Trombone Chat Brass Choir Christmas Video

Mikebmiller

Re: Trombone Chat Brass Choir Christmas Video

Post by Mikebmiller »

I have gotten videos for Alto 1 and Tenor 4 and audio only for Alto 2. I would like to get everything in by Thanksgiving, which is sneaking up on us pretty fast, I put a column in the spreadsheet to indicate which parts have been received.

I worked on mine tonight and I have to say that even at the slower tempo, some of those licks (like the triplet on beat 3) are tough to hit precisely in time. Fortunately I am using Cakewalk and can take multiple shots at it without having to start over.

If you are like me and having a hard time getting through a full take without screwing up, try this. Do a video of your entire part and even if you mess up, don't stop. Then go back and re-record the part you messed up in a separate audio or video. Send them all to me with a note of where the edited part starts and stops and I can mix it all together.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

For the 8th or triplets on small beat 3, if you think of them as pick-ups into the next beat or bar they are easier.

If you think of them as an individual beat separated from the following downbeat, the timing will be very difficult.
glenp

Post by glenp »

I signed up as a double on tenor 2. I’m making good progress, but I’m going to take my time. I’ll record early next week.
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

Just a gentle reminder that Thanksgiving is a week from tomorrow. Y'all don't be like my community band and make me harass you to get your videos done. Once you put your mind to it, you can knock it out in a half hour.
Last edited by Mikebmiller on Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

The boogey man will get you! :twisted:
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

Harrison's video had to travel 12,000 miles and it still got here on time!
MrHCinDE

Post by MrHCinDE »

Gentle reminder received and noted.

My new microphone arrived yesterday so I‘ve really got no excuse now.

It‘s a Shure MV51 USB/Lightning mic which is just so easy to use. Plug it in to your iPhone, PC or Mac and away you go, you have a large diaphragm condenser directly connected to your device with no need for additional I/O interfaces, preamp or phantom power. First impressions are that it‘s more than enough for my home studio purposes and a noticeable upgrade on the smartphone and camcorder I had tried so far.

The free Shure Motiv App for iPhone/iPad may be useful to others also. It works with Shure USB/Lightning mics and also with the iPhone internal mic. It can capture uncompressed wav and has a nice simple interface including a live meter.
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

MrHCinDE wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:08 pm Gentle reminder received and noted.

My new microphone arrived yesterday so I‘ve really got no excuse now.

It‘s a Shure MV51 USB/Lightning mic which is just so easy to use. Plug it in to your iPhone, PC or Mac and away you go, you have a large diaphragm condenser directly connected to your device with no need for additional I/O interfaces, preamp or phantom power. First impressions are that it‘s more than enough for my home studio purposes and a noticeable upgrade on the smartphone and camcorder I had tried so far.

The free Shure Motiv App for iPhone/iPad may be useful to others also. It works with Shure USB/Lightning mics and also with the iPhone internal mic. It can capture uncompressed wav and has a nice simple interface including a live meter.
Curious to hear that mic in action!
ƒƒ---------------------------------------------------ƒƒ
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
mahlertwo

Post by mahlertwo »

Noted. Sorry, I know the arranger being late on submission is a bad look, I've just gotten super busy with other stuff. Should have it in Monday or Tuesday.
nogginbone

Post by nogginbone »

I might have to admit defeat on this. I've been practicing trying to get my tripples fast enough, but I'm nowhere near and they don't sound good. Think I might be a year or two of practice away from this standard.

I was trying to do tennor 5. I hope my double can make enough noise to make up for me and really sorry for dropping out.

It's been really good to push myself and I do think I've got better practicing this, but not better enough.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

nogginbone wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:26 pm I might have to admit defeat on this. I've been practicing trying to get my tripples fast enough, but I'm nowhere near and they don't sound good. Think I might be a year or two of practice away from this standard.

I was trying to do tennor 5. I hope my double can make enough noise to make up for me and really sorry for dropping out.

It's been really good to push myself and I do think I've got better practicing this, but not better enough.
Let's turn this into a teaching moment. I'd like to show you a technique called "subdivision".

You know the basic pulse of the piece is one bar at 57 to the minute/

Each quarter note is at 57 x 3 or 171 to the minute.

