kids that aren’t trying and don’t want to be there.
I'm sure they are not the worst, but that would go to my original thesis in this...
robcat2075 wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:02 pm
imsevimse wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:13 pm I thought all the school bands you have in U.S would guarantee both audience and musicians for wind bands?
Problem is... most of them are awful. Something only a parent could love.

They aren't building a fan base for that sort of music.
Still, being not the worst doesn't make them good. It's not the fault of the stadium or the weather or the microphones... there are endless videos on Youtube of better bands performing in similar circumstances and... sounding better.

They're trying and having fun? If that's all the school music program is, then it's not worth funding.

But I don't think they are trying very hard. A show like this is something a band practices every day and performs every Friday night at the school football games. Many weeks of not trying very hard has gotten them to a weak performance like this.

The adults in the room have failed them for allowing this to persist.
>>Robert Holmén<<

Hear me as I play my horn

See my Spacepod movie
atopper333

Post by atopper333 »

harrisonreed wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:39 pm Don't bag on the kids. They are doing their best.
Well, didn’t want it to seem as if I was bagging on the kids at all. That would not be my intent. They are doing their best with what they are given.

In my case, this would be the normal sound in the area live sans recording equipment. This is most likely little to do with talent or will and more to do with budget cuts to feeder programs and lack of qualified or experienced educators…

This is more my mortification with the school system in America. We always see cuts to the arts programs first, as we all know already, which completely deprives the band from any support to help out with night practices, techs to come in and assist with playing/marching…equipment…

Why help out the band when you want to get the sports programs new practice equipment and fancy new uniforms every year. I wouldn’t bag on them for buying the helmets pads, etc…after all, that is safety equipment.

As for this, it’s just sad to see because I know these kids are doing their best. It just seems in most cases our bands have absolutely no support from our schools in the form of funding for equipment/instruction.

My high school band used to do our State’s high grade of Superior most years prior to my attendance. At that time they would do two 3 hour night practices a week during marching season. When I went we got a mixed bag of superiors and excellent after dropping to one night practice a week due to budget cuts and the such and it showed.

This doesn’t even take into effect the current inflation and other economic concerns plaguing our communities.

It’s a much deeper problem and my original comment was meant to be way more complex then ‘making fun of the children.’ We should lift them up and support them as much as possible…I do apologize if it came across that way, definitely not the intent.
atopper333

Post by atopper333 »

robcat2075 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:09 pm
elmsandr wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:33 pm They aren’t the worst by a mile…. Go find one of the bands of kids that aren’t trying and don’t want to be there.
I'm sure they are not the worst, but that would go to my original thesis in this...
robcat2075 wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:02 pm
Problem is... most of them are awful. Something only a parent could love.

They aren't building a fan base for that sort of music.
Still, being not the worst doesn't make them good. It's not the fault of the stadium or the weather or the microphones... there are endless videos on Youtube of better bands performing in similar circumstances and... sounding better.

They're trying and having fun? If that's all the school music program is, then it's not worth funding.

But I don't think they are trying very hard. A show like this is something a band practices every day and performs every Friday night at the school football games. Many weeks of not trying very hard has gotten them to a weak performance like this.

The adults in the room have failed them for allowing this to persist.
I do agree with this as well. Where does the fun end and the discipline begin? Also, when do we become realistic in applicable cases, and tell the children they don’t sound well when they don’t? When do we start holding them back from reality for the sake of not hurting their feelings?
WilliamLang

Post by WilliamLang »

yikes...

the people that have fun, good or not, and take away nice memories of their time playing music are more likely to go to concerts and fund the arts down the road.

edit: i'll add - there's already too many musicians for the amount of jobs everyday. we don't harp on high school english students for not writing novels, and we shouldn't expect everyone that picks up an instrument to have to be pushed to be good. education should be opening doors for kids, and letting them decide where to place their intentions and effort.
William Lang
Interim Instructor, the University of Oklahoma
Stephens Horns Artist
Long Island Brass Artist
faculty, the Longy School of Music
founding member of loadbang
www.williamlang.org
atopper333

