Guess who this young trombone player is...

Discuss the people that make the music here.
Kingfan

Guess who this young trombone player is...

Post by Kingfan »

Digging through my computer files found these two old pics from sometime between 1973 and 1975. Lakeland Community College is in Kirtland, Ohio and as the music program was just getting off the ground they allows some of us high school students to join as they needed the warm bodies. The trombone player on the left next to the drummer was playing lead, and the guy next to him is me (when I had a LOT more hair.) I went on to mediocrity as an amateur trombone player, but the guy in the plaid pants had a little more success. OK, a heck of a lot more. Anybody want to guess who that guy is?
Lakeland Jazz 70s.jpg
Lakeland Jazz 70s tbone.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Kingfan on Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
Doug Elliott

Re: Guess who this young trombone player is...

Post by Doug Elliott »

You gave it away with the name of the file. But that was my guess anyway.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

Doug Elliott wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:39 pm You gave it away with the name of the file. But that was my guess anyway.
:oops: OK, smart guy, you got it. I just now changed the file name so everybody else starts from scratch. Don't spoil it!
Greg Songer
shider

Post by shider »

Well, you mentioned you played with that player a few times in other forum posts, so... I won't name him, but i think there is a signature trombone named after him and he is married (?) to a badass bass trombone player :good:
afugate

Post by afugate »

shider wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:40 am Well, you mentioned you played with that player a few times in other forum posts, so... I won't name him, but i think there is a signature trombone named after him and he is married (?) to a badass bass trombone player :good:
And he played with Woody. Loved seeing him with the Herd back in the early 80s. :)

--Andy in OKC
Vegastokc

Post by Vegastokc »

More importantly, did everyone have bad playing postures back then or may that have been a result of some pre-concert "refreshments"? :lol:
Michael Saffier
I ate twice as much lasagna as I should have...
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

Love the long hair and disco collars. Fashion in the 70's was a fad that I am glad faded away. I remember playing in my college jazz band in the late 70's/early 80's with a blue frilly tux shirt worn open collar on the outside of the coat. We all looked like band John Travolta wannabes.

I met the player in question at ITF last summer and also his wife. Super nice people.
cmcslide

Post by cmcslide »

I remember hearing the player in question back in the early '90s when he was co-leading a big band with Maria Schneider (his wife at the time). Fantastic music! They had a young Chris Potter subbing in the sax section that night...
brumpone

Post by brumpone »

Heard the player in question play 2 sets with students at the Conservatoire in Birmingham, UK a little over 2 months ago. Given all that's happened since, it feels like it could have been the 90s!
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

shider wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:40 am Well, you mentioned you played with that player a few times in other forum posts, so... I won't name him, but i think there is a signature trombone named after him and he is married (?) to a badass bass trombone player :good:
You mean somebody actually reads my posts???? :horror: Winner winner chicken dinner! Well, no chicken dinner, but you da winner anyway... :good:
Greg Songer
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

afugate wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:30 am
And he played with Woody. Loved seeing him with the Herd back in the early 80s. :)

--Andy in OKC
Yep. Saw them in Dallas around that time. Didn't know for sure it was him, but they kept saying the lead bone player's first name only. I walked up to him at the break and said "Are you XXXXXXX" and he said "Hi Greg, how have you been?" and had a beer with me.
Last edited by Kingfan on Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greg Songer
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

Mikebmiller wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:34 am Love the long hair and disco collars. Fashion in the 70's was a fad that I am glad faded away. I remember playing in my college jazz band in the late 70's/early 80's with a blue frilly tux shirt worn open collar on the outside of the coat. We all looked like band John Travolta wannabes.

I met the player in question at ITF last summer and also his wife. Super nice people.
I toured with a 3rd rate big band in the early 80s. I had a blue tux with a red frilly shirt for big band playing, and for our shows we had white pants, white embroidered shirts with puffy sleeves with a deep neck, and red sashes. Good times...
Greg Songer
thatme

Post by thatme »

I will admit I have no idea...
Rath R9 Bass
B&S GR-51 BBb Tuba
Ellefson

Post by Ellefson »

First met him in the mid-1980s when he was on Woody's band. Saw him again in the late-1990s in Seattle. Was great to have him in Bloomington a couple of years ago. Super nice guy and a mind blowing player.

PE
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

It looks like he is rather tall and to me there is just one professional player I come to think of who is that tall. I'm sure there are a bunch, but all others are unknown to me. I also think the way he stands is familiar and also fits that player.

If it is the player I'm thinking of he was here in Sweden around the year 2003. I checked him out back then because the band I played with had the plan to invite him to come and do a concert with us. We also rehearsed a few Maria Schnider compositions which makes it even more plausible I'm thinking of the right person.
If it is him, I think he was on tour here to do concerts anyway so this was to be another gig on the tour for him. I was in the band but unfortunately got tinnitus in that year and therefore I quit the band before the concert, and stopped all playing for half a year. I think there was a concert with him and the band. Too bad I missed it.

The tromboneplayer I'm thinking of is John Fedchook?