Now divide each quarter into 3 parts (513 to the minute, or roughly 8.5 per second).

Start by setting a metronome (if you don't have one there are apps for a computer or phone) and set it to 57. As it beeps, try to count 3 to the beep: Beep-2-3-Beep-2-3-Beep-2-3. Get comfortable with this pulse.

Now set the metronome to a 3 subdivision. It should do something like Beep-boop-boop-Beep-boop-boop-... just like you were counting.

Now after each beep or boop, put in 2 and 3: Beep-2-3-Boop-2-3-Boop-2-3-Beep-2-3- These are the triplet figure handoffs.

If you are playing one set, pretend you are playing the other two sets at the same time. For example, if you are playing the middle set: 1-2-3-ta-ta-ta-1-2-3.

You may have problems playing at the tempo at first, but keep working on it. You may be surprised. :good:
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
nogginbone

Post by nogginbone »

BGuttman wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:00 pm You may have problems playing at the tempo at first, but keep working on it. You may be surprised. :good:
Thanks for the advise. It's good to have something to work towards, and I think I will get it in the end. Next year I'll wow you all with my skills.
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

Thanks Noggin. A teacher once told me that there is nothing that you can't play - only something that you can't play right now. I have a lot of those things I can't play right now, so I keep slogging along.

Also, I got the bass 2 part today. So I still need all the other bass parts and tenor 2, 3, 5, and 6. This weekend would be an excellent chance to get those done instead of running around trying to catch COVID.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

nogginbone wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:20 pm
BGuttman wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:00 pm You may have problems playing at the tempo at first, but keep working on it. You may be surprised. :good:
Thanks for the advise. It's good to have something to work towards, and I think I will get it in the end. Next year I'll wow you all with my skills.
Noggin, I can't promise, but maybe I can find time to record audio for trombone 5. In a real trombone section, in a community band say, you often have parts doubled up. So if your video is good and the are just a few sections where your triplets are off, they can fade the "section" audio in. Nothing wrong with working as a team like that.
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

I can knock out T5 if nobody else does it.
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

harrisonreed wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:39 pm
nogginbone wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:20 pm

So if your video is good and the are just a few sections where your triplets are off, they can fade the "section" audio in. Nothing wrong with working as a team like that.
Harrison is right. It's easy to edit out a few bad spots in the audio. Heck for my community band videos I have had some people who were in the video, but were muted the whole time in the audio. I didn't tell them, though!
nogginbone

Post by nogginbone »

Mikebmiller wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:51 pm It's easy to edit out a few bad spots in the audio. Heck for my community band videos I have had some people who were in the video, but were muted the whole time in the audio. I didn't tell them, though!
I'll try to record something this weekend. I'm very happy to be muted out. There will be several 'bad spots' so I will definitely need someone backing up my part. Thanks everyone for being so kind and helpful.
euphobone

Post by euphobone »

Mikebmiller wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:58 am Ladies, gents, and bass trombone players,

As most of us have nowhere to play these days, I would like to propose that we do a collaborative video with members of this forum. I was thinking of some sort of Christmas bone choir tune. I have actually gotten pretty good at audio and video editing during this time and I am willing to put it all together. What we need is a nice trombone choir arrangement of some sort of Christmas tune and any number of players who want to be part of the project. I would need to cap it at about 20-30 as my computer really starts slowing down when I get more tracks than that.

So, does anyone have suggestions for some music? Something with 8-12 parts would be nice. And I would need either a midi backing track or a recording of a previous performance for people to listen to while doing their video.

So if you are interested in participating, post up and let's get something going.
Count me in!
Raul Escobar
1974 King 4BF Silver Sonorous
1972 King Duo Gravis, Hammond 20BLL
1985 Willson 2900BS
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Raul:

Search back in this thread for a signup spreadsheet and the parts. If you want to use your Duo Gravis, check out Bass 1 or Bass 2 (the higher bass parts). Mike can take two players to a part, and most parts seem to have only one player (and many of us -- including me -- have yet to submit).