Post by atopper333 »

WilliamLang wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:18 pm yikes...

the people that have fun, good or not, and take away nice memories of their time playing music are more likely to go to concerts and fund the arts down the road.

edit: i'll add - there's already too many musicians for the amount of jobs everyday. we don't harp on high school english students for not writing novels, and we shouldn't expect everyone that picks up an instrument to have to be pushed to be good. education should be opening doors for kids, and letting them decide where to place their intentions and effort.
It’s not about being pushed to be great. There should be a balance of the two. On the realistic side, if you send your high school bands to junior highs to recruit, and they sound good…again, doesn’t have to be great, but at least good, will this not encourage more people to join a band on the junior high level?

Is the novel an expectation in an English class? Or is being able to communicate a well formed idea in the form of writing or the ability to read and understand what is written the goal? Hence why there is a minimal standard.

How does one encourage interest in a band on a junior high level with a high school band that sounds horrible? Would it not be the similar showing up to a job interview looking disheveled? Or if you show up to a job interview and the manager that you interview with is disorganized and the work environment poor…does that make you want to work there or stay at that particular place?

It’s not about making professional musicians out of every child, it’s about keeping them interested enough to join to get those fun experiences. If my band is horrible, and it’s already ‘not cool’ to be in the band where I live…then why should I join to make it better.

Don’t get me wrong, fun is important…but there has to be more to it…
robcat2075

Post by robcat2075 »

I'm doubtful that many kids would be harmed or come out with bad memories by being pushed to be good.

Greatness
is hard to come by but being better is within most kids' natural ability. The levers to push them are rarely exercised, however.

They ARE going to spend time getting better at something. The adults in their lives can make some decisions about whether that time is spent on math or the trombone or... "Grand Theft Auto 12".
>>Robert Holmén<<

See my Spacepod movie
WilliamLang

Post by WilliamLang »

they're kids. let them have fun, the world is going to be hard enough for them.

how they're sounding on an instrument in middle school has nothing to do with their potential as a hypothetical future job interview. this is just making up straw men to say "things were better back when, when kids couldn't play video games and were ok being pushed."

trust me, society pushes kids enough. they all know the road ahead is going to be harder for them then it was for their parents. i'm amazed at their strength at every school i go to - "good" or "bad".

this idea that kids can't focus, or that parents aren't involved, or that the standards are lacking in this generation, is a fairy tale, and has been repeated throughout history without ever being true.
William Lang
Interim Instructor, the University of Oklahoma
Stephens Horns Artist
Long Island Brass Artist
faculty, the Longy School of Music
founding member of loadbang
www.williamlang.org
atopper333

Post by atopper333 »

WilliamLang wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:17 pm they're kids. let them have fun, the world is going to be hard enough for them.

how they're sounding on an instrument in middle school has nothing to do with their potential as a hypothetical future job interview. this is just making up straw men to say "things were better back when, when kids couldn't play video games and were ok being pushed."

trust me, society pushes kids enough. they all know the road ahead is going to be harder for them then it was for their parents. i'm amazed at their strength at every school i go to - "good" or "bad".

this idea that kids can't focus, or that parents aren't involved, or that the standards are lacking in this generation, is a fairy tale, and has been repeated throughout history without ever being true.
My comment was not about how they are sounding in junior high…it’s about getting them through the band room door in the first place. The comment was based in recruiting not how mentioned in your response.

A straw man argument is introducing an element to an argument which doesn’t have anything to do with that argument. In this specific case, my comment was about high school bands being used to recruit junior high students to join hence the example of a job interview…

Sure, the world is going to be hard place for them, but shielding them from reality and letting them be kids for the sake of being kids creates unrealistic expectations.

Im not saying things were better ‘back in my day.’ I will say this…straddling the line between pre and post no child left behind act illustrated a night and day difference in schooling.

The idea that they can focus in a similar way as the previous generation is a fairy tale. I’ll use an example…again an example not a straw man argument, look at how information is passed these days. When the average YouTube video is a fraction of the time of a television show and the average time it takes a young teen/preteen to swipe left to the next thing on their feed is seconds…tell me how society is teaching them to focus.

