Building a slide trumpet

Pictures, video, etc.
Elow

Building a slide trumpet

Post by Elow »

This looks pretty interesting. This was in my recommended tab and i couldn’t help but to click on it. Im pretty interested in how this is gonna turn out.
brassmedic

Re: Building a slide trumpet

Post by brassmedic »

Too bad he doesn't now about Trombone Chat. There have been several threads here about how long a slide needs to be for a given key of the instrument. He spent a lot of time measuring the length of the tubing on all the valves and valve slides. Could have just used math. Or just measure a Bb trombone slide and divide by 2.
Brad Close Brass Instruments - brassmedic.com
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

One thing he's going to find difficult is that he appears to want to use the trombone slide with its crook. That will make it much harder to make a 7 position slide and still have a bell section. If he downsizes the crook (and braces) he can made the slide an inch or so longer which gives him some "wiggle room".
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

I predict that it will end up as a gimmick instrument with no serious repertoire or respect, no matter how it's built.

If you want a slide trumpet, I feel like the Pheonix or the Firebird is the design you want.

slipperyjoe

Post by slipperyjoe »

I'll be curious to see what overall tuning setup will be. I've found that adjustable leadpipe tuning works very well, though I'd like to try something like a Conn 16A with TIS.

It's only a gimmick if treated as such.
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

BGuttman wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:50 am One thing he's going to find difficult is that he appears to want to use the trombone slide with its crook. That will make it much harder to make a 7 position slide and still have a bell section. If he downsizes the crook (and braces) he can made the slide an inch or so longer which gives him some "wiggle room".
If I were him, I'd look at using a crook off of the donor cornet.

The donor trombone looks like it's got a lot of slide wear. Hard to tell from the pic, but I think the inner tubes may be nickel silver stockings soldered onto bare brass tubes. It'll be unfortunate if he puts a lot of effort into this thing only to find out that the slide tubes are too far gone to give decent action.
Bonearzt

Post by Bonearzt »

OR just spend $200 and get a Getzen slide trumpet.
Eric Edwards
Professional Instrument Repair

"If you must choose between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried yet."
"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Bonearzt wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:16 am OR just spend $200 and get a Getzen slide trumpet.
Where's the fun in that? :D
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

Bonearzt wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:16 am OR just spend $200 and get a Getzen slide trumpet.
They're going for between $250 and $400 on eBay right now. The shape of the Getzen bugs me, though. I do like the idea of using a cornet bell to make it look more like a trombone shape. Not that it should really matter, but just for the coolness factor. I had the same idea years ago. I still have the coprion cornet donor bell, but I don't have time to do projects just for fun anymore. :weep:
Brad Close Brass Instruments - brassmedic.com

Return to “Media”