Doug Elliott mouthpieces

johntarr

Doug Elliott mouthpieces

Post by johntarr »

Becoming the owner of a Conn 72H bass trombone led me to try Doug Elliot’s mouthpieces, both for the bass and for my other horns. I have seen many posts here, and in the old trombone forum with positive comments about his mouthpieces. Someone recommended that I have a skype consultation with Doug and since I was struggling with some range and articulation issues, I decided to try.

Quite quickly, Doug was able to say that I needed a bigger rim based on the shape of my mouth and embouchure. I was skeptical that a larger rim would help but decided to give it a try. Lo and behold, the larger rim feels and plays much better than what I’d been using. He also sent me several sizes of rims, cups and shanks so I could really dial in what works for me. Now I have better sound, articulations and range on my alto and new Lawler trombone. The DE with the Lawler is an incredible combination, better than anything I’ve ever played. The bass trombone set up is also great, although I have nothing to compare it to because I’ve never really played a bass trombone.

Doug’s mouthpieces aren’t just high quality pieces, they also benefit from his incredible knowledge and experience. This is not a paid endorsement and I have nothing to gain other than the satisfaction of posting about an excellent resource. Another benefit is that you can send back what you don’t need, unlike some other brands I’ve tried.

Thanks Doug!
sungfw

Re: Doug Elliott mouthpieces

Post by sungfw »

:good:

Welcome to the [strikethrough]cult[/strikethrough] … club! :biggrin:
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

All hail. Everybody should just get a variety of rims and cups to try from him, dial it in, and get on with life.
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

Even if you don't buy his mouthpieces, he can direct you to a stock mouthpiece that is close to what you need. He told me to try a Bach 5 on my small bores. It worked! Later I got his dialed in combo and kept the Bach as backup.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
Trav1s

Post by Trav1s »

Welcome and congrats!
Travis B.
Trombone player since 1986 and Conn-vert since 2006
1961 24H - LT101/C+/D2
1969 79H - LT102/D/D4
1972 80H - Unicorn
Benge 165F LT102/F+/G8
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

Though I had commented on this earlier, but maybe I forgot to post. It is almost embarrassing for me how quickly he figured out what size would fit and do what I wanted. Probably a fifteen minute discussion and a look and I’ve now been playing the same thing for ~20 years. Every time I think I can do something different or better, I put my lips to this and it just fits like a fine tailored suit.

Cheers,
Andy

Return to “Mouthpieces”