Again, this is not to downplay or minimize what children are going through now…and I am a product of the previous generation doing exactly what you are suggesting, but to believe that this current generation will have the same attributes as any of the previous is a fairy tale as well. They will not have the same skills we had, they will focus different, and pointing this out is not out of line…they just develop different skills to survive in a changing world…which illustrates the context of this post. Band rooms are becoming more empty due to a changing environment, and to reduce the changes in society that are evident as a fairy tale is short sighted.
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

Again, any recording like this where you can only hear one instrument at a time that the camera (and microphone) is directly pointed at.... even a good band will sound bad. Recording outside with the wrong equipment is terrible.

This probably didn't sound great live, but it probably sounded fine. There are a few folks badly out of tune, that'll happen in all sorts of ways outside.

For all of you wanting them to sound "better"... realize that could be very relative to where they started. Do we know that these kids have been playing for years? or did they just start? Does your opinion and response change based on that information?

Weird to contrast that the topic here is nobody coming to concerts and then bagging on the potential audience for said concerts. There's plenty to build on in that video. I'd even argue that fixing the intonation isn't the biggest issue to make it better/more entertaining.

Cheers,
Andy
patrickosmith

Post by patrickosmith »

It is indeed a challenge to find a way to attract the general public to live classical music concerts. This is a sad and nearly hopeless situation.

As an organizer/promoter of classical brass concerts I have had a very difficult time in bringing a paying audience for very moderately priced events with professional grade musicians and world class repertoire and concerts halls. It is very difficult to get the general public to get of their arse to do anything (let alone hear a classical music concert).

Yet I've also noticed that nearly every middle school band concert has all of the seats filled.

My conclusion is that any event that endeavors to attract the general public must have a personal connection. For example, in the middle school band concert scenario "little Johnny playing the whatever" has at least one or two adult family members (often two parents, two grandparents and some siblings). Even with the local schools now resorting to charging admission for these events to bolster their budget. Nearly sold out every time.

But just try to get the public to go hear professional grade brass players from across North America and livestreamed to the world at a world-class concert hall.

This year's "Afternoon of Brass #1" included some great music ... Mahler #2 finale (11 minute version) and John Williams "Hymn to the Fallen" both with brass and chorus ... Dukas "Fanfare from La Peri" with professional brass from across North America ... https://youtu.be/76GMgeOJCcg ... and many more great selections. Did the general public care to attend? No. Difficult situation indeed.

I'm all ears on how to sell/market next year's "Afternoon of Brass #2" to the general public. https://ab2nbe.eventbrite.com/
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

I posted above about the local symph’s upcoming season. Harry Potter etc. Meh.

Meanwhile, the local pro opera has announced its 2022-2023 season (the first since COVID): Pearl Fishers, Midsummer Night’s Dream, Flying Dutchman. I’m definitely interested. A little pricey though.
bwilliams

Post by bwilliams »

patrickosmith wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:58 am
My conclusion is that any event that endeavors to attract the general public must have a personal connection. For example, in the middle school band concert scenario "little Johnny playing the whatever" has at least one or two adult family members (often two parents, two grandparents and some siblings). Even with the local schools now resorting to charging admission for these events to bolster their budget. Nearly sold out every time.
This!!!!
:good:
pmeiden

Post by pmeiden »

I’ve been very lucky to be associated with a few concert bands over my career (HS through non-music university, and business life). I live in suburban NYC, and every summer there’s a summer parks band in Scarsdale NY. The Westchester Band (founded 1969) plays 8 concerts a summer (rehearse Monday play Thursday) and currently numbers about 75 members - core are music teachers and local pros / semi pros, augmented by community members and local students. Concerts draw 250 or so in audience - its in a park, the adjacent street is closed, local delis and restaurants are open. It’s a great night of light classics, marches, show tunes, mystery tune with prizes, etc. Most of the kids in the band go on to major in something other than music, but most keep playing in their university wind ensembles, college town community bands, etc. For many who grew up playing and hearing live music, it is a place where the next generation is engaged, meet people who may or may not music for a living, and realize it OK to play well but do something else. And then they stay with it.

