Shipping costs

All about making money.
Bach5G

Shipping costs

Post by Bach5G »

I shipped a case recently.

The box weighed 11 lbs and the dimensions were 34 x 19 x 18 inches.

My shipper, which I’ve used for years, charged about $160 for Fed Ex.

Tonight I ran the weight and size through the Fed Ex shipping estimator and it looks like there was an option that cost about $60, which is more in line with what I expected.

Anyone ship a case across the country (US) recently? Cost?
bigbandbone

Re: Shipping costs

Post by bigbandbone »

The last time I shipped a small bore in it's case it cost $110. For me in Ohio the big delineator seems to be the Mississippi River. East of the river prices are reasonable. West of the Mississippi, they want the deed to your house and first born child!
A good percentage of my repair business before I closed my tool box was overhauling and re-selling instruments. Rising shipping costs caused me to stop doing Tenor Saxes and Trombones.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

USPS has certain dimensions over which the cost gets ridiculous. There's a break where it will jump from $60 to $160, as you say. I've had to cut a box down a couple of inches in one direction to save $100. Make sure you're not shipping a bigger box than you need to. A couple inches for packing materials, but don't get carried away with it.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

I have shipped dozens of case sized packages with USPS. I think maybe once I have gone over 100 dollars, and that was with a huge insurance amount. Stop using FedEx or UPS for shipping trombones and you won't have that problem.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Actually, the conversation was along the lines of “What about USPS? It’s usually less expensive.” In this case, according to the screen, it was not.

I’m going back today to talk with them and to make sure I was charged properly.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

There was a rather lengthy discussion last year about USPS losing someone's stuff and having difficulty getting compensation. It would be worth checking that thread out too, there are a lot of nuances in the different services offered. E.g. nobody offers literal insurance. So the various levels of pricing do tend to reflect differences in service if you define service beyond "Getting your thing from point a to point b" and include things like the chance of it getting lost, speed, etc.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Every shipping company is a gamble, and I'm not sure any are just miles ahead. I prefer to go the cheaper route in that case.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

Fed Ex sucks. I only use USPS. Don't use a third party shipper. Why?
Brad Close Brass Instruments - brassmedic.com
HeyMan

Post by HeyMan »

One of the safest and most economical ways to ship, using USPS, is via Registered Mail. The package must be "plain brown wrapper", so to speak. The packages have to be sealed with glue, or plain paper tape, because they will be hand-stamped at every stop along the way during the shipping process. While in transit, these packages stay in a special area in the vehicle, near the driver. And, if they're not moving, they are placed in a locked room. Needless to say, it's going to take longer... but, the package receives the VIP treatment every step of the way. It's definitely worth considering this option.
Yamaha YSL-651
"Hey, Man!" was "The Chief's" customary greeting. Emory B. Remington - Dec. 22, 1892 - Dec. 19, 1971
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

I have shipped hundreds of horns over the past several years. Here is what I know:

USPS rates went up a while ago (6-8 weeks?). Shipping within a region or two in the US is fine; shipping cross-country is now typically $95 - whether it is Parcel Select or Priority (used to be about $65 and $95, respectively). I usually buy USPS postage using PayPal or Stamps.com. They will both give you a commercial rate. PayPal will get you an ever bigger discount with UPS. So, lately, all my horns have gone with UPS Ground. I have had very rare instances of bell damage - probably due to my underpacking the horn - with USPS and UPS. If you pack a horn well, things usually work out. For FedEx, I can't find good rates unless I sell on Reverb. Reverb makes buying postage easy - USPS and FedEx only.

Happy packing!
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

I bought a $100 case from MF with free shipping and paid $160 to ship a case.

Scratching my head.
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

I shipped a 3B in a coffin case from SC to Seattle a few weeks ago. Using a UHaul lamp box, with priority mail and $800 insurance, it came to $111 and arrived on time and in good shape. No complaints here.

Return to “Music Business”