Stephen Shires quits SE Shires

All about making money.
SwissTbone

Stephen Shires quits SE Shires

Post by SwissTbone »

ƒƒ---------------------------------------------------ƒƒ
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
Vegastokc

Re: Stephen Shires quits SE Shires

Post by Vegastokc »

Wow, this seems like big news but I suspect some in the know (not me) might not be surprised.
Wasn't there something about him not being 100% in favor of the Eastman "merger"? :idk:
Michael Saffier
I ate twice as much lasagna as I should have...
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

I thought this was old news.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

I’d heard he was building horns but was still involved with SE Shires’ trombone and trumpet business.
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

Burgerbob wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:27 pm I thought this was old news.
He posted it on Facebook today. Some people may have known about it, but a lot of us didn't.
Brad Close Brass Instruments - brassmedic.com
norbie2018

Post by norbie2018 »

Another trombone manufacturer in the States, another set of options - it is a good time to be a trombone player. Well, a trombone player with money. :shuffle:
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

norbie2018 wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:24 pm Another trombone manufacturer in the States, another set of options - it is a good time to be a trombone player. Well, a trombone player with money. :shuffle:
Stephen has a non-compete. He is making french horns, not trombones.
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

I wouldn't think that it would be a big surprise to anyone. He's probably working full time and then some on getting his new company rolling; doesn't leave much time for S. E. Shires.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Burgerbob wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:29 pm
norbie2018 wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:24 pm Another trombone manufacturer in the States, another set of options - it is a good time to be a trombone player. Well, a trombone player with money. :shuffle:
Non-competes usually expire. It’s been around 5 years since Eastman bought the company. Maybe the non-compete expired Dec 31/19?
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Bach5G wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:47 pm

Non-competes usually expire. It’s been around 5 years since Eastman bought the company. Maybe the non-compete expired Dec 31/19?
https://www.stephenshorns.com/
sungfw

Post by sungfw »

Bach5G wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:47 pm
While I'm sure there are exceptions, non-compete clauses, aka, covenants not to compete, typically don't kick in until an employee leaves a company.
Schlitz

Post by Schlitz »

Last edited by Schlitz on Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Shires also makes a euphonium now. https://www.dillonmusic.com/shires-q-se ... onium.html

I'm pretty sure Steve is going to make very nice, custom french horns on his own. And that's it.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Burgerbob wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:23 pm Shires also makes a euphonium now. https://www.dillonmusic.com/shires-q-se ... onium.html

I'm pretty sure Steve is going to make very nice, custom french horns on his own. And that's it.
He spent enough time at Osmun. He should know French Horns pretty well.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

Burgerbob wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:23 pm Shires also makes a euphonium now. https://www.dillonmusic.com/shires-q-se ... onium.html

I recently got to play one of those Q series. Holy cow it played pretty great. I was genuinely surprised. It played in tune and had a good sound. Comparable to any Besson or Wilson out there, if not better than many. I might replace my Besson New Standard with the 41S when I get the dough.

There are two designs now too! And Euro shank models! Hopefully more to come in the future.
https://www.seshires.com/qserieseuphoniums
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

Just out of curiosity, I wonder how many man hours it takes to built a high quality french horn. I bet it is 3 or 4 times as many as a trombone.
timbone

Post by timbone »

Steve is out and Joe is in, or Joe is in and Steve is out?
GabrielRice

Post by GabrielRice »

timbone wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:01 am Steve is out and Joe is in, or Joe is in and Steve is out?
The S. E. Shires Company designed an instrument and established a business relationship with Joe Alessi.

The founder of the company, Steve Shires, was no longer running day-to-day factory operations but was involved in the development of the new Alessi model and the establishment of the relationship.

Then he decided it was time for him to move on. It would be erroneous to assume any connections between these events.

I know Steve well; this was a difficult decision for him to make, but it was coming for a while.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Since the bankruptcy, it isn’t his company anymore, regardless of what it says over the door. He’s moved on and found something else to do. Tired of working for the man (Mr. Eastman)?

The good news is the 2005 Shires I bought at the factory has suddenly increased in value manyfold. Yes, I went to the Hopedale shop, selected the components after hours of comparing various options, and spoke to the great man himself (to be more accurate, I was standing next to GL while SS complained about the cost of his daughter’s orthodontics, IIRC). Still, pre-2020, pre-Eastman, horn. Like a pre-CBS Strat or a pre-Norlin Gibson. I’ll entertain offers, line starts to the right. Tongue’s in the cheek lads.
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

GabeLangfur wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:40 amI know Steve well; this was a difficult decision for him to make, but it was coming for a while.
It's gotta be tough to walk away when it's your name above the door, plus the people you're leaving behind.

OTOH, living in Waterbury Center and working for a company in Holliston, MA? I wouldn't think that would be sustainable, even if he wasn't commuting every day.

When he first started up the new company, I was a little surprised that his initial offering was a fairly conventional Geyer-style layout; I'm sure it's built to a very high standard of craftsmanship, but there's already a LOT of really nice Geyer horns out there - another "really nice Geyer" just isn't going to move the needle. His Series II looks to have the potential to put him on the map.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

timbone wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:01 am Steve is out and Joe is in, or Joe is in and Steve is out?
I thought that it would be a 1-for1 trade too, and that Joe would be building and engraving each Alessi model.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

JohnL wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:27 pm
It's gotta be tough to walk away when it's your name above the door, plus the people you're leaving behind.

OTOH, living in Waterbury Center and working for a company in Holliston, MA? I wouldn't think that would be sustainable, even if he wasn't commuting every day.
Steve has clearly moved on from S. E. Shires; his heart and soul are currently absorbed by the design and manufacture of French horns. And of course life is a little better when the Ben & Jerry's ice cream plant is just around the corner in Waterbury. Holliston is probably by now only a memory.
timbone

Post by timbone »

All these golden parachutes!

Return to “Music Business”