(not) Random example of 1. My daughter played volleyball, basketball and trumpet - all quite well - through HS. She played with me in the band mentioned above as well as its winter iteration. She played basketball and majored in geophysics at Caltech, and played trumpet in the Caltech/Oxy concert band, and Caltech’s commencement brass ensemble. She’s now at Cornell in a PhD program, and is playing tonight with the Ithaca Concert Band. I tend to think the ensemble playing she was exposed to in HS had an impact on sustaining her interest.
robcat2075

Post by robcat2075 »

The argument that they don't need to do well because none of it is important for real life anyway will make for difficulty later when you have to explain why this band thing should be in the tax-payer funded public school curriculum at all.

There are other things that they should do well and will be important in real life. Maybe the funding should go to those? What school board member would not wonder about that?
>>Robert Holmén<<

See my Spacepod movie
afugate

Post by afugate »

Yep, don't bag on the kids. Who knows where they've started and how much work they put in to get where they are. I've worked with some of our local school bands, where they've had revolving band directors - a new one every year. No private lesson teachers. Often, the director du jour has just basic understanding of anything besides their principal instrument.

And yet these kids keep plugging away! :good:

--Andy in OKC
bellend

Post by bellend »

Just to add my tuppence worth, maybe more kids would be inspired to play if they felt more of a conection to the music being played by the ensemble :idk:
Check out this band called MEUTE the crowd are certainly digging it

BellEnd
patrickosmith

Post by patrickosmith »

bellend wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:14 am Just to add my tuppence worth, maybe more kids would be inspired to play if they felt more of a conection to the music being played by the ensemble :idk:

BellEnd
It's one thing to inspire kids to play. It's an entirely different and more challenging thing altogether to get an audience to pay money to listen to a performance.

This was interesting and fun listening. But, I'm guessing no one in the audience actually paid money to see this performance. It's probably an audience of convenience (they happen to be there for something). True?
Fidbone

Post by Fidbone »

patrickosmith wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:54 am
bellend wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:14 am Just to add my tuppence worth, maybe more kids would be inspired to play if they felt more of a conection to the music being played by the ensemble :idk:

BellEnd
It's one thing to inspire kids to play. It's an entirely different and more challenging thing altogether to get an audience to pay money to listen to a performance.

This was interesting and fun listening. But, I'm guessing no one in the audience actually paid money to see this performance. It's probably an audience of convenience (they happen to be there for something). True?
One of my best German friends plays in Meute (the trombonist on this video) and I can tell you they pack out venues wherever they play.
They have had quite an extensive world touring schedule.
They have also been in the German charts! :clever:
bellend

Post by bellend »

Fidbone wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:22 am
patrickosmith wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:54 am

One of my best German friends plays in Meute (the trombonist on this video) and I can tell you they pack out venues wherever they play.

That's great to hear ! Certainly a different take on things

BellEnd
patrickosmith

Post by patrickosmith »

Fidbone wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:22 am One of my best German friends plays in Meute (the trombonist on this video) and I can tell you they pack out venues wherever they play.
That is indeed inspiring.
hornado

Post by hornado »

I formed a volunteer orchestra 6 years ago and found players for all wind positions easily. Strings are a bit harder in the South but we've managed. We only do one free concert a year at the moment. We play mostly video game and film repertoire with one or two "classical" pieces mixed in. Every year we've managed to get 500-700 very enthusiastic age diverse people to come out and attend. I put decent effort into branding and use Eventbrite to track potential attendance. Advertise on facebook/instagram and put out posters.

I've been thinking of spinning off a big band in the same vein.
patrickosmith

Post by patrickosmith »

hornsolo wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:23 pm I formed a volunteer orchestra 6 years ago and found players for all wind positions easily. Strings are a bit harder in the South but we've managed. We only do one free concert a year at the moment. We play mostly video game and film repertoire with one or two "classical" pieces mixed in. Every year we've managed to get 500-700 very enthusiastic age diverse people to come out and attend. I put decent effort into branding and use Eventbrite to track potential attendance. Advertise on facebook/instagram and put out posters.

