Cimera snippet from a 1926 78rpm

Pictures, video, etc.
Sdoubler

Cimera snippet from a 1926 78rpm

Post by Sdoubler »

A while back I was shedding a Cimera method and posted on the old forum (RIP) asking if anyone had the "Demonstrating Phonograph Records" advertised in the margin.

Amazingly, my post turned up in the internet search of someone doing research for Discogs.com and he sold me several old Cimera discs. I've been meaning to share them, and have just finally dug them out.

Before I clean them and post them recorded with a better microphone, here is a quick and dirty phone recording of some Cimera lip slurs off his "Daily Routine for the Trombone and Baritone," side 4. Enjoy, all you Cimera devotees!

norbie2018

Re: Cimera snippet from a 1926 78rpm

Post by norbie2018 »

Awesome! Is it all demonstrations from the method you referenced or from his Virtuoso Trombone book as well?
Sdoubler

Post by Sdoubler »

It is! I'll post full contents when I have a moment in the next couple days...
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

Wow! Looking forward to it!
ƒƒ---------------------------------------------------ƒƒ
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
Sdoubler

Post by Sdoubler »

Here's what I have:

"Elementary Artist Trombone and Baritone Course" (6"):
Record 1 - Tonguing
Record 4 - Advanced Tonguing
Record 6 - Syncopation
Record 7 - Vibrato

"Cimera Records" (10"): Triple Tonguing, No. 1, 2

"Elementary Guide for the Trombone and Baritone" (10"): No. 1, 2

"Daily Routine for the Trombone and Baritone" (10"): No. 1, 2, 3, 4

"Cimera Records" (10"): Betsy Waltz and Helen Waltz

My record player is now in need of repair after I broke a solder point swapping out needles - ugh. I will see if I can get her up and running again, and I'll post links here when I do!
DDoghouse

Post by DDoghouse »

I just checked pitch on this. When he does the fast arpeggios, the final (highest) arpeggio is in B, not B flat. Not to take anything away from the demo, but it is a little faster than reality. I'm making the leap to guess that the final arpeggio was in 1st.
Doghouse Dan
I'm warning you - I have a trombone and I'm not afraid to use it!
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Recordings of the period could be kinda iffy in RPM. Also, it's possible that Cimera was using a High Pitch instrument, which would make a Bb sound like a B. We weren't there for the recording, so anything could be the reason.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
TheSheriff

Post by TheSheriff »

Great stuff. Having grown up in Chicagoland I had the good fortune of studying with one of Cimera's prized pupils, the late great Art Sares. It was the Cimera studies day in and day out for me for a long time, and it improved my playing by leaps and bounds.

The trombonist that posted the Youtube recording, Steve Duncan, is a friend of mine and a very fine trombonist. He lives in Chicago and I am pretty sure that he went gaga over the Cimera studies after I taught them to him.

Cimera was a monster player.
Lawler model 1
Lawler model 2
Lawler Model 3
Williams 6
Williams L
Kanstul 1606
Conn 71H
Sdoubler

Post by Sdoubler »

Absolutely Scott, I am lucky to have learned some of the Cimera routines as passed down from Cimera to Art Sares and then to you. Thank you for sharing this and so much other knowledge and inspiration through both your teaching and playing!

I've finally gotten around to uploading everything I have. For those interested, here is a playlist:

Unfortunately I broke the 6" disc that had "Tonguing" and "Advanced Tonguing."

These were played on a 1950s Curtis Mathes Hi-Fi and recorded onto my phone via a plug-in mic, then uploaded to YouTube from my phone. Better sound quality would certainly be possible with better gear! Hopefully more of these old instructional recordings will surface and can be preserved for posterity.

Return to “Media”