Getting started again

Looking for opportunities?
Cwh1186

Getting started again

Post by Cwh1186 »

Hello,

I graduated with a BA in music performance in 2014, stopped playing after I had kids for a few years and I’ve been getting back into playing again. I suppose my main question is have any of you ever taken so much time off and then went back to get your masters degree, and if so what sort of advice do you have?

Thank you
OneTon

Re: Getting started again

Post by OneTon »

Don’t wait. Welcome to trombone chat.
Richard Smith
Wichita, Kansas
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

My realism dose, and I'm assuming that you're not financially independent: Now is a terrible time to be going to begin school for an advanced degree in music performance after not playing for 7-8 years, with a family.

You already went to school for that, and did not pursue it as a career when times were actually good. Going to school for it again 8 years later after almost all live performances have collapsed and the state of live acoustic music is as bad as it's ever been is not a smart move. The field is so specialized now that the odds are really stacked against you

[Realism dose complete.]

If you aren't worried about money, or if you know that music is the only thing you can do and be happy in life, do it. Have a plan on how to get schooling without wracking up debt. I think family is the most important thing here, and giving up a career for kids is a huge decision that you made. So, whatever you do, think of your family first.
Cwh1186

Post by Cwh1186 »

harrisonreed wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:02 pm My realism dose, and I'm assuming that you're not financially independent: Now is a terrible time to be going to begin school for an advanced degree in music performance after not playing for 7-8 years, with a family.

You already went to school for that, and did not pursue it as a career when times were actually good. Going to school for it again 8 years later after almost all live performances have collapsed and the state of live acoustic music is as bad as it's ever been is not a smart move. The field is so specialized now that the odds are really stacked against you

[Realism dose complete.]

If you aren't worried about money, or if you know that music is the only thing you can do and be happy in life, do it. Have a plan on how to get schooling without wracking up debt. I think family is the most important thing here, and giving up a career for kids is a huge decision that you made. So, whatever you do, think of your family first.
To clarify, it hasn’t been 8 years since I last played regularly, that is when I finished my degree. It’s been more like 3 years since I last played and after being back at it I feel like my playing is picking back up rather quickly. I understand all your points and it definitely helps set a realistic perspective.
officermayo

Post by officermayo »

Cwh1186 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:52 am Hello,

I graduated with a BA in music performance in 2014, stopped playing after I had kids for a few years and I’ve been getting back into playing again. I suppose my main question is have any of you ever taken so much time off and then went back to get your masters degree, and if so what sort of advice do you have?

Thank you
I laid off for five years due to health issues and just got back to playing last January.
Took a few months to get my chops back.
"When in doubt, blow out" - MGySgt M.A. Mayo, Marine Band

The contest entry form said "Void where prohibited", so I peed on the Captain's desk.
Cwh1186

Post by Cwh1186 »

officermayo wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:03 pm
Cwh1186 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:52 am Hello,

Thank you
I laid off for five years due to health issues and just got back to playing last January.
Glad to hear you’re back into playing! What job did you have before being laid off? Are you back to playing professionally?
officermayo

Post by officermayo »

Cwh1186 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:33 pm
officermayo wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:03 pm
Glad to hear you’re back into playing! What job did you have before being laid off? Are you back to playing professionally?
COPD, asthma, three left shoulder surgeries and macular degeneration in the one eye that has vision. :-)

I'm back playing the 2nd book in a big band, teaching and working with the show band at the community college.
"When in doubt, blow out" - MGySgt M.A. Mayo, Marine Band

The contest entry form said "Void where prohibited", so I peed on the Captain's desk.
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

officermayo wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:56 pm
Cwh1186 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:33 pm

COPD, asthma, three left shoulder surgeries and macular degeneration in the one eye that has vision. :-)

I'm back playing the 2nd book in a big band, teaching and working with the show band at the community college.
Good for you!

To the OP: there’s a good book by Ken Ebo on starting to play after a long break. He uses a set of exercises that can help get the “feel” of playing and not tax yourself or lead to frustration with “how I sound now vs. how I sounded then” or even “how I should sound now”. As with most things, it’s the approach/attitude he outlines that’s more important than the exercises.

https://www.mountainpeakmusic.com/commo ... -time-off/
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
Cwh1186

Post by Cwh1186 »

Kbiggs wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:39 am
officermayo wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:56 pm

Good for you!

To the OP: there’s a good book by Ken Ebo on starting to play after a long break. He uses a set of exercises that can help get the “feel” of playing and not tax yourself or lead to frustration with “how I sound now vs. how I sounded then” or even “how I should sound now”. As with most things, it’s the approach/attitude he outlines that’s more important than the exercises.

https://www.mountainpeakmusic.com/commo ... -time-off/
Thank you for this. This might be along the lines of what I’m looking for. I agree that attitude and approach are some of the most important thing with anything in life, and I feel like the break I took gave me a perspective about that I might not have learned without the break.
AndersLarson

Post by AndersLarson »

Best advice: start slow and make sure to play with a healthy embouchure ALL the time. It will take some time to build up strength again, so main focus should be making your trombone SOUND beautiful all the time, not forcing anything out of it.

Only play for 15-20 at a time and take several breaks. This will help prevent bad embouchure habits sneak in when you try to squeeze too much out of your horn in one sitting.

Finally: play stuff you think is fun! That will help keep you motivated. Lots of content can be found here for players of all genres: digitaltrombone.com
Disclaimer: yes, it's my site and I am very biased :-) But there's a free trial so you can check it out without being charged.

Let me know how your chops progress!
Anders
Anders Larson
Jazz trombone player, conductor, arranger and educator
Founder of https://www.digitaltrombone.com - the largest collection of trombone exercises and sheet music online. 🎶 🎵
BobbyBassClef

Post by BobbyBassClef »

New user with a similar story. Graduated music school, then went in a different direction. There was a period of ~10 years where I only played a few times a year. Then I got back into playing a lot. Rehearsing 5 times a week with multiple groups. It took me almost a year before I felt like I was back to my college level. But I took it slow, and was not going back to music school. As others have said, start slow and focus on the fundamentals: breathing, embouchure, posture, etc. The rest will come. Most importantly, have fun.

Return to “Gigs, Events, Jobs, & Vacancies”