I just checked out your FB page for The Elsewhen Orchestra. Interesting/compelling description.

What the backstory on the name (Elsewhen)?
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

hornsolo wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:23 pm I formed a volunteer orchestra 6 years ago and found players for all wind positions easily. Strings are a bit harder in the South but we've managed. We only do one free concert a year at the moment. We play mostly video game and film repertoire with one or two "classical" pieces mixed in. Every year we've managed to get 500-700 very enthusiastic age diverse people to come out and attend. I put decent effort into branding and use Eventbrite to track potential attendance. Advertise on facebook/instagram and put out posters.

Source for video game repertoire?
hornado

Post by hornado »

Bach5G wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:41 pm

Source for video game repertoire?
It's difficult. Very little has been officially published. VGO Score on youtube has been the best source. The Musescore community sometimes, but can require editing. If all else fails we have someone who can arrange. Of course this will be much more complicated for a paid group.

You can get Austin Wintory's music directly from him/his website.
Last edited by hornado on Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hornado

Post by hornado »

patrickosmith wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:49 pm

I just checked out your FB page for The Elsewhen Orchestra. Interesting/compelling description.

What the backstory on the name (Elsewhen)?
I just wanted a name that has some scifi/fantasy connection without being too on the nose or inappropriate for more traditional repertoire. I stumbled upon it as a term used in earlier scifi writing to describe another point time.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

In the last few days, I became aware of a big band project involving music from Studio Ghibli. A few months ago, there was a big band playing arrangements of Disney music. They bill themselves as The Happiest Big Band on Earth.

Of course, the last concert our big band did heavily featured the Basie/Nestico canon (hands up who wants to do WindMachine? How about Foo Birds?). Just like 50 years ago.
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

Bach5G wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:36 pm Of course, the last concert our big band did heavily featured the Basie/Nestico canon (hands up who wants to do WindMachine? How about Foo Birds?). Just like 50 years ago.
I happen to play in a "Basie" band with gigs and audience. The band started in 2015 and now has it's own stage at the Olympia Theatre in Stockholm. It is a small theatre in a cellar with maximum 87 seats. We have played there regularly since March 2018 except during pandemic. We do about 20 concerts there in a year. It has been a full house several occasions where people had to turn in the door but then sometimes it's only half full. Depends alot on wether and if there are sports on the television. A lot of Frank Sinatra on the rep. We do not have "The Wind Machine" or "Flight of the Foobird" in our book but we have "I've Got You under my Skin" and "Splanky" and they get appreciation. The audience is above 50 and most around 75-85. We continue as long as we have an audience. We will do 10 more now this autumn.

/Tom
VJOFan

Post by VJOFan »

A few random thoughts related to the original post…

It can be hard for “new blood” to get into groups simply because the bands are filled with players who have been in their chairs for decades. Also, a good player who finds an opening can get demotivated if stuck playing 3rd bone to players whose best days are far behind. (That’s an attitude that doesn’t need to be, but is certainly possible.)

Potential audiences have much better things to do than leave their homes, find parking, maybe arrange child care and spend two hours listening to music possibly not played at a fantastic level. Broad advertising for community groups is a bit of a waste of resources. The competition for entertainment dollars/time is with arena rock shows, touring Broadway productions, Monster Jam, the nearest professional orchestra, t.v. streaming services… the general population probably won’t think of attending an amateur band concert.