Should be fun.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
bwanamfupi

Post by bwanamfupi »

Mikebmiller wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:53 pm I can knock out T5 if nobody else does it.
I'm signed up to double on T5. I'm giving it a go, but the triplets at the quick tempo are a challenge. No complaints if I'm recorded over either!
Shawn Collins
Trombone hobbyist
bwanamfupi

Post by bwanamfupi »

nogginbone wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:18 am
I'll try to record something this weekend. I'm very happy to be muted out. There will be several 'bad spots' so I will definitely need someone backing up my part. Thanks everyone for being so kind and helpful.
[/quote]

Noggin, are you using alternate slide positions for the triplets? The Bflat - F - Dflat can be 5-4-5, and the F-C-A can be 4-3-3. That helped me get my tempo up a little (plus Harrison's suggestion about thinking of it as a pickup). Not sure I'll pull it off successfully, but it's a shot.
Shawn Collins
Trombone hobbyist
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

bwanamfupi wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:24 pm
nogginbone wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:18 am
Noggin, are you using alternate slide positions for the triplets? The Bflat - F - Dflat can be 5-4-5, and the F-C-A can be 4-3-3. That helped me get my tempo up a little (plus Harrison's suggestion about thinking of it as a pickup). Not sure I'll pull it off successfully, but it's a shot.
Bb-F-Db is short 5 / 6 /5

Lower F-C-Ab can be 6-6-3 or 6-6-T5 (just a little in from 6).
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
mahlertwo

Post by mahlertwo »

You could also play F-C-Ab T1-T1-3 with a little adjustment. That's what I've been doing.
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

Hey y'all. For purposes of this project, I will define "Thanksgiving" as going through next weekend.

Thanks!
MStarke

Post by MStarke »

I have done and uploaded my video. The audio only recording I already uploaded is certainly better from that perspective ;-)

Thanks!
Markus Starke
https://www.mst-studio-mouthpieces.com/

Alto: Conn 35h, Kanstul, Weril
Tenor: 3x Conn 6h, Blessing medium, Elkhart 88H, modern 88HT, Greenhoe Conn 88HT, Kruspe, Heckel, Piering replica
Bass: Conn 112h, Greenhoe, Conn 60h
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

Got it thanks. You forgot to wear your ugly Christmas sweater. Also, Harrison gets the prize for best dance moves during the rests.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

I made them as bad as possible out of spite of ANY rests in my part! Let alone 50 bars or whatever. :twisted:
MStarke

Post by MStarke »

Mikebmiller wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:48 am Got it thanks. You forgot to wear your ugly Christmas sweater. Also, Harrison gets the prize for best dance moves during the rests.
Sorry :idk: Ugly Christmas sweater is not that popular in Germany! And yes, my performance certainly was not too entertaining visually - but I tried to have a very tromboney background :good:
Markus Starke
https://www.mst-studio-mouthpieces.com/

Alto: Conn 35h, Kanstul, Weril
Tenor: 3x Conn 6h, Blessing medium, Elkhart 88H, modern 88HT, Greenhoe Conn 88HT, Kruspe, Heckel, Piering replica
Bass: Conn 112h, Greenhoe, Conn 60h
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

Yeah, I guess ugly sweaters are an American thing. We have the classiest Christmas traditions. Ugly sweaters and Grandma Got Run Over By. A Reindeer.
nogginbone

Post by nogginbone »

I've spent the evening recording and I recorded the first half with the tripples knocked out. It's not great and I don't have a christmas jumper, so I put up some lights.

Thanks for the tips on alternate positions. With more time and practice think I could get it.

Recording yourself is a real eye opener. I need to work on the smoothness of my long notes too. Feel free to knock my volume right down.
mahlertwo

Post by mahlertwo »

harrisonreed wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:13 pm I made them as bad as possible out of spite of ANY rests in my part! Let alone 50 bars or whatever. :twisted:
Should I just hire some people and set up a Complaints Department?
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

mahlertwo wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:00 am
harrisonreed wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:13 pm I made them as bad as possible out of spite of ANY rests in my part! Let alone 50 bars or whatever. :twisted:
Higher, faster, louder, less rest!!

