I’ve taken over a big band

All about making money.
Bach5G

I’ve taken over a big band

Post by Bach5G »

I started out playing bone in this band, ended up playing guitar, leaving and, a couple of years ago, returning.

Last summer, the founder (and owner of the book) abruptly moved away. After some discussion, two of us agreed to share the directing. A few others are sharing management duties.

Last night, three months in, we played our first gig, two sets in a small restaurant. I did the first set, my colleague conducted the second.

It went pretty well, not the least because, being unable to handle stress very well, I took a bit of Ativan. I’ve never directed anything before and my conducting instruction consists of being insulted and humiliated by my conducting prof in music school back in the day. And I’m a firm believer in Murphy’s law.

More than a few people commented on the band sounding better than ever. (A couple of weeks ago, I was having pretty serious reservations.) So that’s pretty gratifying. Oddly enough, the only person in the audience that I recognized was a string player in a Symph I’ve playing in this fall.

We still have to sort out the book with the founder but, we made enough to pay the rent for a few more months, and everyone is feeling pretty good about things.
Last edited by Bach5G on Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BGuttman

Re: I’ve taken over a big band

Post by BGuttman »

Congratualations. Hope you have better success than KingFan, who burned out.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

That we’ve got a Politburo running things as opposed to everything falling on one person helps a lot. It’s a lot of work and requires different skill sets.
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

BGuttman wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:38 pm Congratualations. Hope you have better success than KingFan, who burned out.
In hindsite, I didn't get burned out as much as I got forced out. The personnel director pulled in a new drummer knowing he was a jerk, the bass player quit and the drummer's buddy took that slot, and the two of them basically took over rehearsals and have a list of other members they want to replace. I too had the jitters when I started taking over rehearsals as there were two retired band directors in the band along with several players who were better than me, but the band really came together and had a new energy. We were moving forward nicely and having a fun time while getting much better, then the new drummer came on board, then the bass player, and I had to walk away. I was/am battling clinical depression, which didn't help matters. If things had been different, I probably would still be there.

Bach 5G, best of luck to you. Let me know if I can be of assistance.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Hey Kingfan. Did I send you both of my copies of Bill Cunliffe’s arrangement of Do It Again? If yes, could you send one back?

Interesting to hear you talk about people being forced out etc There was a bit of that from one the fellows but no one wanted to go down that path.
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

Bach5G wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:06 pm Hey Kingfan. Did I send you both of my copies of Bill Cunliffe’s arrangement of Do It Again? If yes, could you send one back?

Interesting to hear you talk about people being forced out etc There was a bit of that from one the fellows but no one wanted to go down that path.
My band had no guitar player so it didn't work for us. I passed it on to the lead trumpet player to try with another band he is in, haven't seen him since I quit. I'll get it back and send it to you.
Greg Songer
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

That would be great. Thanks.
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

My buddy said he is mailing it back to me sometime this week. Once I get it, I'll get your address via PM and send it on.
Greg Songer
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Great. I’ve still got the score but I don’t want to have to re-write it.
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

Got the music. PM me with a mailing address.
Greg Songer
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

PM sent

Return to “Music Business”