But here are models I have seen work.
-A large concert band and a separate large choir require their members to sell a minimum number of tickets to each show they put on. The audiences are mostly filled with friends and family of the musicians.
-A big band had an arrangement with a local entertainment venue and established a four show season that was regular and dependable. The quality of the group was good enough that after a couple beers and if you were dancing, they sounded good. The mailing list of the hall, the social and family connections of the musicians and some targeted work to establish relationships with ballroom dance studios combined to make this a success.
-A brass ensemble meticulously collects the contact information of everyone who comes to their shows and directly advertises through an informal, chatty newsletter and they use the professional model of season ticket packages, guest artists and themed shows

The only way to get an audience is for the group to make people feel connected to the players in some way. The music can’t be the selling point. It has to be a nice hang for the audience. Maybe they will enjoy a tune or two too.
JasonDonnelly

Post by JasonDonnelly »

Hypothetically speaking, if I was a young person (ie. recent HS or college graduate) who enjoyed playing my instrument and had a general interest in performing more music, this is a non-exhaustive list of things that might keep me from joining/remaining in a community ensemble:
  • Nonexistence or lack of adherence to any sort of COVID safety
  • Inferior level of proficiency compared to school groups or other opportunities
  • Less demanding/less interesting repertoire compared to school groups or other opportunities
  • Being remanded to a "lower" chair by default despite the quality of players involved
  • Paying due $$$, as young people are generally broke, the cost of living continues to skyrocket, etc.
  • If a burgeoning pro or semipro musician, no time/energy to devote to unpaid rehearsals and performances
  • Age demographics, potential alienation or older members not being accepting of all identities
There are, of course, community ensembles that do not experience any of these shortcomings, but most people will only have 1 or 2 (more if they're lucky) groups available to them within a reasonable distance. And just the perception that any of these problems might exist may dissuade someone being interested in the first place.
University of Miami - BM Euphonium Performance 21'
Indiana University - MM Bass Trombone and Euphonium 24'

Courtois 551BHRA
Besson Prestige 2052S
Conn 88HSCL
Kuhnl and Hoyer Slokar Alto (Eb/Bb)

Various Greg Black mouthpieces
JKno

Post by JKno »

bellend wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:14 am ...Check out this band called MEUTE the crowd are certainly digging it...
These guys are great fun to listen to!
Macbone1

Post by Macbone1 »

JasonDonnelly wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:49 pm Hypothetically speaking, if I was a young person (ie. recent HS or college graduate) who enjoyed playing my instrument and had a general interest in performing more music, this is a non-exhaustive list of things that might keep me from joining/remaining in a community ensemble:
  • Nonexistence or lack of adherence to any sort of COVID safety
  • Inferior level of proficiency compared to school groups or other opportunities
  • Less demanding/less interesting repertoire compared to school groups or other opportunities
  • Being remanded to a "lower" chair by default despite the quality of players involved
  • Paying due $$$, as young people are generally broke, the cost of living continues to skyrocket, etc.
  • If a burgeoning pro or semipro musician, no time/energy to devote to unpaid rehearsals and performances
  • Age demographics, potential alienation or older members not being accepting of all identities
There are, of course, community ensembles that do not experience any of these shortcomings, but most people will only have 1 or 2 (more if they're lucky) groups available to them within a reasonable distance. And just the perception that any of these problems might exist may dissuade someone being interested in the first place.

I have experienced some or all of these since leaving the Air Force band program, but never NONE of these. So I get it. But every community group has some "bugs in with the berries". Just sitting at home playing out of books only goes so far. Ensembles are natural endurance trainers, and of course listening and ensemble skills, and (the most neglected of all) following a conductor - LOL.
Last edited by Macbone1 on Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
King Jiggs 2BL
Olds Opera
Besson Sovereign Bb/F bass
Holton bass trumpet
B&H Imperial shepherd's crook cornet
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

I can't really envision someone who has played at a professional level (and I definitely include military bands in that category) or in a high level collegiate ensemble being musically fulfilled playing in a typical community band. Too many people like me hanging around.
Macbone1

Post by Macbone1 »

I get it, and thanks for the compliment btw.
I don’t play in typical town bands unless paid, then still say no sometimes. It took me a while but l ingratiated myself into 2 excellent local brass choirs and an orchestra which would challenge almost any player. Those loftier community (unpaid) groups are out there if you can find them.
King Jiggs 2BL
Olds Opera
Holton bass trumpet
patrickosmith

Post by patrickosmith »

This thread has been valuable to me and I welcome additional ideas from the trombone community.

As a former pro-am trombonist looking for higher quality repertoire and groups to perform with I began taking matters into my own hands about 5 years ago. After getting a semblance of my chops back by playing with local community bands, I embarked on a trajectory that has so far met with a measure of success.

