YouTube Copyright ClaimID

All about making money.
harrisonreed

YouTube Copyright ClaimID

Post by harrisonreed »

So, I tried to do upload some music last night to YouTube. I have been working on accompaniment audio files for trombone solos, and thought, "hey, this recording we just did of an organ is sort of different from the other products I have, it's of the public domain version of Liszt's Hosannah and not the Schott version (with the prelude) that everyone knows, it sounds great but we didn't get a chance to record a second interpretation like our other projects -- why don't I use this one as a promotional, free product?"

So, I mastered the audio, put together a nice little video, and uploaded. I kid you not, within 5 seconds, before the video was even processed in the YT Studio system, I received a copyright claim on my work. I have filed a counter-claim, but I already suspect I went about it wrong. I chose "public domain", but I think I should have chosen "I own the copyright", since the recording I did is not PD even though the underlying work is. Probably ten hours of work, including setting up the recording, editing, mastering, just gone, like that.

Anyone else have to deal with this? I'd love to just make the video available anyways, but I refuse to turn YT ads on on my channel. I have no delusions of grandeur, nobody watches my videos, but that is all the more reason to not let someone else profit off of my work.

Should I just take down the video, reupload it, and try to submit with the other dispute option?

In the meantime, sorry gang, I was really excited to put this out and use it as a way to drum up interest in the other projects I'm working on. It'll be out, free, and YT ad-free as soon as I can navigate this claim nonsense.
2bobone

Re: YouTube Copyright ClaimID

Post by 2bobone »

Harrison : If you had the 'chops" to get this done, don't let some electronic gatekeeper discourage you from being heard. Continue to soldier on. WE want to hear the result of your hard work --- and that is all that matters !
WilliamLang

Post by WilliamLang »

i would dispute with the other option - that it's public domain. best of luck with it!
William Lang
Interim Instructor, the University of Oklahoma
Stephens Horns Artist
Long Island Brass Artist
faculty, the Longy School of Music
founding member of loadbang
www.williamlang.org
LeTromboniste

Post by LeTromboniste »

That is standard. As soon as you post a recording of something that someone else has recorded, some rights holder company's bots detect your video and puts a claim on it (usually they don't actually even own or hold rights to a recording of that music, they just detect that there's a copyrighted version, and the algorithm tells them your version might correspond, and they make a predatory claim hoping you either won't notice, or that your version actually is infringing copyright and so you won't dispute)

You just have to dispute it, and write in the reasons that you own the rights to your recording, and the music you perform on it is public domain because composed X hundreds of years ago. They have 30 days to make a counter-claim, which they usually don't. Even if they do, you can then escalate it.
Maximilien Brisson
www.maximilienbrisson.com
Lecturer for baroque trombone,
Hfk Bremen/University of the Arts Bremen
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

WilliamLang wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:49 pm i would dispute with the other option - that it's public domain. best of luck with it!
I did choose the public domain option, but in hindsight I believe that that refers to a recording that is in the public domain, not a composition. A website that has an article on this suggests that I should have chosen "this is my work, I own the rights"

https://concertino.novatekno.net/a-brie ... on-youtube

Thanks for the support everyone. Here is the video, in the meantime. I feel a bit better now after reading the replies and reading a bit more on the subject. Please let me know if you see an ad on it. I intend to take it down straight away if ads appear.

[media]https://youtu.be/fjY9g1Sop68[/media]
Last edited by harrisonreed on Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

No ad on my side.
ƒƒ---------------------------------------------------ƒƒ
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

No ad here. :good:
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

I love organ. This sounds spectacular.

Harrison, I'm checking into what you sent me but I have some fires at work to put out. Will probably be later in day sorry for delay!
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Thanks Matt! Thanks for letting me know about the ads, guys. Hopefully it was just some automatic bot protecting some classical record company (I think it was a company in Spain) and they either don't even look into it, or do, realize it's not their recording, and drop the claim.

Return to “Music Business”