Bell Receiver Preservation

harrisonreed

Bell Receiver Preservation

Post by harrisonreed »

Does anyone know what type of blue tape manufacturers use to protect the bell receiver (the part that the nut scratches up and that your hand acid eats away)?

Are there any other ways people know to prevent this part from wearing down? Mine takes a beating.
hyperbolica

Re: Bell Receiver Preservation

Post by hyperbolica »

Rubber band, o-ring, get a King or a Rath or a friction fit horn.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

None of those protect against hand acid. I like the o ring idea though
walldaja

Post by walldaja »

One collateral benefit of the Neotech trombone grip is your hand stays away from the horn. Even if you don't install the grip itself and only play with the mounting bracket on the horn it is protected.

FWIW
Dave

2014 Shires Q30GR with 2CL
1982 King 607F with 13CL
Yamaha 421G Bass with Christian Lindberg 2CL / Bach 1 1/2G
Bach Soloist with 13CL
1967 Olds Ambassador with 10CL
1957 Besson 10-10
Jean Baptiste EUPCOMS with Stork 4
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

Are you talking about for like a trigger horn or a straight horn?

You must have monster hands if your hands are big enough to touch the bell receiver on a trigger horn!

Leather wraps are probably your best bet for both. Just have to make sure to take them off and clean under them frequently.

You can also just make sure to wipe down every time you put the horn in the case. Not as foolproof as finding a way to protect the horn with a wrap of some sort but it'll definitely increase the longevity of the part.
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Yeah, I'm talking about the part of the bell that the slide trunion goes into. It usually is the part with the nut on it, and new horns come with blue tape over this area. My hand goes well past the nut and about halfway up to the rotor on my Edwards (any horn, really). My hands are indeed huge... They would be great for piano if I hadn't rolled a one for dexterity.... OK, I'll let myself out...

Slide grips don't cover this area. But blue tape does
walldaja

Post by walldaja »

Have you considered shrink-wrap?
Dave

2014 Shires Q30GR with 2CL
1982 King 607F with 13CL
Yamaha 421G Bass with Christian Lindberg 2CL / Bach 1 1/2G
Bach Soloist with 13CL
1967 Olds Ambassador with 10CL
1957 Besson 10-10
Jean Baptiste EUPCOMS with Stork 4
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

harrisonreed wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:07 am Yeah, I'm talking about the part of the bell that the slide trunion goes into. It usually is the part with the nut on it, and new horns come with blue tape over this area. My hand goes well past the nut and about halfway up to the rotor on my Edwards (any horn, really). My hands are indeed huge... They would be great for piano if I hadn't rolled a one for dexterity.... OK, I'll let myself out...

Leather specialties used to make a different version that does, in fact, cover this area. You had to hold it out of the way to put the horn together, but it had a big flap to cover the nut. I think it also had velcro to hold it down, but I never had one myself.

https://www.lscoguard.com/guards/trombo ... guard.html

Cheers,
Andy
bkessler

Post by bkessler »

elmsandr wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:27 am
harrisonreed wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:07 am Yeah, I'm talking about the part of the bell that the slide trunion goes into. It usually is the part with the nut on it, and new horns come with blue tape over this area. My hand goes well past the nut and about halfway up to the rotor on my Edwards (any horn, really). My hands are indeed huge... They would be great for piano if I hadn't rolled a one for dexterity.... OK, I'll let myself out...

Leather specialties used to make a different version that does, in fact, cover this area. You had to hold it out of the way to put the horn together, but it had a big flap to cover the nut. I think it also had velcro to hold it down, but I never had one myself.

https://www.lscoguard.com/guards/trombo ... guard.html

Cheers,
Andy
I have one of these older leather specialties wraps on my 42. It does cover a little of that area (it covers the nut and just a hair past). My only real complaint with it is that hand pressure against it can occasionally loosen the nut while playing. It happened to me all the time when I velcro'ed the flap shut. I play with it flapping loose now, which isn't too much of a nuisance, and it doesn't happen as often.
BHolleyBrass

Post by BHolleyBrass »

I believe the brand is "Nitto." It's expensive to buy by the roll (~$50), but your local repair shop may give/sell you a few feet. We use it to protect the finish when sanding key feet and similar repairs.
S.E. Shires Ralph Sauer Tenor
AR Resonance ML GR1 72
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

BHolleyBrass wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:22 am I believe the brand is "Nitto." It's expensive to buy by the roll (~$50), but your local repair shop may give/sell you a few feet. We use it to protect the finish when sanding key feet and similar repairs.
Thank you! I can probably buy Nitto brand tape on the cheap here in Japan.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

BHolleyBrass wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:22 am I believe the brand is "Nitto." It's expensive to buy by the roll (~$50), but your local repair shop may give/sell you a few feet. We use it to protect the finish when sanding key feet and similar repairs.
So, it's easy to get Nitto brand tape here in Japan, but there are literally a hundred different kinds. Do you know the tape type you use? It's like two different numbers separated by a hyphen in most cases, looks like.
BHolleyBrass

Post by BHolleyBrass »

Allied Supply doesn't list the specifics in their catalog, but it is a 2" x 660' roll. It seems to be their SPV line in the 2" width.
S.E. Shires Ralph Sauer Tenor
AR Resonance ML GR1 72

Return to “Maintenance”