/Tom
Digidog

Post by Digidog »

Kingfan wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:05 pm Digging through my computer files found these two old pics from sometime between 1973 and 1975. Lakeland Community College is in Kirtland, Ohio and as the music program was just getting off the ground they allows some of us high school students to join as they needed the warm bodies. The trombone player on the left next to the drummer was playing lead, and the guy next to him is me (when I had a LOT more hair.) I went on to mediocrity as an amateur trombone player, but the guy in the plaid pants had a little more success. OK, a heck of a lot more. Anybody want to guess who that guy is?
Lakeland Jazz 70s.jpg
Thanks for posting these pictures! It's thought provoking to see pictures from the 70's or 80's. To see glimpses of a past I had no idea about, and never will know other than through someone else's photographs. It's not about being sentimental, but rather brooding over how different the times were. I hadn't recognised who the trombonist was, until I read he'd been married to Maria Schneider; then it came to me.

Speaking of people with Ohio notoriety, have you read this?

https://www.amazon.com/My-Friend-Dahme ... 1419702173

Kirtland isn't too far from Akron, and since you seem to be just slightly older than they are (were), you'd probably recognise the scenarios and the area depicted. It's a well told story with a great sense of the times. If you haven't read it, I highly recommend you to.
Welcome to visit my web store: https://www.danieleng.com/

Big Engband on Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/30Vuft1 ... me3sZi8q-A
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

Digidog wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:01 am
Kingfan wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:05 pm Digging through my computer files found these two old pics from sometime between 1973 and 1975. Lakeland Community College is in Kirtland, Ohio and as the music program was just getting off the ground they allows some of us high school students to join as they needed the warm bodies. The trombone player on the left next to the drummer was playing lead, and the guy next to him is me (when I had a LOT more hair.) I went on to mediocrity as an amateur trombone player, but the guy in the plaid pants had a little more success. OK, a heck of a lot more. Anybody want to guess who that guy is?
Lakeland Jazz 70s.jpg
Thanks for posting these pictures! It's thought provoking to see pictures from the 70's or 80's. To see glimpses of a past I had no idea about, and never will know other than through someone else's photographs. It's not about being sentimental, but rather brooding over how different the times were. I hadn't recognised who the trombonist was, until I read he'd been married to Maria Schneider; then it came to me.

Speaking of people with Ohio notoriety, have you read this?

https://www.amazon.com/My-Friend-Dahme ... 1419702173

Kirtland isn't too far from Akron, and since you seem to be just slightly older than they are (were), you'd probably recognise the scenarios and the area depicted. It's a well told story with a great sense of the times. If you haven't read it, I highly recommend you to.
Flared plaid bell bottoms, mutton chop sideburns - oh yeah, the good old days :D. Funny how the hair style was brought back by the likes of Justin Bieber... Wait till I dig out the pic of my old band's show outfits... Haven't read the book, but saw the movie. Cheers!
Greg Songer
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

Found the pics and a flyer from the old band. I must really be bored! I wore a 36 jacket at the time and all they had was a 44, hence the too-long sleeves. I learned the hard way not to wear red underwear with the white bell bottom show outfit as the pants were kinda thin... The truck, nicknamed "The Ark", was my home for 18 months. It was an old Ryder 24' box truck converted for the band. It had double decker bunks, three per side, so 12 of us lived in it. Yeah, the good old days!
Buddy Young Tux crop.jpg
Buddy Young jpeg.jpg
Ark.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg Songer
Digidog

Post by Digidog »

Thanks for sharing!

Those are interesting and fun pictures.

It seems like the slightly larger touring bands that play dance music are totally gone nowdays - as are the corresponding venues that housed them.
Welcome to visit my web store: https://www.danieleng.com/

Big Engband on Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/30Vuft1 ... me3sZi8q-A
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

Digidog wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:52 am Thanks for sharing!

Those are interesting and fun pictures.

It seems like the slightly larger touring bands that play dance music are totally gone nowdays - as are the corresponding venues that housed them.
We had three bones, three trumpets, four saxes (maybe 5, I don't remember), two drummers, keyboards, guitar, and three female vocalists. Our bass player, a trumpet player, a bone player, and a drummer also did vocals. We had another truck like the one in the pic, but with four bunks up front using a side door and the rear 16" used for all the equipment. Our boss rode in his car with his wife. We played anywhere from the Pinnacle Club in NYC and the Beverly Hills Hilton to county fairs in N. Dakota, Elks clubs in Ohio and Colorado, campgrounds in West Virginia, the provincial fair in Saskatchewan, state fair in North Carolina, Shriner's convention in Alabama, etc. We packed up and drove all night to the next gig, sometimes not home for a month at a time. Oh, to be that young and resilient again...
Greg Songer
RustBeltBass

Post by RustBeltBass »

I played a concert there just a few weeks ago. Was arguably one of the last live music performances in Ohio, March 11th.

Nice Music Building.
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

RustBeltBass wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:20 pm I played a concert there just a few weeks ago. Was arguably one of the last live music performances in Ohio, March 11th.

Nice Music Building.
Where was that?
Greg Songer

Return to “Musicians”