First I joined a decent brass band. Second I joined the board of that band and began to influence the programming and repertoire. To do this money talks. I submitted proposals for competitively awarded grants. After winning a bunch of grant mula $$ (which surprised the management) the band was compelled to program my selections in their concerts. When covid hit I disagreed with the management's draconian measures (masks, vaccines and the like) and I have gone my own way. I didn't want to leave but the circumstances were untenable.

I began by forming my own smaller groups (sextets to dectets) to keep things going. Finally I began winning grant mula $$ again and began renting own venues and producing my own concerts. The "Afternoon of Brass #1" concert was held in June 2022. 'Fanfare from La Peri' was the opener for part 2 of that concert: https://youtu.be/76GMgeOJCcg (BTW: I had a blast playing the third trombone part in this outstanding group).

BUT, the issue of small audience size remains the toughest part of all of this. It's not just about paying for expenses with grants. It's about live performance with a large live audience. So much more rewarding.

The Afternoon of Brass #1 offered:
a) Professional brass players from across North America, b) a well-known radio celebrity as emcee, c) one of the finest concert halls in the world, d) magnificent musical repertoire e) livestream to the world. The size of the paying audience was disappointing and almost embarrassing.

I agree with other posters that there must be another angle to attract an audience. It can't simply be about the music. There must be a personal connection of some sort. I like the idea of including music repertoire from "the gaming community" and intend to follow through on that.

I already tried programming music that combined organ, brass and a chorus (50 voices) but I was disappointed that the non-brass elements (viz., chorus and organ) drew very few additional audience members. Perhaps I chose the wrong chorus.

One programming idea I'm currently working for Afternoon of Brass #2 https://ab2nbe.eventbrite.com/ is a concert that combines Shakespeare readings with Prokofiev's "Romeo and Juliette"
https://youtu.be/hqZ3hfxTf3Y I'm not sure how that will turn out yet.

Another idea is to link the program with a non-profit entity that has an existing following. It may be like looking for a unicorn.

Thoughts?
Macbone1

Post by Macbone1 »

patrickosmith, Congrats on your strong initiatives, esp during COVID! Live music can support any variety of causes, and perhaps that can increase audience draw a bit. Advertising must be heavy though, otherwise it will remain the old "family and friends" audience situation. One has to be careful that there is not a political element associated with your cause, however. That could backfire.

YouTube contains videos of great classical music performances "spiced up" by immodest attire on the soloists, etc. While I don't support the practice, it shows how desperate the field is for audience attention.
King Jiggs 2BL
Olds Opera
Holton bass trumpet
musicofnote

Post by musicofnote »

On the one hand and taken completely at face value - I'm so glad I'm in a place where kids can still get a good music education and there are numerous places for that. The level of music education is very high and while there have been some problems, mostly coming from the fact that most music education programs do no take place in the schools per se, but rather in satellite music schools after school instruction hours, most middle and high schools (for lack of better terms, since the school system do not equate 1:1 with US school system) do offer music, drawing on those kids who started at such satellite music schools and form project ensembles during school time. IOW, the music teacher in the public school is there to use the prodcut of the satellite schools for project work. but the kids here too only have so much free time to split between sport clubs, music private lessons (at those satellite schools), theatre, dance and free time AND school work. Both my wife and I taught music for decades here in such a "satellite" music school and know how difficult it was to arrange lesson times.

On the other hand, as I've kept up with some old buddies from high school and college in the US, as well as a student of mine who immigrate from Germany to WA. and have heard what they've had to put up with in budget cuts, teaching-to-testing, and more, I'm glad I got out when I did in the 70's. One high school buddy was edged out of his middle school position, first by cutting his music hours, then forcing him to take over a wood shop section, reducing his supply-budget in both to $0 meaning he had to fund-raise to keep existing instruments in repair while also buying his own wood for wood shop ... all until in a "take-it-or-leave-it" move by the administration, he was forced to take early retirement with no replacement for him either for music or for wood shop. Another, in a small bit of foresight, got certified also for teaching Spanish. He's no longer given any time to recruit from the elementary school and his band/choir program has melted by 60% in the last 5 years. So he's fortunate he's got his Spanish certification. And of course, no replacement for his music classes.

