shires Q rotor valve rattle

jrobin9

shires Q rotor valve rattle

Post by jrobin9 »

Hello I sold someone a shires Q series valve and after playing a couple days, he is saying the valve is rattling only when he plays Eb. Anyone ever seen this or have any suggestions as to how to fix.
Matt K
Verified

Re: shires Q rotor valve rattle

Post by Matt K »

My guess is that its probably not the rotor but one of the screws that holds the bell on being loose. From the player perspective, it sounds like its coming from that general area. See if they can take the horn apart and then put it together. (Just the bell + tuning slide + valve). If they tighten up the threads sufficiently it "should" go away. It could also be the valve cover, which has the same remedy. Take it off and put it back on. There are a couple other loose parts it could be, it happens on just about every make of horn I've ever had and it's very likely minor. The most expensive fix for a similar issue that I've encountered was $20 when I had to have a tuning slide receiver resoldered on a Bach 42.
jrobin9

Post by jrobin9 »

thanks for the info. He has tried all those things. I found some other info on lock rings also causing it on occasion. I guess it only happening at Eb is just a harmonics thing.
ChadA

Post by ChadA »

They might try re-greasing the tuning slides. I've had those buzz on certain pitches when dry. Also, they should try re-lubing the linkage with an appropriately heavy linkage oil. Sometimes ball and socket joints buzz when dry.
afugate

Post by afugate »

My Eastman Shires 684 had something similar. It would rattle on a single pitch (D above the bass clef staff). I finally traced it to a loose solder joint. $15 later, problem solved.

--Andy in OKC
pmeiden

Post by pmeiden »

Have him try playing it in a different physical location.

I was playing my Edwards bass in my basement a number of years ago, and Eb above the staff caused a buzzing that sounded like it was coming from the tuning slides. Checked all the slides, lubed them, made sure all teh modular fittings were snugged. Still had the sound.

Moved to another part of the basement and sat in a chair. Sound went away. Back to standing behind my work bench -- buzzing sound again.

Finally tracked it down to a sympathetic buzz at Eb coming from the flourescent fixture above my workbench. Shoved a piece of cardboard into a gap in the fixture. Buzz gone!!

Return to “Maintenance”