Loool!! I was totally joking
mahlertwo

Post by mahlertwo »

harrisonreed wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:07 am
mahlertwo wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:00 am

As was I, haha. Also, when I take "Higher, faster, louder, less rest!!" to the extent I'm naturally inclined to in my writing, people tend to threaten me with violence, so...
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

mahlertwo wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:36 am
harrisonreed wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:07 am

As was I, haha. Also, when I take "Higher, faster, louder, less rest!!" to the extent I'm naturally inclined to in my writing, people tend to threaten me with violence, so...
There's no way I'd be comfortable playing that part live, as ossia'ed (mostly the high Bb, but you can hear a bit of a chip double tonguing the Fs too :eek: ). But it was a joy to record. Thanks again for the arrangement, no matter what comes from this collaboration. I hope we get it though!

(Lol, all the edits, holy autocowreckt)
Last edited by harrisonreed on Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:52 am, edited 3 times in total.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

That 50 bar rest made me homesick for my orchestral parts ;)
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

BGuttman wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:50 am That 50 bar rest made me homesick for my orchestral parts ;)
    I wonder how long the director would let you go with interpretive dancing during long rests in an orchestra?
    Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

Here is Harrison's big dance!

https://youtu.be/I3RG6ueGceM

Check out my other videos while you are on my "Channel." The Mag 7, Incredibles, and Don't Stop Me Now are all recent quarantine projects with members of my community band.
    BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

harrisonreed wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:54 am
      BGuttman wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:50 am That 50 bar rest made me homesick for my orchestral parts ;)
      I wonder how long the director would let you go with interpretive dancing during long rests in an orchestra?
      Good way to get fired! :lol:
      Bruce Guttman
      "Almost Professional"
      Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

I think updating the original post with instructions would be really good. Short and concise. For example, I've recorded my part (bass 4) but wading through 4 pages of replies to try to figure out what the next step (uploading, etc...) is is difficult.
      Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

Here's my video (with my audio, but no click or MIDI):

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AhV82aTgKho-h-gbN2z ... Q?e=sv8S1t

This is bass 4.
      Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

Thanks Neo. This is the google drive upload folder. Bruce - maybe you can make a sticky with this link in it so we don't have to keep re-posting.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
      BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Best I can do is edit your original post with this address.

OK. Post your videos to the address I added to the first post of the Thread.
      Bruce Guttman
      "Almost Professional"
      Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

So just to update, I have Alto 1 and 2. Tenor 1, 4, and half of 5, and bass 2 and 4. FWIW, you guys sound great. This is going be be an excellent recording when we are finished.
      Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

Here is a screen shot of what I have so far:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/MoydKPJjDxFEEo2z5

That's me in the red shirt on the bottom. I bought a green screen background from Amazon so I can have more interesting backgrounds than just the closet door of my office/practice room.
      glenp

Post by glenp »

Mike: Thanks for the extension through the end of the week. I will record and upload tenor 2 on Friday. I’ve got it all pretty smoothed out but I’m still working on a breathing issue between 105 and 113.

Everyone sounds great. Can’t wait to see the final product!
      mahlertwo

Post by mahlertwo »

glenp wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:54 pm Mike: Thanks for the extension through the end of the week. I will record and upload tenor 2 on Friday. I’ve got it all pretty smoothed out but I’m still working on a breathing issue between 105 and 113.

Everyone sounds great. Can’t wait to see the final product!
      If you need to drop a note or cut it off early to get a breath, that's fine. Everything's doubled in that section.
      Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

Note to MStarke - you said you might do bass 2. I got Neo to send me an audio of that part, so I have that one doubled. But I still don't have bass 1 or 3, so if you want to do one of those, feel free.
      Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

Here is a draft of the audio mix so far. Very rough - I haven't messed with levels or reverb yet.

MrHCinDE

Post by MrHCinDE »

Tenor 2 audio uploaded, video will be today or tomorrow
      (feel free to edit and mute me, I slightly fluffed a couple of bits - it's a team effort right!)
      harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Mikebmiller wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:11 am Here is a draft of the audio mix so far. Very rough - I haven't messed with levels or reverb yet.

I wonder if the audio might need to be nudged to get everyone to line up. The last gliss might be the spot to look at. The triplet sections especially are not lining up.

I think we all knew it would be a challenge to get the audio lined up with everyone.
      Last edited by harrisonreed on Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Performance”