My own old high school is a so-called "academic high school" which in my day there had an orchestra that did Mahler 1 in my last year. The next year they did Scheherazade. I was actively recruited from my Jr. High. No longer allowed. The music program there is almost dead. Budget cuts mostly but also emphasis towards supporting academics even more while sacrificing the arts as a whole. It's seen as an "either-or" situation. Never heard of Orff or Kodaly, I guess and are not interested.

But in the long term this is a direct result of a shift in general attitudes to more "me, me, me and screw you". Every parent already realises, that the education one got in their day didn't really prepare them for a world no one knew would exist back then, and certainly can't do any better for their own kids, but the main job today of teachers, as we saw during COVID, was not to teach, but rather to babysit the rug rats. Well, ok - how else could both parents go out and earn enough to support a family including the huge pick-ups and muscle cars? My jaw dropped whating the people in their vehicles in free-food give-away line. Not the "poor folks" I remember. I remember in my first years of teaching in the US at a Catholic school, as a lark I programmed Hava Nagila for the beginning band for the Christmas concert. Kids, parents and clergy loved that. I bet doing something like that today would get me fired.

No, I'm fine where I am and there is a sadness mixed in with a good portion of Schadenfreude .... Most of what music ed in the US has become has been for the most part self-inflicted with the help for bond initiatives for the schools being shot down while more pressure gets exerted on folks to earn money. It's a vicious circle that I, from the cheap seats, don't see ending anytime soon, because no one really has an interest in doing so.
Mostly:
Yamaha Xeno 822G with a Greg Black 1 3/8 medium or Wedge 110G Gen 2 (.300" throat)

Very seldom:
Rath R400 with a Wedge 4G

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it."
BrassSection

Post by BrassSection »

Here in central Pennsylvania we are fortunate, there’s a local group known as Altoona Brass Collective, made up of 20+ members, many are local music educators, and many play in orchestras in their respective home areas. Top notch group, most arrangements done by one of the horn players, and the remaining by a bone player. Music is varied from classics to rock music to hymns. All concerts are free, but there is a donation basket.

Most performances are in local, often historic, churches, and some outdoor. Attendance is usually good, group gets many standing O’s. Performances last up to 2 hours, crowds seem to enjoy it. Attendees mixture of ages from young to old.

In addition, the is a community band, open to anybody interested. I’ve heard them perform and they have a good group of musicians from young to old. If I had more free time, I’d join as would my daughter and probably my grandson.
Cmillar

Post by Cmillar »

Those of us who were in high school bands in the 1970's were very fortunate.

We were playing band arrangements (and 'stage band' arrangements) of the pop tunes of the day. And what great music it was! (ie: Chicago, BST, EWF, disco, excellent power rock, etc. etc.)

Totally fun to play and inpiring.

And, to top it off, we had Maynard Ferguson touring all over and playing totally exciting, accessible, and I might add, very artful music.

It was a great time to be a young musician and to be inspired.

The last generation? Not so lucky. There's not much pop music that translates well to concert or jazz bands.

What are they going to play?
Jazzed up Drake? (that's impossible....his music is too lame to begin with)
Ed Sheeran? (play a loop over and over?)
Adele? (kind of mocus)
Lizzo? (really?)
etc. etc. etc.

OK, their are good tunes by Bruno Mars and Justin Timberlake that get people grooving, but most of the top hits of today are copies of tunes or re-makes of hits and styles from 'the good old days'.

So, maybe it's time for enlightened high school band teachers to dig out some of the 'old stuff'?
Try to get the next generation inspired somehow.

Children who have parents that play a variety of music at home are very fortunate these days.

I do put some faith in the fact that there will always be some kids who find ways to discover other types of music other than what the corporate radio and the corporate streaming services want to make their money on.

We need to help those youthful musicians now more than ever.

Return to “Music Business”